Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • disc brake advice needed….
  • gonzy
    Free Member

my friend has finally replaced his stolen trek remedy with another remedy..but this on comes with avid brakes and he hates them. he’s seen a pair of hopes that have taken his fancy, but what he’d like to know is can he get an adapter to fit the front brake as the forks are post mount and the brakes are I.S….normally i would say this is easy but the hopes come with a 203mm front rotor…

stanleigh
    Free Member
    raisinhat
    Free Member

You might be able to pick something up on ebay, but it’s so rare these days to get IS calipers, so you might be looking a while.

Superstar don’t have the right adaptor, you need an IS-PM F203.

munrobiker
    Free Member

If they’ve got IS calipers they must be quite an old set of Hopes, they’ve been post mount with adaptors for years. If they are of that age I’d not bother.

In fact, either way I’d not bother and buy new Shimano XTs.

gonzy
    Free Member

the ones he’s seen are a pair of mono m4’s. the front caliper is a no.8
    they’re going really cheap and are in very good condition. he cant afford to buy a new pair brakes at the moment as he’s blown all his money on the bike even though it was a used one he bought…he’s still smarting over the theft of his previous remedy as the insurance refused to pay out so needs to get back up and running as economically as possible…

alanf
    Free Member

Post to IS adapters usually add 20mm to the disc size and as it’s a no. 8 which is already 203mm you would need a 223mm disc.

Probably too much for the forks and you would likely struggle to find one as only a small number of brakes had this size discs.

I would consider something else.

munrobiker
    Free Member

How much are they? A new set of SLXs is about £140 from Germania.

Also, as above, they will need a rotor that doesn’t really exist. By the time you’ve spent the extra you may as well have bought something more modern and more powerful.

gonzy
    Free Member

he can get both the front and rear for £70.
    i had a feeling that would be the case but wanted to make sure before i broke the bad news to him.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘disc brake advice needed….’ is closed to new replies.