Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Disc brake adaptor fitting
  • Houns

Daft question, but I need to ask it.

Every brake set I’ve had has either fitted on to the fork as is, or has been part of a build that a bike shop has done for me. I’m currently building up a bike with IS mount tabs on the fork, the brakes (Hope mono mini’s) are post mount fitting and the disc size is 183mm

Popped to the LBS today and they have sorted me out the right mount (Hope mount “J”), now I know I should’ve asked this whilst there, which way up does it fit?

With the “J” facing up there is very minimal clearance between it and the disc, with the “J” facing the floor there is more clearance but doubting if this is right.

Can they be used both ways, or am I facing potential death by running it upside down?

Thanks

Numpty

Jamie
    Free Member

There is an arrow on Shimano adapters. Nuffin like this on the Hope?

Houns

Nope, just the letter stamped in the metal

Jamie
    Free Member

I would assume the letter goes at the top.

peteimpreza

Letter at the top.

Houns

That’s what I initially thought, but the clearance was so little you’d struggle to get a piece of paper through it

Houns

I’ll try again later/tomorrow. Shall reseat wheel in dropouts and tighten everything up, shall post pix up here if I still have doubts

Houns

Some pix

First one, the right (as in number at the top) way up. You can see the lower part touching the disc, the upper has more clearance so this definitely isn’t straight

Second, the wrong way (adaptor reversed, number wheel side pointing down) lots more clearance and looks in line

So you can see why I’m thinking that the wrong way is the right way to go?!

carlos
    Free Member

Just offer the calliper up to which ever way you now have the mount. It’ll either fit and work or it won’t. Simples 😉

Houns

Caliper works both ways, but I think (will check properly when I don’t have a migraine) there is less pad biteage in the lower pic

coatesy
    Free Member

The letter should face the outside of the bike.You’re experiencing all of the tolerances adding up in the wrong way, probably be a good idea to get the frame mounts faced to make sure that they’re square anyway, and open up the clearance at the same time.

Houns

Hmm, that’d mean taking approx. 3mm off the tab to get enough clearance, isn’t that a fair bit?

alanf
    Free Member

Is there any paint on the faces of the fork mounts? If there is I would clean back to bare metal and try again.
    Are those hope floating rotors? There can be issues with clearance when using these due top the extra thickness of the clips between the carrier and braking surface.
    The top pic looks the correct mounting orientation for the mount though.

Houns

Yeah, floaters and yep, tabs still have paint on.

alanf
    Free Member

In that case I would remove the paint on the mounting faces on the fork and see how you go.
    Might just give you enough clearance.

STATO
    Free Member

Combining a shimano hub and hope brake never seems to work as it should in my experience, especially when you add in a hope rotor. Hope hubs have the rotor marginly closer to the hub centre so that’s why your experiencing rubbing. You could solve by modifying your frame but personally I’d just ditch the floating rotor.

STATO
    Free Member

Mind, if its only the bottom touching the rotor (and you can still centre the calliper over the rotor, ie it has enough lateral movement) then taking the paint off the surface should be the first try.

As long as it’s not actually touching, I wouldn’t worry about it being close.

Just a thought, but there are spacers available to go behind the rotor to bring it closer to the caliper, useful for some IS fitting brakes.
    Is it possible a previous owner has fitted one to your hub ?

Edit;
    Oh, and I wouldn’t file the mountings on the frame down either.
    If it does turn out to be a problem and the disc does touch the adapter, file the adapter.

Houns

Hubs are part of a brand new wheel build. Going to give lbs a buzz later and get it booked in for facing

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Disc brake adaptor fitting’ is closed to new replies.