Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Disc brake adapters – That little bit of wire?
  • letmetalktomark

Just received a new shimano brake adapter and have got a little bit of wire to tie the mounting bolts in together?

Never seen this before.

It looks like its to stop/reduce the risk of the mounting undoing 😕

Never had this problem before.

Do I need to use it?

Diawl
    Free Member

catsplums
    Free Member

really, as in lock wire in a way they do for racebikes? I have not seen that before and would seem odd for mtb where a touch of threadlock would be fine I am sure and not need the pliars for the lockwire twisting!!! post a picture I am interested 🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

Do I need to use it?

No, its totally up to you.

Marko
    z1ppy

Does it actually come with bolt that have a hole through them for the wire? Or are you just supposed to wind it round std bolts?

Just interested, as lock wire does seem OTT, but then I do like the little piece of metal for shimano brake disc rotor’s that go between 2 rotor bolts & then fold over to stop the bolts unwinding.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Got several of these, never fitted them, either with the holy bolts or not. Not needed

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Seeing as it takes all of 30 seconds to install, you may as well use it!

letmetalktomark

All points taken on board.

The only reason I questioned useing it is that I have never had a problem with systems not using a piece of wire.

Will have a play but it looks like an extra area to attract mud.

z1ppy – Member

Does it actually come with bolt that have a hole through them for the wire?

I have the same instructions as in Marko’s link.

Yep drilled bolt heads.

z1ppy

Cool, I’d probably use them then.
    As it an extra bit of safety at no cost, and it’s not like you mess with brake adapter once fitted, so it’s hardly going to get in the way of things.

cookeaa

I’ve had the Drilled bolt heads and Wire come with several adaptors, only ever bothered to fit it once and that got snipped off when I needed to adjust/replace something, never bothered with them since and I’ve not died yet…

It’s belt and braces measure, no harm in fitting it, minimal benefits; entirely up to you…

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you dont do it properly its useless anyway.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I didn’t bother and 2 years on the bolts are still in place.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Disc brake adapters – That little bit of wire?’ is closed to new replies.