Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Disc advice please!
  • filks

I have formula oro K18s. They’re great but recently have started to really stick and not move back away from the rotor to the point i’m fighting to keep the bike moving! I keep pushing them back and they’ll be OK until I have braked a few times then they stay ‘on’.

I’ve bled them well and tried to clean them. I’m thinking that I’ll get a load of degreaser into the caliper and then lube the pistons that push the pads with some brake fluid. Is this sensible or should I try something else?

Thanks for your wisdom…..

Northwind

Careful with degreasers, some degreasers will be perfectly suitable, others not so much. Soapy water and a soft brush usually a good start with calipers.

First, do the levers return when they stick? And apart from the sticking is the lever feel consistent? It’s possible it’s a brake fluid issue but it wouldn’t be my first assumption. And Oro m/c seals are very durable

If it was mine there’s various things I’d do tbh, I’d be checking the levers are moving freely and also checking the calipers are pushing reasonably equally first.

Oros have 2-piece calipers so providing you’re comfortable with the work, the best bet if it’s sticking at the caliper end is to strip them right down, get the pistons out, check and clean the seals etc. (easier to do this with split calipers than with monoblocks but there’s tricks to it). Replacement seals and pistons are available but it’s a reasonable expense so unless things look worn I’d try again with the original ones. Trying to clean them with the pistons in might work but if they’re gummed up enough to stick on then I’d be a bit surprised if it does tbh.

filks

Thanks

The lever is moving perfectly (ie same as when I first got them) and the bleed I’ve done I think went well.

I’ll try soap and a small brush first. Are you implying that some degreasers will damage the seals?

thanks again

Northwind

Some could attack the seals or even the metal, though it’s not really that likely tbh- a few degreaser products are pretty brutal. Others can contain abrasives which isn’t instantly a problem but might become one later. It’s not a massive risk but better to avoid it if you can, brake cleaner or isopropyl alcohol takes away any risk.

The main problem is access tbh, it’s hard to get to the inside of the caliper which no surprise is also where the worst muck gathers!

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Use silicone spray on the pistons.

Topic Closed

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Disc advice please!’ is closed to new replies.