Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Disbanded NHS trust fined – please explain that to me.
  • tthew

North Staffs NHS trust was disbanded last year due to poor performance, and has just been fine £4M for the unnecessary deaths of patients, which begs 2 questions from me.

1. Who is being punished here, and what is the point? (I don’t think the victims relatives are getting it as compensation)
    2. Who is paying?

scaredypants

NHS innit – imaginary money

mattyfez

An exercise in creative accounting at a guess, the reality is it will come out of the main nhs pot.

The tax payer pays for the nhs, so ultimately it’s costing the tax payer.

project
    Free Member

The management and staff who failed in so many ways to protect and care for their patients,should be publicly named and shamed, fined huge amounts of money, just like rouge traders or alledged cowboy builders.

scaredypants

should be publicly named and shamed

They were, before being dispatched to other high profile NHS jobs IIRR

Oh, and rouge cowboys, you say ? What have you got against them ?

mattyfez

I agree with the naming and shaming.. I’ve had family die at the hands of the nhs through sheer negligence, but also witnessed truly selfless nhs nurses and doctors who’s compassion cannot be put into words.

To hide failings as institutional and promoting the incompetent sideways is the real kick in the teeth for the tax payer.

br
    Free Member

The management and staff who failed in so many ways to protect and care for their patients,should be publicly named and shamed, fined huge amounts of money, just like rouge traders or alledged cowboy builders.

Often though decisions taken at a local level can be traced to decisions/polices decided at the top, which is why they won’t be…

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve had family die at the hands of the nhs through sheer negligence, but also witnessed truly selfless nhs nurses and doctors who’s compassion cannot be put into words.

Problem is, there can often be a fine line between the two on the front line.

It’s the systemic failures that need to be punished.

Drac

They will be named if it’s down to individuals but not if it’s a failure as a trust as a whole.

kimbers

I thought the mid staffs thing was essentially a staffing crisis

The whole way the NHS is funded and managed is madness, when a hospital as good as Addenbrookes is put into special measures you know that the government has an agenda against public healthcare

scaredypants

I thought the mid staffs thing was essentially a staffing crisis

I think a staffing crisis born of over-zealous costcutting and demotivation, over-emphasis of targets vs “care” ‘n’shit

As b r suggests, points-make-prizes and multiple NHS redisorganisations didn’t help with preventing any of this

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Disbanded NHS trust fined – please explain that to me.’ is closed to new replies.