Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Disaster! Woodpile content.
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

The recent weather has soaked my ready woodpile just after it was dry enough to burn well.
    It’s sap-free but wet with rain water, I’ve partially covered the Woodside with a tarp (leaving plenty of wind access).
    Anything else I can do but wait?
    🙁

richmars

A few frosty days and it will soon dry.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Hope So, was looking forward to a nice warm Xmas fire!

richmars

Bring a basket indoors or in garage/shed. Wind helps but not a must.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Currently have a basket drying by the etiquette fuelled stove.
    Looks like that will be the way forward.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s still dry on the inside. Split a few. The rest will dry naturally while burning…

neilnevill
    Free Member

Rain doesn’t soak in too much so it should dry fairly soon. If damp they can be harder to light but split them smaller and they will and once fire is going they won’t be damp enough to be a problem.

Try stacking bark up and side on to the rain to lessen the soak up.

shermer75
    Free Member

I want an etiquette fuelled stove

spooky_b329

It’ll be fine…might be a different story if stored uncovered through a rainy winter, but if the tarps blow off and it gets soaking it will soon dry 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Briquette! I despise the autocorrect on this damn phone!!!!

Houns

But it on a fire, soon dry out 😛

outofbreath
    Free Member

For the last 6 years all my logs have been stored outside. They get wet when it’s wet, they dry when it’s dry. Even when it’s really wet only the outer logs see any water, two rows down they’re bone dry.

I’m currently working my way though a pile that were stacked in the open in 2013, they’re fine.

I have a small store that I keep topped up with dry logs, so if it ever rained for weeks on end I won’t be stuck.

I will build wood sheds one day but purely for convenience – so I don’t have to stack them tidily and then keep moving wood about before use. If it’s all under cover I can sling it in once, pull it out once. Rather than having to shift logs on dry days into the ‘tertiary’ store IYSWIM.

So rain water on logs? Not a problem.

Personally, I never burn wood unless it’s bone dry but maybe that’s a bit OCD.

tcomc1000
    Free Member

I have just purchased some kiln dried ash….i feel dirty for buying wood rather than chopping it down!
    Hats off to you self driers. Anyone burnt ash before? any good
    (sorry for partial thread hijack)
    M

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The stuff I sat near the stove last night has dried out a treat, if nothing else I’ll just keep doing that.
    I’ve got 4 woodpiles & three are wet, the problem is that the dry pile is A) running out & B) hardwood, so difficult to get going without some nice dry soft wood.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Ive been storing / seasoning wood outdoors in Holzhausens for the last few years. The outside edges of the outer ‘skin’ logs get discoloured and would appear to be damp. Their covered ends are bone dry. The inner core is as it was when stacked.

I dismantle the Holzhausen and restack it in a lean to covered stack a bit nearer the house. Within a week, even the ‘dampest’ logs are super dry. Be aware that the wood will still absorb moisture from the atmosphere.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Anyone burnt ash before? any good

Ash is great…. ironically if there’s a wood that burns well without drying (especially in a kiln) it Ash!!

I wonder if they did even kiln dry it?

sharkbait
    Free Member

The inner core is as it was when stacked

I really hope you don’t mean that the inner core doesn’t really dry out well (but I could believe it)!
    If so, does that means that the Holzhausen isn’t necessarily worth the effort if you’ve got to restack the core to get it dry?

scotabroad

Dry wood is hydrophobic so no issue if it gets rained on when already dry

thecaptain
    Free Member

The wood I leave out uncovered certainly gets wet.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I really hope you don’t mean that the inner core doesn’t really dry out well (but I could believe it)!
    If so, does that means that the Holzhausen isn’t necessarily worth the effort if you’ve got to restack the core to get it dry?

Apologies. I meant it’s colour. The cores are bone dry, I think the holzhausen is the best seasoning solution if you have a good windy site for one. Mine are eight feet in diameter and about the same height. It takes a lot of wood to build one, much more than a domestic user would normally have or could realistically process.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Disaster! Woodpile content.’ is closed to new replies.