Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Disaster at Kirroughtree – Nuts cracked on Nut Cracker section
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

Well there I was whizzing around doing some Mad Skillz * cough * with Forge, El Phil up from London and Mrs Forge (who joined us on some sections). I hucked two massive drop-offs on the Nut Cracker when there was an almighty crack between my legs and my saddle flew off. Yep – the nut had cracked, the one attaching my saddle to the seat post so sadly for me, after just an hour or so’s riding, that was it.

The Break Pad didnt have anything that fitted so had to pop in to Castle Douglas to get a new bolt. Oh well. May well return tomorrow to give it another shot – conditions today though were just perfect.

I am sure Forge will be along in a few hours to tell me just how good the rest of the ride was!

forge197
    Free Member

Simon the rest of the trail was excellent really good.

Phil also sheared a bolt on his seat and had to nurse his bike back too!!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well I can’t remember who but it would be too wierd if the other group of STworlders had this happen too! Maybe Sharki’s hex has moved from the Quantocks over the boarder!

Oh – and I lost the top bit of the clamp so had to buy a whole new seat post in Dumfries today in order to be sure of a ride tomorrow!

nigew
    Free Member

You ended a ride because your seat came off?

Should of cable tied/ taped it to the crossbar and carried on, its a bugger on the climbs but at least you can still sort of enjoy the descents 😉

If you get chance ride it all, Kirroughtree is still my favourite of the 7 Stanes ive done.

cynic-al
    Free Member

a GIRL won a 50 mile mtb race with a broken seatpost!

How does that make you feel? 😉

Here she is

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

haha! Could be worse, had a climbing accident on Friday afternoon………..

Landed in my harnes, no problems, felt the rope bounce me a bit, then my nut sliping down ‘tween harness and leg………….

que lots fo screeming as it takes up my full bodyweight. Oddly the guy belaying me back down found it hillarious to bring me down quickly, then stop me 6″ off the ground!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Oh dear. In my delirious sickened state, I read the words ‘Nut Cracker’, and see the pics of The Ralli, and I now have images of Simon, in a tutu, doing the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, in my fevered mind….

I’m not actually very well.

robhughes
    Free Member

love that last pic of cindy no seat…

simonralli2
    Free Member

Nige

What the heck do you carry in your bag then? All I have is an inner tube and some tyre remover thingies!

If I want tio bail out I’ll bail out – I’m not racing and Kirroughtree will still be there tomorrow – I’m a very chilled rider 🙂

forge197
    Free Member

we did use Gaffer tape and cable ties on Phil’s 🙂

I didn’t work very well 🙁

simonralli2
    Free Member

Oh now you tell me you had some!! 🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

Oh and cynic-al- I know for a fact there are many many women riders out there a million times faster and huckier and jumpier than me. I really have no issues with that at all – maybe you have issues you need to address there in this little bit of projection? 😀

falkirk-mark

Reckon after riding 50 miles with a broken seatpost you might be a girl at the end of it (depending on how many interfaces you have with the post)

shinsplints

I hucked two massive drop-offs on the Nut Cracker

😆

simonralli2
    Free Member

falkirk-mark – to be honest I think I may have missed a trick because if I had carried on t may have helped me with my Michael Jackson tribute I have planned down the karaoke tonight

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

here’s a tip: dont sit down when ur doing dropping…not just because ull brake the seat…but its alot nicer standing up?

djglover
    Free Member

cindy no seat needs a bra

forge197
    Free Member

Simon – only remembered when I’d been waiting over twenty minutes for Phil to bowl up after a fellow rider whom was out let me know he was enroute but had an issue gave me time to dream a solution 🙂

sharki
    Free Member

Wasn’t my fault.

I took at least 8 ticks home with me after todays ride…..thats more then i ever took home from school.

And after ripping the presta bit of the valve from my only tube(which i normally have spares on a ride) last night, after the sunset, 16 miles from home…a can safely assume my hex is not fully removed from down south.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Went back today to Kirrie with my new seat post but it angles the seat too much! (i.e. the seat is no longer horizontal). Made it up to McMoab but my lower back was getting into a fair bit of pain so bailed out back along the roads 🙁

Tried to salvage the day by a quick visit to Torhouse stone circle, which was just the other side of Wigtown.

The stupid thing is that I found the other half of my seat clamp today, but left the old post at the bike shop last night thinking I wouldn’t need it. So I’ll have to pop in tomorrow and hope that they haven’t thrown it away yet!

Sharki – can you please un-hex Kirroughtree and hopefully if I can sort out my seat post it will be third time lucky next week!

sharki
    Free Member

I think i’ve sussed what’s causing all the bad riding across the country, my last nekid dance was during a time of high air pressure, also around the same time the phantom cloth snatcher was out walking on the hills and appears to have ran off with my kit…

So i had to ride the 22miles home in the nude, with my riding style(lack of) and Hex making wand waving around across the top tube, i believe some static electricity may of been created and got dispersed upwards into the air.

Recently the country has experienced some thunderstorms, which i think may of cast the hex over many parts of the country.

A would apologise but i like it someone else suffers for their sport

Happy trails

Sharki xx

MrAgreeable

I did this before. The bolt is alu and is designed to break before you bend the seatpost. I didn’t realise this and replaced it with a stronger steel bolt, then wondered why my seatpost had become really hard to raise and lower. 😳

Eventually I solved the problem by getting a seatpost with a two-bolt clamp design… a fancy one. It’s a slippery slope… 🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable

Cheers – I don’t want to spend the earth but I take it there are seatposts I could say buy on line that can be adjusted to make my saddle horizontal? I am riding a Kona Caldera (I bought it in Feb 05 but think it is the 04 model) and the post was a Kona Thumb? It’s a Kona seatpost I think.

maxray
    Free Member

I did the same thing about 5k into Penmachno mamaged the rest of the loop without it but my legs were wounded by the end :o)

Prophet2
    Free Member

Back in May, me and two mates went for a weekend of biking, had it planned since Jan. Unfortunately 30mins into our first bike at KT Dr Bike’s new front tyre wiped out from underneath him, resulting in a super deep cut elbow. Three trips to A&E in 24hrs to keep getting it re-bandaged! Missed the whole weekend of top biking at KT & AE and super hot weather.

Perhaps KT is cursed for some??

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well thanks for sharing as that makes me feel better as I did have an off today too which smarted but luckily purely superficial damage only. I decided to MTFU on the White Witch section, and tried to take an uphill rocky section at speed. I lost balance and the right foot went down to balance myself. Only thing was, it went down onto thin air and I plunged into the ditch a metre or so below 🙂

I blame Forge myself as yesterday on a section that I stalled on he just said his speed took him over the rocks and he barely had to pedal…..

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Disaster at Kirroughtree – Nuts cracked on Nut Cracker section’ is closed to new replies.