Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Disassembling a Shimano LH/Front Shifter?
  • frank4short
    Free Member

Left hand/front derailleur shifter, XT Sl M770 for reference, was getting ridiculously stiff. So I’ve tried to free it up, previously with lube which did little. Then I figured it’s probably gunked up so I try it with some degreaser. Which has duly done it’s job but also done something else in the process as the ratchet’s no longer locking/biting in the internal mechanism. I’ve tried to disassemble to see if I can fix it but can only get it about half way there. In the process I’ve looked for the traditional exploded diagram on Shimano tech docs. To help see how it’s all held together but that’s not proving to be particularly useful either as it only shows the external fittings not a full exploded view.

So with all of the above in mind can anyone please help me out with any of the following answers –

1. A full exploded diagram of the internals, which will show me how to take it fully appart.
    2. A youtube link with a video showing how to do it.
    3. The trick to getting it fully appart.

I’ve tried googling for the above but clearly my googlejitsu is poor as all I’m getting are links to the second rate tech docs like this!

frank4short
    Free Member

Bumpety Bump for the day shift

xanboy
    Free Member

There are no exploded diagrams of the internals as they are machine assembled and not designed to be taken apart

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you’ve degreased it then you need to give it a good dousing in lube and let that soak in. Try a bit of engine oil and try and operate the shift levers to work it in and out of the mechanism.
    If you can get it working again, leave it to drain and then apply some grease to keep it lubricated.

FWIW they are not really able to be taken apart beyond removing some of the casing.
    I’ve actually had an 8 spd one (M737??)in bits and managed to repair it by cannibalising another broken one for the bit.

kayak23

Pretty much every single shifter I’ve tried to service has basically never been the same again. Either that or has produced its own exploded diagram..all over the garage floor!
    Don’t go there. Get another would be my advice.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Yes, lots of inbuilt pingfuckits in there!

frank4short
    Free Member

Further to the above managed to semi disassemble it with a great deal of finesse and some luck too. Turned out it was one of the springs on the ratchet pawls had come unstuck. So once it was returned to it’s rightful position the shifter now works perfectly again and is reassembled and back in place.

sbob
    Free Member

frank4short – Member

Further to the above managed to semi disassemble it with a great deal of finesse and some luck too. Turned out it was one of the springs on the ratchet pawls had come unstuck. So once it was returned to it’s rightful position the shifter now works perfectly again and is reassembled and back in place.

No retreat!
    No surrender! 😆

Well done for getting it working again. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Disassembling a Shimano LH/Front Shifter?’ is closed to new replies.