Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Disappointments in food – share your tales of woe
  • MussEd
    Free Member

I’m a long term lover of chocolate: milk,dark or white even. I have almost addict status when it comes to hazelnuts. Imagine then, my disgust when I tried dark whole hazelnut chocolate.

Bowfing. Minging. Changing. Absolutely gopping. Honestly can’t bring myself to eat anymore of the vile poison. Not even dipping it into molten hot coffee is redeeming it.

I can’t believe I’ve gotten to my 5th decade without trying this concoction but I seriously doubt it’ll ever pass my lips again.

Anyone else tried something with anticipation only to be left bereft at how horrible it is?

jam-bo

Any cornflakes other than Kellogg’s.

Cougar

I was looking forward to some lively celery soup for lunch, but it just tasted like veggie stock with a few lumps in the bottom.

MussEd
    Free Member

mmm can’t beat lively celery soup – except someone round here keeps throwing it all away before it gets eaten…

MussEd
    Free Member

And Jam bo no-one ever looked forward to non-Kellogs cornflakes.

cookeaa

Pretentious hole, Serving not particularly stand out “Italian food”…

slowoldman

Are you sure it was celery soup and not just “soaking water”?

Anyway, on the subject of chocolate. Belgian chocolate. What’s that all about? It’s not luxury, it’s sweet and sickly.

McHamish
    Free Member

The other day, I ordered a Mexican burger from Wetherspoons…I got 5 onion rings instead of 6.

binners

Greggs have stopped doing steak and cheese rolls. Apparently they were ‘seasonal’ just for the run up to christmas. Going back to normal sausage rolls seems like such a comedown.

But the counselling is coming along well. I’m definitely making progress. With any luck, and with Gods help, I’ll be off the medication before too long

MussEd
    Free Member

#prayforbinners

IHN

“savoury cheese” sandwich fillings, you know, the one with grated cheese, onion and mayo all mixed together.

Cheese and onion sandwich with a bit of mayo? Lovely.

“Savoury Cheese” – awful, makes me feel sick. What’s that all about.

#prayforbinners

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Developing OAS and not being able to eat raw apples and fresh hazelnuts. Bloody loved hazelnuts too.

#prayforbinners – Won’t someone think of binners!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Any breakfast cereal.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Meatballs- good.
    Sandwiches- good.

Subway meatball sub? Grim.

Also, Maynard wine gums compared to supermarket own brand ones.

And liquorice sports mix.

Yak

Onion bhaji scotch egg.

So wrong on many levels and then tasted even worse. Some kind of experiment (or joke) by the local scotch egg place as I was asked for feedback when I went back.

lemonysam
    Free Member

http://www.hackescher-hof.de/

Last time I ever listen to a restaurant recommendation in a guidebook.

edward2000
    Free Member

Manchester House, in er, Manchester.

This restaurant went attempted to get a Michelin star. I ordered a Steak, medium rare. It came overcooked, cold and tasteless. Even the mash it came with was cold.

Im a grateful person and i have seen poverty in my lifetime but when im paying this sort of hard earned, I expect it to be significantly better than what i am capable of myself, not worse.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Subway meatball sub? Grim.

saxabar
    Free Member

Hotel muesli. Only Lidl’s blue will do.

Harry_the_Spider

Roasted chestnuts.

The second worst thing you can put in your mouth.

slowoldman

#prayforbinners is on Twitter. Let’s get it trending.

mikey74
    Free Member

Baxters Cream of Chicken soup.

dknwhy

My colleague has not one, but two freshly made chicken and brie wholemeal bagels.

I have just taken a squashed ham and cucumber roll out of my bag.

Not only am I disappointed with myself, I am struggling to hide my food envy.

vondally
    Free Member

olives

Esme
    Free Member

I was disappointed, on my return from Hathersage the other day, to discover I’d just missed out on this Salted Caramel Cake (as recommended by JonEdwards):

slowoldman

Well I haven’t brought any sandwiches in today so it’s a trip over the road. To Greggs or Waitrose though?

kayak23

I ordered a battered Halloumi burger from a cafe in Cornwall.
    It arrived and I proceeded to eat my chips and salad, get them out of the way before the main event, and then I came to taste the delicious halloumi.
    There was no halloumi!!! 😯

They reckon it may have slipped out of the batter in the fryer, so basically I had a batter burger…
    I took it back naturally.

Another great disappointment was this…

Can’t say I could tell the difference except in price. 🙄

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

Harry Ramsdens. Probably the worst fish and chips I’ve ever had in my life, not to mention the ‘service’. How can they claim they’re the best, says who exactly???

slowoldman

It was a claim they could make once upon a time – in Guiseley.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Only Lidl’s blue will do

I’m a green man.

lunge

Love’s restaurant in Birmingham. Not bad, but disappointing. Michelin starred prices for good but in no way excellent food and service. A shame as I always try to support local restaurants but I shall not be going back to this one.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Disappointed by the wifes wobbly bits, bought about by her eating too much cake.

binners

vondally – Member

olives

I hear your pain brother. Periodically I pretend I’m middle class and try olives, yet again. Every time my face immediately wrinkles up in disgust. They are absolutely rank! I’m starting to suspect that they’re actually snobby little things, they sense my northern working-classness and react against it by oozing out a putrid taste. Like a bloody sea cucumber being attacked by a conga eel. Bastards!

If only I had a steak and cheese roll to take away the foul taste? 😥

z1ppy

Shop bought cake, it’s rubbish, so I just make my own now. BUT i needs/wants the recipe to the Salted Caramel Cake above, wow that look lovely.

slowoldman

Olives are wonderful. Especially stuffed with garlic or chilli.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Olives are wonderful. Especially stuffed with garlic or chilli.

+1, love the things.

Rustlers microwave burgers.

Pot Noodle. I am surprised it is even classed as a food.

tomd
    Free Member

Jaffa Cakes. Always feel I should like them, everyone else seems to. I buy them from time to time and feel disappointed.

slowoldman

Anyway I’m informed (by Greggs) steak and cheese rolls are still available. If they’re not in your local tweet @GreggstheBakers #prayforbinners

binners

Nice one slowoldman.

Or should I say HALLELUJAH BROTHER!!! The power of prayer eh? 😀

Mackem

The Cellarium restaurant in Westminster Abbey. Booked because the views on the balcony are supposed to be excellent,
    Got there and the balcony was closed for no apparent reason. I didnt make any fuss, just accepted it and ordered food. Then the food was flung at me by someone too cool to be working there. It looked and tasted like it was scraped out the bottom of a tin. Shite.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Disappointments in food – share your tales of woe’ is closed to new replies.