Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Disappearing Post Office branches and CollectPlus stores
  • cinnamon_girl

OK I understand that there was arguably too many, certainly in my neck of the woods. Just been working out who to use and discovered that loads have closed down.

Anyone else finding that they’re having to travel further?

cchris2lou

ours , in small village is now linked to the shop , so all staff are trained to do po and shop . it is great as it is open at the same time .

i can take parcels on a sunday evening when very quiet .

cinnamon_girl

How far would you need to travel for CollectPlus though?

Sorry for moaning, just surprised that my part of the overcrowded South has lost so many. Also it’s a pita for collecting parcels.

cchris2lou

there is a UPS dropping point 100yds from my house in an Off license , my hermes not far away and the PO/shop does Parcel Force drop off and collection point .

so pretty good really , in the south east , north kent .

Simon

I think PO opening hours don’t do them any favours. I know if I’m posting a parcel it’s easier for me to use collect plus or MyHermes and drop off at my local Spar before or after work. If I use Royal Mail I have to pop out of work and drive to the PO.

footflaps

Given most couriers collect / deliver to/from your door; what are people actually visiting PO’s for?

I really don’t get why we still have them…

cinnamon_girl

Simon – yes exactly, CollectPlus stores have longer opening hours so very convenient for people.

footflaps – I will be visiting the Post Office to send a very small package. If I used CollectPlus it would be considerably dearer. It starts getting confusing when you want to send a package that needs to be tracked as well as insured.

Just to enlighten you OAPs still go the PO to collect their pension. 😉

somafunk

Nearest collect plus is 10 miles from my house so i always use the local post office.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Our town post office was dreadful .. staffed with people with customer service skills from the 1970s. Clearly they had targets for selling special delivery and nothing else. They were slow incompetent and condescending. Now it has moved into a shop and it is much better..They got rid of the crap ones and are still slow but at least you dont feel like getting therapy after a visit.

I actively travel further afield and avoid giving them my custom. Lots of corner shops here so plenty of hermes, ups, collectplus lockers etc within 2 miles in any direction.

convert

How far would you need to travel for CollectPlus though?

I don’t live too far from you and the number of collect plus shops around here is increasing not decreasing. We only used to have one in a corner shop that otherwise you would never dare to step into (I’m sure it must be a front for an ‘alternative’ business) but now we have two more in the town that are better in every way – apart from access to drugs obvs.

cheers_drive

Whilst I believe some small village POs are nice (but very few left) town centre ones are awful, it’s like going back to the 70’s even in the new ones. Nearly always a massive queue, not because of the amount of customers just because their systems are so slow.
    Happy for them to go out of business, the local Collect +, DPD, and My Hermes drop of points are much more convenient to use.

chestrockwell

We had a great local one that was always busy and always had parking nearby. Shut now due to cuts and replaced by a post box + town centre PO that you can’t get near during opening hours.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Disappearing Post Office branches and CollectPlus stores’ is closed to new replies.