Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Disadvantage to a wireless mouse
  • molgrips
    Free Member

If you knock it with your hand, since it’s not tethered to the computer it flies off the table and onto the floor.

wwaswas

it does make it easy to put the ‘wrong’ mouse on someones desk whilst taking control of their screen with the correct one, though…

Working at home I have to do this to myself and it’s not the same…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What if your computer is already on the floor?

They loose signal becasue it’s too far away, tha’s what, so you get adept at keyboard shorcuts and LH mouse use, that’s what!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Secure it to your computer with a piece of string. Sorted.

stumpy01

Where i used to work, we had a real ‘clean freak’ who wanted everyone’s desks to be cable free.
    We all got wireless keyboards and mice, which was great until they all started interfering with each other…..

They also had a habit of not warning about the battery level until they were about to keel over, so you’d forget to put it on charge and then at a moment when you were rushing to finish a report or get some figures together the mouse would turn red and 2 mins later stop working.

wwaswas

Secure it to your computer with a piece of string.

or maybe a piece of grey/black cable terminating in a USB plug so you can attach it to the base unit? To secure the cable to the mouse put a small hole in the front and run the cable through it before attaching the wires to the pcb inside.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Tell you what, you’re onto a winner there. Get yourself on Dragon’s Den. 🙂

wwaswas

You may be right m_f, I surprise myself sometimes.

binners

The fad for wireless meeces was started by Duracell. FACT!

cranberry
    Free Member

They really are a solution looking for a problem.

Cougar

Wireless mice are great, so long as you get an actual wireless one (as opposed to Bluetooth). It’s a moving device, not having a cable catching on things is wholly sensible.

Wireless keyboards, OTOH, they are a solution looking for a problem. Unless you’re working semi-remotely (eg, giving a presentation) they’re pointless. A keyboard sits on your desk, what difference does the lack of a wire make?

nicko74

binners – Member

The fad for wireless meeces

Ah, schoolboy error, that. Meece is actually the plural of moose; mouses is generally the plural of computer mouse.
    HTH 🙂

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

your both wrong – mice

thepurist

your both wrong – mice

Glass house, stones 4XJ.

Sad geek fact – the unit of movement of a computer mouse is called the Mickey.

McHamish
    Free Member

One significant disadvantage of a wireless mouse is that it can’t be used as a makeshift cosh in the event of a zombie apocolypse.

Granted, a mouse isn’t likely to kill your average zombie but it could slow them down or distract them.

molgrips
    Free Member

The mouse in question is a bluetooth one and is a bit pants in general. Chews through batteries really quite quickly, won’t work much at all on rechargeables, and has the annoying habit of going all stuttery periodically. It does work from 100m away tho 🙄

I also have a bluetooth keyboard, which is even worse on batteries.

I got wireless because it’s a folding table attached to the wall, and the monitor’s on the wall. So I can put the keyb and mouse on the shelf, fold the table down and the computer’s gone. Well.. in the corner at least 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

When your 6 year old god daughter has finished playing on Cbeebies she can take the mouse home with her. It wasn’t the first place I looks for it and ended up buying another one. This also went missing and it was only when ranting about missing mice that she smiled and said that she had two at home and I could borrow one. If she wasn’t so lovely I would have slapped her.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nice one WCA 🙂

CountZero

WorldClassAccident, that is really funny. Little minx. My first gen. BT Apple rodent has worked perfectly for the last seven years. As I use a laptop on my lap, sat on a piece of Foamex board, the rodent goes on a small sheet of Perspex with some grey card on top next to me. When I finally replace it, a BT keyboard will be the only possible option, as I’ll be using a Mac Mini with my 40″ Bravia as the monitor. A long piece of wire across the floor is not a practical option.
    (Still chuckling about WorldClassAccident’s missing mice).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Granted, a mouse isn’t likely to kill your average zombie but it could slow them down or distract them.

really made me smile 🙂

Ambrose

LoL @ WCA. Tee hee 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Disadvantage to a wireless mouse’ is closed to new replies.