Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Dirty Dan or Mud X
  • roughneck
    Free Member

been off the bike for about 18 months and I need to take the small block 8 off the back.

shredder
    Free Member

Mud X rear
    D Dan front

Northwind

What for?

roughneck
    Free Member

need a new winter tyre for the back

Northwind

Yah but for what?

REason I ask is, Mud X etc are great XC muds. Conti Baron etc are great all-use muds. I’d not put a Mud X on the back of my enduro bike any more than I’d put a Baron on the back of my XC bike.

roughneck
    Free Member

just riding round the yorkshire moors and Dalby

andyl
    Free Member

how about a Maxxis Beaver?

only 2″ wide but very grippy and great rolling.

roughneck
    Free Member

used mud x for winter for the last 4/5 years, just wondered if there was anything better out there!

Pook

mud x sidewalls are like papier mache, I like the tyre but always expect it to get shredded when the trail turns rocky

njee20
    Free Member

I disagree! Dans are like papier mâché in comparison!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

minion, works in 90% of everything.

Edit
    If it’s too muddy for minions go somewhere else and stop trashing the ground 🙂

sam_underhill

For wet weather riding rather than permanent gloopy mud, maxxis beaver ftw. Seems to behave more like a normal tyre when riding on stuff that isn’t soggy wet mud. Having said that it isn’t quite as good in the mud as a regular mud tyre. Seems a great compromise to me unless you are riding around in a permanent bog.

DanW
    Free Member

Njee is right. Mud-X are very robust in comparison to a Dirty Dan.

I use both and use the Dan as a “nice” or “race” tyre although it has managed 5 months of regular use throughout this winter (this time means little to other conditions/ riders I know). The thread on the rear sidewall is now looking iffy so I have bought another. The blocks did break away a bit on the first few rides on the rear too although they degraded little since then. I am now going to put the old front on the rear and hopefully the blocks won’t break away so much now they are a bit more broken in. The front looks almost new despite the rear being knackered. The rolling resistance also feels low (lower than Medusa/ Trailraker/ etc) despite the mud knobbles. It is a great tyre is you are prepared to accept a slightly reduce lifespan compared to heavier tyres.

The Mud-x is better a better all round tyre and more than robust enough for my South Wales riding (which is plenty rocky!). I would be happy to leave this on all year but I wouldn’t say the same for the Dan. If you are happy with the Mud-X then I don’t think you can beat it unless you are looking for lower weight.

Just my thoughts!

P.S. If you are coping with Minions/ Barons/ etc in the winter then either ride a road bike or man up and ride some proper mud 😀

roughneck
    Free Member

gone for the DD’s

njee20
    Free Member

P.S. If you are coping with Minions/ Barons/ etc in the winter then either ride a road bike or man up and ride some proper mud

They could be better riders than you? Perhaps you need to man up 😉

DanW
    Free Member

Ouch, truth hurts! I am preparing the 1 inch slicks for a good off road ride tomorrow to redeem myself 😀

steve_b77
    Free Member

Should’ve got a storm control

rewski
    Free Member

Agree with Steve, spesh 2bliss storm control are the new mud x, almost the same tread really.

Northwind

DanW – Member

P.S. If you are coping with Minions/ Barons/ etc in the winter then either ride a road bike or man up and ride some proper mud

WT actual F? The Baron’s far more capable than a Mud X, unless you’re doing nothing but riding round muddy fields.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I can sell you a Dirty Dan in good nick for a decent price, if that helps solve your dilemma?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Dirty Dan or Mud X’ is closed to new replies.