Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • dirty brake fluid.
  • Kelliesheros
    Free Member

Evening.

Opinions/advice please.

Bled my brakes tonight. Front was fine, fluid pushed out was still clear and golden. Back brake pushed out black fluid, had to bleed it several times to get clean fluid.

Is this a symptom of something else? Its a sealed system, so I am thinking that it is leaking somewhere, contaminating the fluid? Or is this just what happens eventually.

Brakes are avid juicys if this matters.

Cheers

Spin
    Free Member

Or is this just what happens eventually

That. In my experience any way.

tmb467
    Free Member

Had the same thing on a set of hayes 9

Fluid had almost gone gelatinous and was holding air – took me a long time to get em clean and working!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kelliesheros
    Free Member

Thanks.

It has always pushed through clean when I did it previously. Jut concerned that it was a symptom of something worse.

It’s common for car brake and clutch fluid to come out black.
    It’s caused by minute particles of aluminium and rubber as the cylinders and seals wear.
    It’s normally nothing to worry about.
    The system is under pressure in use. If it was leaking, fluid would be getting out, not dirt getting in.

superfli
    Free Member

Mine is dirty as well. Happens after heavy use, and in my case, after trips to the Alps. I might flush them for peace of mind

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

As everyone has already said, it just indicates that the fluid is very old. We recommend people flush the system a couple of times to make sure the new fluid has replaced all of the old.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘dirty brake fluid.’ is closed to new replies.