Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Dirtschool and Home DVDs any good?
  • JonBurns
    Free Member

Hi guys,

I saw the Dirt School DVD advertised here and just wondered what peoples thoughts were about that and the Home Doovdes.

What really appealed is that it was shot at Glentress and Innerleithen which I visited last year and would like a nice reminder of a great weekend, something where I can pick up some tips on technique and also something I can watch and get me motivated to get out and ride.

Ta.

matthew_h
    Free Member

In short, yes and yes. They are both good films. Both very well shot with the riding in Home being a pretty good mix of all styles of mountain biking and the instruction Dirt School being very well presented and useful.

JamieMc
    Free Member

I was given Dirtschool for christmas (is that hint from the gifter about my riding?) It’s a great DVD, well filmed, informative and very relaxing to watch. If you are looking for motivation and a few pointers on the basic skills we often overlook i’d get it. My technique, particularly fast cornering has improved greatly since watching it. Not seen Home, but ive heard good reviews.

stuckinarut
    Free Member

I got Dirtschool for my bday yesterday – already watched it twice. It’s very well done, as well as some good, relaxed techincal instruction, I find just watching it makes me want to get out and ride.

And I thought Home looked so good on the trailer – I’ve gone and placed my order this morning.

theupsetter
    Free Member

Ah then: Loved Home – went to the preview at the Glasgow Film Center,
    Great movie and much more enjoyable than Seasons.

Now then: the dirt school movie is by far the best instructional movie I’ve seen. I watched the whole movie several times [a few parts a lot more] great stuff, highly recommended. Might just sign up for a one on one session – has anyone been to a dirt school coaching session?

MrNutt
    Free Member

Home is good, that reminds me, I lent it to my LBS!

I bought Dirtschool for the missis its good, teaches some foundation skills well

colb
    Free Member

Home is great, probably one of my favourite mtb dvds ever

JonBurns
    Free Member

Well on recomendation I bought both Dvds soon after posting, they came on Wednesday (very quick). Only watched the training dvd so far but was really pleased with it, with lots of little pointers I know will come in uselful.

Scenary is great too and really brought back some great memories of a few months ago. It’s got the rocky corner where I scratched my fork (new bike) and the brilliant view down into innerleithen at the end of the ride.

Thanks guys, will be practicing my manuals this weekend.

swisstony
    Free Member

I really like Dirtschool, as said it’s a very chilled film and easy to follow, i don’t think it’s particulary well filmed though with serveral section s being quite dark. The techniques are pretty basic so i’d say it was more for learner riders though having said that there was plenty of useful tips on the basics

Sanny
    Free Member

Re Home

Were there to be a follow up film to Home, what would folk like to see?

What worked well about Home compared to other mtb films?

Cheers

Sanny

GW
    Free Member

Sanny – riding sections with Ben Cathro and Joe Barnes, certain “lesser known” innerleithen DH tracks. 😉 Aberfeldy – if you can get permission. an old Skool section with Paul French. possibly some BMX with Dave Sowerby
    and if you’re venturing outwith Scotland/Scottish riders this time a section with Adam Brayton.

richc
    Free Member

where abouts did you get them from?

matthew_h
    Free Member

I got my copies as a package from the Dirt School website. £30 delivered for the pair.

richc
    Free Member

cool, I’ve order them as I could do with some light entertainment 🙂

Sanny
    Free Member

GW

Where in Aberfeldy are you thinking? I’ve not really ridden round there other than passing through. Is there an old DH course? Grid refs?

I reckon some big mountain stuff like the Cairngorms has real potential.

Cheers

Sanny

ART

Both great, DirtSchool even better in the flesh 😉

schwimoid
    Free Member

Sanny it Chris from Escape Route here, GW is probably thinking of the Downhill Course used in last years SDA series?! Its an awsome track, think top section of dunkeld downhill course but steeper and more technical!

fivespot
    Free Member

Based on above comments, I have just ordered both, can’t wait.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Sanny – Member
    Re Home

Were there to be a follow up film to Home, what would folk like to see?

What worked well about Home compared to other mtb films?

Cheers

Sanny

the good:

The trials segment was excellent,
    The DH bits were good, very “fresh” & “raw”
    The sweepy singletrack

the not-so-good:

the length of the bike shop trail builder segment, it was good but seemed to go on just a bit too long
    A bit too much of the fish eye
    very dark in some sections (good sections)

I’d like to see:

long unbroken trail runs?
    manufacturer profiles? (UK & european)
    people talking then riding some of their favourite sections?

forge197
    Free Member

Got Dirtschool it’s nicely done and informative actually gives usefully tips.

Also it features rain which is a nice touch, to many are filmed in weather we just done see 😉

GW
    Free Member

Sanny, Chris is right.
    the track was used as a one-off last year and is out of bounds to ride at any time so you’d need to get in touch with the SDA/Forestry for permission to shoot/ride there but if you got it, and a few decent riders you wouldn’t be disappointed. steep, fast, gnarly and loose but flows so much better than any other Scottish track.
    Peter Pollock (Rob’s Dad) is probably the man to talk to regarding organising something there.

allankelly

I got a blag copy of Home off my pal and it’s worn out. No “look at me, look at me, look at ME” riding, just excellent real people. Very local for me too. After the top reviews on this thread I’ve popped over to the Dirt School web (which, BTW, is here) and ordered both. Who says pirating kills sales? It made me buy!

al.

nzl62
    Free Member

Dirt School I think is unique because it features everyday riders progressing through a skill. I think most would get something out of it despite their current skill levels.

Highly recommended.

theupsetter
    Free Member

I sure I saw one of the student riders bombing around the black route at Glentress this afternoon – Looks like he’s getting the hang of things…!

Go on my son.

chimpymcchimp

The advert for Dirt School used Iron and Wine for the music, right? I almost hit ‘add to basket’ just for that!

theupsetter
    Free Member

played Glasgow in December excellent gig.

resetfilms
    Free Member

It’s great to see so many positive thoughts on the Dirtschool DVD, It’s great to know that people have viewed it and got something from it.

We’ve had a lot of emails back from people, and as a whole people comment on different parts of the DVD. Which is great knowing that people can benefit from any section on the disc.

It’s also been great for us to get all this feedback as we can use this for any further filming.

Anyway thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to post.

Cheers
    Mark

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Dirtschool and Home DVDs any good?’ is closed to new replies.