Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Dirt – What's your comfort level?
  • Daffy

Knowing that this is STW and that many if not most of you will have cleaners (or in Flash’s case a Butler and staff) – How often do you clean the house/car?

My wife wants to clean every week, but if it goes beyond this, it seems like it’s too much faff and won’t get done until it reaches my level of about around ~15 days.

My car I clean every 2 weeks inside and out, I’m fairly certain my wife has never cleaned her car inside or out….when I point out the illogical nature of this paradigm which leads to her having to spend 5-7 hours per week inside a small, filthy box, I get waved away as being silly…

So…what’s your comfort level?

Paul-B

I have a toddler roaming free…mess & dirt have to be tolerated.

Used to clean my car every week…now it’s lucky if it gets washed every 6 months. Inside is hoovered when it gets too embarrassing for lift sharing with others.

Ironically my other half works for a cleaning company…no staff discount though 🙁

ourmaninthenorth

House – properly cleaned by cleaners once a week. We tend to hoover daily (cats) and kitchen surfaces wiped down before/after food prep. Bathroom basin wiped out/loo brush put into action as required..!

TBH, we’re untidy at home but aren’t keen on a lack of cleanliness.

Cars – given the time, I’d clean the cars (wash outside, hoover/wipe down inside) once a week. It would be much easier if my wife and daughter didn’t make such a mess of my and my wife’s cars…!

Can you spot a theme here….

Yak

Van is self-cleaning. Sometimes it needs a sweep-out if there are too many stones or big piles of mud in it.

House needs a bit more attention. Probably a hoover max once a week, but often every 2 weeks. Other bits like kitchen and bathroom are more frequent as needed. We are trying to sell it though, so viewings are causing some unscheduled cleaning.

jam-bo

I’ve never cleaned my car.

Daffy

Just to clarify – I meant general cleaning, floors, dusting, bathrooms etc – Not, dishes, surfaces etc which are a daily thing.

Yak

Dusting? I suppose I occasionally raise the hoover above floor level, but mostly I don’t see it (dust) so it doesn’t exist.

My kids dust the telly regularly though as they claim the dust is affecting the viewing.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Some of the blokes I used to work with could handle a lot of grot, literally to farm-yard levels.

It was too much for me though, I am very clean living and Playboy was about as far as I wanted to take it, not very filthy at all I am afraid…

DezB
    Free Member

Car gets cleaned when it goes in for a service/mot/work. Occasionally will wash it myself if I’ve nothing better to do (I have a neighbour who washes his 2 cars every single bloody day, so as a reaction to this I like mine to be a dirty as possible).

House – cleaned when I have a visitor due, or if I look at something and think “Gawd, that’s really dusty/dirty/grubby/pissy/greasy!” Windows need a clean as haven’t been done for a year or so. (Live alone 🙂 )

jambourgie
    Free Member

House: kind of as I go. Don’t really do a ‘big clean’.

Car: Never. What’s the point, it lives on the street? Actually, once before MOT so the guy thinks I look after it. Which I do to be fair, I just don’t clean it cos it’s pointless.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Car gets cleaned at its yearly service.
    House get cleaned when i’m not either A) riding bike, or B) tired after riding bike.

RustySpanner

Pretty obsessive and sometimes not always in a good way.
    😐
    It’s part of the job and often follows me home.

funkmasterp

Vac most days as we have a toddler who leaves a trail of destruction in his wake. Our current house doesn’t seem to get really dusty, so only dust when we start to notice. Bathroom as need. We have solid wood floors through most of the downstairs and sweep as needed.

The car is horrendous due to the aforementioned toddler and I view it as a tool so don’t really bother with cleaning it. Would rather spend my free time doing anything else other than cleaning the car tbh.

House in general looks like a bomb site. We decided that until the little man gets a bit older we will just live with it.

weeksy

I do the wifes car, i can’t cope with how much she allows it to be a nightmare.

Once every 2 weeks or so for hoovering both cars.

My garage gets hoover 3-4 times a week. It has been known to be 7 days a week.

Coyote
    Free Member

Mrs. C. and myself have very different ideas re household sterilisation. Don’t get me wrong, I dislike a lack of cleanliness as much as the next person so will clean when I think it needs doing. This can be daily, weekly, fortnightly etc. depending on circumstances. Mrs. C. however will actively examine for contamination and either attend to herself or provide instructions for me to deal with. Personally, life’s too short to keep a house sterile and free from any contamination.

Northwind

I clean my car once a year, day before the MOT, as god intended.

Around the house I’m messy but clean, I don’t like dirt, or crumbs, or whatever like that but there’s stuff everywhere.

lunge

Most of the house is just the wrong side of messy/dirty, I should do it more but I’m busy so don’t. Kitchen is spotless though.
    Car is once every 3 months at very best, normally by the fellas of Eastern European origin, £15 for a mini valet will do me nicely.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

House – hoover once every week or two depending on how messy it looks, polish / wipe down surfaces when they look dusty / as and when

Car – when the car to mud ratio tips towards mud I will hoover it out. I don’t care much about the outside as it’s a car that spends most of it’s life driving along muddy / boggy terrain

richmtb

House gets a good going over once a week – bathrooms cleaned and all rooms hoovered. Kitchen is generally more often, probably every other day.

Car, probably averages once a month wash and aquawax and hoover inside

Although this is a bone of contention between myself and the other half. The house apparently is something we both dirty so have joint responsibility to keep clean. Cars however although used by both of us only get dirty when I drive them so are only my responsibility. Weird that.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Housing Cleaning isn’t really my dept, but it’s a constant thing with two messy kids – vacumn cleaning / moping is a weekly thing.

As for the car, that’s seasonal, it’s pretty much at peak filth at the moment – I cleaned out the bulky stuff like empty packets and stuff the kids generate every week, but the carpets and seats are filty, the dash is so thick in dust you can draw in it. The boot liner had to be hosed out Saturday the weather was so bad at Afan. The outside is pretty good at the moment, but it seems pointless – my sometimes black car was grey/brown for most of Nov-Jan, I jetwashed it on Friday on the way to work, and then again lunch time when it dried because I just hadn’t got through it all and it was pretty clean, for about 24 hours.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Full time maid / nanny. When we go on holiday she does a day or two deep cleaning. She spends the morning cleaning etc when the boys are at school.

Car gets detailed every 2-3 weeks.

Wookster

House, Hoover top to bottom all rooms, mop floors, dust, clean bathrooms weekly! Kitchen gets done daily, clean anti-bac surfaces.

Van…..eh……if it’s not raining it gets swept through….washed outside and in……so far that not happened since December…. 😳

beej

Dusting – every couple of weeks
    Bathrooms – weekly ish
    Hoover – I send out Jesse the Roomba every week or so
    Car – when I take my Mum to lunch and part at the car valet place because the Pizza Express car park is full. So, monthly?

General tidying – every day or so.

mattsccm
    Free Member

How would I know? I have a wife to think of those sort of things.
    Car gets cleaned by rain usually. I will do it if it really needs it. Last time was for my wedding 7 years ago. Just to keep HER happy., it didn’t need it , it was only 6 years old.

whitestone
    Free Member

Car gets cleaned by the garage when it gets serviced. By the time it’s got back to the house it’s dirty again.

House – when we’ve enough top soil to spread on the garden 😆

pictonroad

When people visit. We tend to invite people once every 6 weeks so as to stay on top of it.

The family car gets a perfunctory clean when it’s serviced every 2 years. My truck seems to be sort of self cleaning after 20 years.

I’d love a cleaner, a 2yr old and a 5yr old make a bloody awful mess.

joolsburger
    Free Member

House – Daily vacumn wood floors downstairs and steam mopping kitchen/diner/conservatory tiles daily. I have three dogs so keeping on top of it is necessary and takes 10 minutes. Bathroom daily, rest of house weekly.

Cars monthly vacumn, wax twice a year & jet wash monthly.

I’m a bit manic with the cleaning TBH but tunes on, 20 mins and its done, no biggie.

rone

Clean the kitchen more or less after every meal. Quick Dyson and microfibre on the tiles and surface. I like the kitchen to look mint before and after every meal.

Living room every few days at it’s not used much. Bedrooms every few days. Bed linen every week and ironed very week. Bathroom deep Cleaned every week.

I like cleaning, listening to the radio etc. Takes time but most folk would be watching telly or doing nothing in that time so may as well keep it nice. It gets daunting every now and again but the result it worth it.

Cars every couple of weeks. Bikes every dirty ride.

Lots of vac’s and microfibres make it manageable.

Girlfriend does all the cooking and I take care of the cleaning.

I find my life is way better organised this way and use time very efficiently. We pack a lot in.

benp1

House – we have 2 youngs and 2 dogs. Black dogs and white floor in the back of the house, hoovering happens at least once per day in the back! We have a cleaner and my wife does a look, I’m useless it has to be said

Car – never. Although this one is now 6 months old to use so maybe deserves a once over from the hand car wash folks at some point. I hoover the insides once every few weeks and might gives the seats a wipe, mainly as the kids are so mucky! Doesn’t get used much though!

Motorbike – very rarely!

Garage – never! It’s an outdoors indoors kind of space, you have to wear shoes to go in there, it forms our side entrance to the back garden too

Bicycles – rarely too

Life is too short to be cleaning stuff, having a nice clean car/bike etc doesn’t make me happier than seeing it well used and loved!

km79
    Free Member

Flat gets a once over most weeks, it only takes 20mins.

Car gets cleaned by the rain, inside gets a dusting and hover twice a year during it’s service at the garage.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Get a dog. Dirt is the norm.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Cleaning, hang on i’ll consult the wife.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Loos & kitchen – weekly
    Rest of house – when it gets noticeable
    Car – when serviced by garage
    I shower daily and brush my teeth at least twice a day.

timber

House gets vacuumed when lots of bits start sticking to bare feet. I don’t dust often as I end up sneezing for ages.

Next doors cattle lorry is cleaner than my car inside and out. Good animal welfare standards there.

I can’t comment on my OH as I quite like staying in the house.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Dirt – What's your comfort level?’ is closed to new replies.