Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dirt jump bike – what gearing?
  • wonnyj
    Free Member

Still building up a dirt jump bike
    – what gear should I use, was thinking something like a 36 x 19/20. Would that be alright for dirt jumps and a little bit of street?

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

something bigger/harder than 1/1.

like 32/14, or 36/16 or 17

Vortexracing

My maxmax has a 34/16 on it

GW
    Free Member

depends.. it’s not like you actually pedal other than the run in to the first jump. so it’s really just down to if you prefer to spin fast or not

davey_clayton
    Free Member

I’d say it depends on what your trails are like. If you’ve got super smooth trails with perfect transitions from one jump to the next then it doesn’t really matter.

If you need to put a couple of pedal strokes in between jumps, like at my local jumps, then if you’re geared too low you won’t be able to build up more speed.

If it’s just for jumping I’d say go with a higher gear and push your bike back up the hill.

Duane…
    Free Member

What size wheels?

On my 24″ jump bike, I have a 32/14, and its perfect IMO.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Nice replies cheers,
    I’m on 26″ wheels and will mostly be riding the smooth jumps at clyne in swansea. Just want to make sure I can pedal back up a bit and can also ride the seafront cycle path to get there as well, so will probably go for something like a 36/16 (depending on what old chain ring i can lay my mits on).

samuri
    Free Member

I ran 34:16 on my gimp, pretty much perfect for me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Dirt jump bike – what gearing?’ is closed to new replies.