Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dirt Jump Advice
  • johnw1984
    Free Member

So now I’m finally happy with my trail bike, I would love a second “thing” to mess about on.

My missus recently acquired a late 90’s/early 2000’s Orange P7. It’s a silver one and in great condition. She wants to use it as a pump track/Dirt jump bike to practice and have fun on.

She’s also using it as a project to get used to doing her own bike maintenance as she really wants to learn 🙂

I want to do something similar, so I’ve been having a look about for suitable frames and ideas. One I’ve considered is a Dartmoor Hornet. Any other suggestions?

I’m guessing I’ll have to get a smaller frame for this type of bike?

I did consider a BMX, but I think I’d be happier with a DJ.

wilko1999
    Free Member

If I had the cash I’d be building up a single speed Dartmoor Two6 Player right now for dirt jumps, pump tracks etc. Borrowed one last year at Redhill Extreme and it was amazing. I’ve got a BMX but the Two6 just flew, so much more stable in the air, and everywhere. Much more versatile than a BMX, it ripped down the 4x track too.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Wilko1999, I’ve literally just been looking at them!

£180 for the 2016 frames too. I figure that, if I buy the frame, It’ll get my arse in gear to build it up.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    5lab

A hornet isn’t really a dj frame, dj bikes are generally low, steep and short, a (2017) hornet is low, slack and long..

Don’t be tempted to put massive forks on it, 100mm max, loads of spring/damping so they barely move appears to be the trend. Narrow bars, too

johnw1984
    Free Member

Cheers 5lab, when I was looking at Hornets, I stumbled across their DJ frame 🙂

This is what I need to look into with the sizing everything down. I run 780mm bars on my Stumpy, so I guess I’d be looking around 690-700mm risers for a DJ bike?

Rorschach
    Free Member

There’s not much between the hornet and player tbh.I’ve had both (and a Phantom) and I’m currently waiting for my ’17 Player 26 now.A degree HA,10mm reach.Biggest difference you feel is the shorter back end.Starting out the bit of extra stability of the Hornet will be a plus.
    Having gears can be a bonus too especially if you ride different stuff (pump tracks vs proper full size bmx tracks).
    I run 760’s on it.Same size as all my mtb’s (as do most of the slopestyle kids).

kraken2345
    Free Member

I was in the same situation a few months ago but rather than building something up due to a very limited budget I just kept an eye out on ebay/pinkbike for a dj bike and a great deal came up on a barely used ns suburban that would’ve originally cost about a grand new all in. Got it for 400 and just put a rear brake on, so much fun to ride!

Stevet1
    Free Member

This is what I need to look into with the sizing everything down. I run 780mm bars on my Stumpy, so I guess I’d be looking around 690-700mm risers for a DJ bike?

I run 720 on a DJ type bike, and 740mm on my MTB’s. Wide bars feel good for cruising large jumps (more stable), narrower bars are easier to pull up on, and easier for tricks like X-ups. You can make anything work though but in general I’d go an inch or two narrower than what you normally ride.

wilko1999
    Free Member

johnw1984 when you build up your Two6 Player, and then quickly get bored and never ride it, I want first refusal please 😉 (can you make sure you get the long version)

mindmap3
    Free Member

I built up a little Cove Sanchez mostly using bits out of my spares box and reckon it’s pretty good.

I had the frame shotblasted and clearcoated. It feels tiny though after riding my Switchback and Demo 8. I’m running wide bars on it though to match those on the other bikes.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ll keep that in mind Wilko1999 🙂

So I’ll just experiment with the bar width I guess. Loving the look of that Canyon too. I’ll have to price it up and see what funds allow.

oldeh
    Free Member

I bought a canyon stitched (360) a few months ago for the same reason as you. its really nice. its on the long side for a dj but it meant it didn’t take getting used to and is very stable. has meant ive been on the trail bike a lot less. need to make an effort this weekend not to just grab the dj.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dirt Jump Advice’ is closed to new replies.