Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Direct Mount Cranksets – choices
  • bungalistic
    Free Member

Quite the look of the direct mount look on cranksets so fancy buying a set, even though I don’t really need any new cranks.

What have people got and which ones do people recommend. The GX look ok and price isn’t bad but no idea about bottom brackets for them. Any other ideas & opinions.

Ta

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All SRAM come with the GXP option which Hope do a conversion for. Best solution for me.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I just got a set of X9 cranks second hand pretty cheap. They had a few scratches and dings on them, and I’ve added to that over the couple or so years but they’ve weathered the abuse well and still going strong. Got some Hopes in my parts bin awaiting a new frame and bike build.

I can’t get too excited or precious about cranks as they get bashed around.

bungalistic
    Free Member

mikewsmith do you use the hope conversion to use a hope BB because GXP BB’s are awful?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I just like hope. The bb is smooth after 5 years use.

whitestone
    Free Member

I couldn’t get the Hope conversion to work with a Shimano HT2 BB, ended up with the GXP BB.

Raceface do a few direct mount cranks, I’ve the Aeffect on my fat bike as it lets me use anything down to a 26T oval chainring which if not impossible would be difficult to do with a spider.

dovebiker

I have 2 direct-mount chainsets, both RaceFace – Turbine and Aeffect. Aeffect is 24mm spindle, so probably have the best choise of BBs – either HT2 cheapness / durability or Hope if going fancy. Weakness of Cinch is RF BSA30 BB – now a lot better that I’ve switched to Wheels Mfg – bigger bearings and better seals.

mmannerr

Some models are step backwards IMO, I have Aeffect SLs and would like change the chainring but it needs old style crank extractor and can’t find mine 🙂
    Shimano 2 bolt system seems like much better solution.

bungalistic
    Free Member

What system do sram use to fit cranks, is it reasonably easy to set up? I’ve only used shimano up till now as fitting them has always been straight forward.

thedude
    Free Member

Shimano style cranks with pinch bolts onto spindle and direct mount would be great. How easy is it to remove these other cranks that ask for 40nm etc.?

joemmo
    Free Member

the 4 bolt spider on my GX cranks is actually ‘direct mounted’ so could be removed and replaced with a DM ring if needed, not sure if other SRAM cranks are like this but it seems likely. I’m not sure DM is that much more convenient to swap rings with though

Fitting a SRAM crank is simple, just need a fat allen key to remove and refit (i think its 8mm) as they have a self extracting bolt built into the left crank arm.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I have Middleburn RS8 X Type ones.
    So far so good. Easy to set up/adjust and swapping rings needs a common Shimano XTR BB tool.

Seem light and strong, and also look nice…

medlow
    Free Member

For my CX I run a SRAM Force 1 with a dodgy Russian (Nutrino or something) direct mount NW GXP chainring.
    Looks ace and apparently is lighter than stock.
    3 bolts, easy.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Might try the Sram GX cranks then, the new 12 speed ones can be had on crc for less than £100 currently

medlow
    Free Member

Thats mine. Fancy!

submarined
    Free Member

Whichever ones aren’t E*Thirteen and their shitfest of fragile proprietary fittings.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Direct Mount Cranksets – choices’ is closed to new replies.