Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Dire Straits: Alchemy
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Anyone watching on Sky Arts?

Free Member

Have seen it before, but thanks for the heads up. Now watching again!

DezB
    Free Member

No, I’m only 50.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks for that invaluable contribution dez. Haven’t you got another thread to manifest in?

mikey74
    Free Member

Greatest version of Sultans of Swing ever!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Meatloaf on BBC4.

😉

DezB
    Free Member

😆

NZCol

Stunning, not a fan really but Romeo and Juliet is one of my all time fave songs and this sultans version is epic.

mikey74
    Free Member

The drummer is amazing,

Free Member

I’m 36, but a childhood of camping holidays in France and northern Spain with a father who was a great fan has left me be the rest of our family with an enormous fondness for them. Knopfler is completely effortless and stunningly good in this.

Freester

My best mate’s father was into this in my formative years and it left a big impression on me.

Thanks for the heads up it’s being shown again at 3AM so it’s on the Sky+ now.

mikey74
    Free Member

Yeah, top form (the whole band as well).

Tunnel of Love is a great choon as well.

Free Member

Superb, one of my favourites. The drummer looks knackered, but really happy!

burgatedicky

Gutted I haven’t got the Sky.
    Was raised on Dire Straits, and fortunately/unfortunately (delete as applicable) most of my iTunes top 20 is their material!

Will turn on the stereo methinks…

mikey74
    Free Member

The drummer is awesome on the whole thing. he seriously puts everything into it.

mikey74
    Free Member

I think the whole thing is on You Tube burg

mikey74
    Free Member

Telegraph Road!!!! One of my favourites.

Free Member

It’s a bloody good job my next door neighbour is pretty much deaf!

kelvin

that live version rules…

mikey74
    Free Member

Good work!

scotroutes

I remember seeing them live around that time and being seriously unimpressed. The music was great (maybe too perfect?) but they couldn’t seem to generate any sort of atmosphere that made you want to be there.

robdob
    Free Member

For years I have kept my expensive Sony VCR as I spent ages trying to find Alchemy Live on tape and finally getting it in ebay.
    I’ve been bought it on Blu-Ray since.

I literally wore out my dads copy of the double tape he had, I am pretty sure if I could keep one album as my desert island disc it would be that one. I know every word and note!

I kinda like it I suppose. 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

I had it on double tape, the one with the cardboard sliding sleeve. I played it to death. I also had the VHS that wore out.

Free Member

+1 I realised that not only did I know every word, but also every note of the guitar parts too!

mikey74
    Free Member

I played along on my acoustic for a while, until social media discussions took over 😳

leffeboy

I think the whole thing is on You Tube burg

that’s funny as i watched it on YouTube for some reason this week and wondered if it counted as secret pleasure as i quite enjoyed it

robdob
    Free Member

Loads of Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler stuff on over this weekend and next week. Sweeeeeeeeet.

martinhutch

I could probably replay the whole album from memory note perfect in my head from beginning to end.

Yet I can’t remember the names of half my former work colleagues.

bones
    Free Member

Lovely stuff. Got a particular fondness for Tunnel of Love, cos I live in Cullercoats, and before that Whitley Bay 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

39 here and dad was a massive fan, we saw them live in Gateshead in mid 80’s, guess around the release of Brothers in arms, still a huge fan to this day, probably mainly due to the reminisivalue!

Cougar

Ah nuts, wish I’d seen this yesterday. Alchemy popped up on Spotify’s shuffle the other day and I ended up listening to it end-to-end. Still a classic.

I live in Cullercoats,

I remember spending time with a mate trying to work out all the lyrics and that one defeated us as we’d never heard of the place; “coloured coats in Whitley Bay? What’s he on about?” It was years later when I actually went to Whitley Bay and saw it on the map, I got all excited that I’d finally worked it out, tried to explain to my OH who just looked at me like I was a mentalist.

robdob
    Free Member

It’s being repeated a few times on Sky Arts 1 over the weekend.
    There is the On Every Street concert on too, as well as a few other docs about Mark Knopfler.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads-up. Downloading from on demand.

Andy

Went to see them live at the NEC on the Sultans of Swing tour courtesy of a free ticket from my sister. Was my first “stadium” large venue concert and I fell asleep 🙁 . Would like to listen to the album again though. 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

+1 guilty pleasure here.

IanMunro
    Free Member

30 years ago 😯
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6piZuIPAuw[/video]

mikey74
    Free Member

I was 10. I’m not really sure why people refer to them as a “guilty pleasure”. Since when should you feel guilty about liking a band made of talented musicians playing well written music?

kiwijohn

Hear Hear.

RustySpanner

🙂

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpP0y_9ikC0[/video]

Still amazes me how good they are.
    Brilliant songs, played with love by great musicians.

DezB
    Free Member

talented musicians playing well written music?

Ooh, wow. I’m sold! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Dire Straits: Alchemy’ is closed to new replies.