Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Dipped Pork (Sheffield only, or anyone else heard of it?)
  • dannyh
    Free Member

My wife’s family are from Sheffield and we always have ‘dipped pork’ on Boxing Day. Where we live now, you are just greeted with balnk expressions in any butchers when you ask for it. Luckily I have a mate who owns a pork/ham business, so we can get it to order.

Apparently the idea is to fully immerse a pork joint in brine (nitrate?) for a couple of seconds. The result – when you cook the pork and carve it, the outer 5 – 10mm of each slice is pink. The rest is normal pork colour. The flavour is enhanced because the salty pink layer makes the rest of the joint retain its juices.

It really is fantastic, but from what I can tell, it is a strictly Sheffield/Rotherham thing – anyone know any different?

mightymule
    Free Member

From Sheffield, live in Rotherham, never heard of it!

nealglover
    Free Member

Have had it a few times and you are right. Its bloody lovely !

I’m from York.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

York born, West Yorkshire most of my life and never heard of it it….. That said in Yorkshire one side of the valley to the other can seem like different countries in some places

sparkyrhino

them southerners in Sheffield pronounce pork inbetween pork and park,like a dog with a hairlip,the oddbods. 😀

compositepro
    Free Member

never heard of it

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

Born in Doncaster, live in Sheff – new to me!

jota180
    Free Member

Just google ‘brining pork’

There was – way back – a Sheffield butcher that was famous for it, Shultz or something like that

paddy0091
    Free Member

Sounds too healthy for me

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Dipped Pork (Sheffield only, or anyone else heard of it?)’ is closed to new replies.