Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Dint in a 717 rim can i straiten it out.
  • robhughes
    Free Member

Iv,e got a wee dint on the edge of my 717 rim.
    It,s about an inch long and dinted inwards by about 3mm
    Is there any reason why i can,t rig up a clamp with two thin strips of steel and press it out.
    Cheers all…

rob-jackson
    Free Member

no problem

Militant_biker

717 disc or the one with the braking surface?

I’ve pulled dings out with an adjustable spanner plenty of times in the past. Doesn’t sound too bad – I reckon it’ll be fine.

coatesy
    Free Member

Most use an adjustable spanner, i’ve ground the jaws of one to fit without damaging the rim, but a normal one will do.

robhughes
    Free Member

Cheers all
    Just didn,t want to go for it and do some damage…

legend
    Free Member

mole grips, shifting spanner (has to be imperial though), or just a narrow spanner do the job nicely

Spin
    Free Member

Don’t use mole grips. The teeth can mark the rim. Adjustable spanner done up nice and tight will do the trick.

elaineanne
    Free Member

straiten ??? straighten 😉

ruscle
    Free Member

You need this:

http://www.morningstartools.com/rim-rench.html

Only $20 shipped. Their is a review on bikeradar aswell

legend
    Free Member

Don’t use mole grips. The teeth can mark the rim

depending on the damage done, I often find the teeth marks are no longer an issue 😉

Northwind

That Rim Rench thing looks just the ticket.

I get out the Big Bits Of Wood and Assorted Drifts And Funny Shaped Bits of Metal and most importantly a coarse grade hammer… Place wheel flat on the BBOWs so that the dink is downwards, select an ADOFSBOM which looks the right size and shape to whack the other side of the dink, then apply hammer.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m not too keen when it’s folded but if it’s just rounded over a bit it’s usually fine. If it’s folded it’ll fatigue fail and the tyre will blow off. Had it happen 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I straightened out a slightly buckled 717 rim. Of course it’ll probbly eventually explode, killing me instantly or something, but it’s bin fine for several months now. 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I had a bad ding in a 5.1 rim – probably 3 cm long and 1 cm pushed in – straightened with a adjustable, it didn’t crack and 18 months later is still fine

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Adjustable spanner works good. Its something you will become accustom to if you ride 717-pencil prick rims as my mate calls them

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Dint in a 717 rim can i straiten it out.’ is closed to new replies.