Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Dining: Warwick Uni/Cov/Kenilworth area
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Taking Mrs Stoner to see Tindersticks at Warwick Arts Centre on Saturday evening. Will have some time for dinner beforehand. We’re driving so doesnt have to be right nearby.

Any recommendations?

The Queen & castle in Kenilworth seems to get OK review
    https://goo.gl/maps/sqe1RJErA9u

zilog6128

The Cooler Diner (if it still exists)!!

rOcKeTdOg

shame you’re driving the Wild boar in Warwick does excellent beer and does good but simple pub fayre http://www.thewildboarwarwick.co.uk/

the anchor in Leek Wootton is good too http://www.anchorinnwarwickshire.co.uk/menus

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers RD, good suggestions.

It might be Mrs S’s birthday treat, but I could try and persuade her to drive so I can sample 🙂

bamboo
    Free Member

Second RD suggestion of the wild boar, I used to live a few doors away, it is excellent.

The cape of good hope in Warwick (next to the canal) is also a good down to earth pub with decent ales and food too.

If you want a curry then Warwick spice is excellent, if castle Balti has reopened then it is a great ‘spit and sawdust’ curry house, with massive naan breads 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

The cape of good hope in Warwick

do they still have “two locks” ale there? pedalled wobbled down the towpath (its narrow in places!) a few times from there

oh and Stoner, I’m guessing if its her birthday she won’t be wearing the holdups?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The other direction but

malt shovel barston

Always a good feed but need to book

Stoner
    Free Member

oh and Stoner, I’m guessing if its her birthday she won’t be wearing the holdups?

rOcKeTdOg

😯 had you down as an 8 strap suspender (at least) man

djflexure

The Orange Tree is quite nice for a meal out but may be the wrong side of Warwick for you.

Orange Tree

bamboo
    Free Member

RD – I think they have two locks. Usually have butty Bach, and a few from church end and church farm breweries which are pretty good too.

honeybadgerx

Is rhubarb still on the go in Leamington? Been a few years since I lived that way but remember it being very good.

TedC

Do not eat at the restaurant at Warwick arts centre (La Gusta Oven and Bar), one bad meal is enough to make us not go back, and we go to the Arts Centre quite a bit. The cafe bit opposite the box office does OK cake.

Had a good meal at Warwick Spice the other week, even having the “vaguely Mediterranean” Rogan curry, Aqua in Warwick does some nice Middle eastern stuff (Lebanese).

pk13

Cross at kenilworth is top notch but you will have to book. Bike shop down the road too.

gavjackson1984
    Free Member

2nd the cross at Kenilworth. Brilliant restaurant.

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers Ted, that was backup, but I will make sure it does not come to that.

I will look at the cross too.

Cheers all, much better than tripadvisor you lot 🙂

*puts The Waiting Room on again*

kayak23

honeybadgerx – Member
    Is rhubarb still on the go in Leamington? Been a few years since I lived that way but remember it being very good.

Sadly no. Used to be a brilliant vege place, then went meaty, and now has gone and is called Meathut or something…
    I mean, who calls a place Meat….something.

Saxon Mill in Warwick is nice, by the river and pretty straightforward from the arts centre.

Marge
    Free Member

Saxon Mill in Warwick is nice, by the river and pretty straightforward from the arts centre

I had heard the same – it used to be harvester or similar horror but was taken over independently I think. Lovely building & very easy access from WAC.

Stoner
    Free Member

saxon mill goes on list.
    ta

kayak23

Years since the Saxon Mill was a harvester. It’s really nice now. Try to get a table by the weir (unless the sound makes you need a wazz constantly)

rOcKeTdOg

Or the river is in flood

footflaps

Had dinner in the Rose and Crown in Warwick last weekend and was pretty impressed by the food.

bluebird
    Free Member

Another one for the list – http://www.thestagatoffchurch.com/ or http://www.fleurdelys-lowsonford.com/

Both a bit of a drive, but if one of them is in the right direction then either is worth a visit.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

some memories of my youth coming back here – I had forgotten about the fleur!!

All the Orange Tree/Crabmill chain mention above are good food pubs. But I know the owner (same year at school as my brother) so I am a little biased!!

onlysteel
    Free Member

Funnily enough, we had a very nice meal at the Gusta Oven when we went to the theatre a couple of months ago……

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers all.

Had a very good meal at Saxon Mill.
    Busy, but a nice burble of ambiance. Lovely old building.
    Excellent menu.

And on to an a great night of Tindersticks sights & sounds.
    The only downside being just how much Stuart Staples is starting to look like hora. One artist channelling another I guess.

rOcKeTdOg

Some cheeky riding out the back of the Saxon mill too

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Dining: Warwick Uni/Cov/Kenilworth area’ is closed to new replies.