Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 'Dinged' rim. Fix or live with it?
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’ve just noticed that my rear rim on my DH bike has a ding in it. It’s not huge, doesn’t deform the tyre but is noticeable (about 2 inches in length along the rim). The rest of the wheel seems fine.

I’m fairly sure it’s been there a while (assuming I did it at Fort William in July) and I’ve been riding fine with it since. Is it something that I should repair? Am I going to die if leave it as it is?

wwaswas

if tyre is seated ok and wheel straight then leave it. If you try and straighten it then you run risk of work hardening rim or cracking it.

K

Give it a little tweak out when you next have the tyre off but wouldn’t worry too much about it.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Cheers folks. That’s sort of what I was thinking. I guess re-bending something that has been bent once already will only worsen the problem.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’ll probably be fine to straighten, I used to straighten all the dings out of my Mavic rims with a spanner.

legend
    Free Member

DH bikes are designed to have dinged rims (possibly). But if you want rid of it, just gently pull it into line with a shifting spanner. Just maker sure it’s a metric shifter if the rim’s European or imperial for U.S. stuff.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘'Dinged' rim. Fix or live with it?’ is closed to new replies.