Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 115 total)
  • Ding dong – Stainless 931 Cotic!
  • IHN

productionising

Ahem, ‘producing’. Or, ‘putting them into production’.

Anyway, that is a lovely looking frame. A 26″ one could find it’s way onto my 40th-birthday-pressie-to-myself-bike-for-life list.

Mike_D
    Free Member

I’m as opposed to redundant neologisms as the next man, but “productionise” has its place — it’s the act of modifying the design of a prototype to render it suitable for production, so somewhat distinct from “produce” 🙂

cy

What Mike_D said, and what I meant. The prototype seatposts would need to be altered to make them production ready.

IHN

We’ll have to agree to disagree, it’s still a terrible word 😡

It’s still a lovely frame 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

Would a 29er take a 100 or 120mm fork cy ???

bol

Oooh, only just seen this thread, and just when I’ve legitimised two bikes to replace my Soda on the basis that they didn’t cost as much. I don’t think it would take much to persuade me onto an XL Solaris shaped one – although it’s a pity that the 44mm head tube isn’t an option.

Northwind

<emerges from shadows>

Carbon Soul.

<vanishes without trace>

cy

@the lecht rocks – The Solaris is certified for up to 120mm forks, although I like mine with 100mm fixed travel forks as I’m not a fan of uppey downy forks. Not sure what a 931 version would be. Theoretically the same, but until we’ve had one on the rig I can’t say for sure.

@northwind – Carbon Soul? Really? Genuinely interested in that point of view.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

what about KVA tubing? I think it’s cheaper than Reynolds and is a similar weight to 931

honourablegeorge

If you could reproduce the geometry and ride feel of the Soul in a lightweight carbon form, I’d be one of many who’d be dead interested.

Or if you could do the Simple in that ace green colour that you did the prototype Solaris for Singletrack…. or do it in black…. or any other colour apart from the magnolia ones currently on the site.

ourmaninthenorth

Carbon Soul made with lugs and tubes. Like the MTB equivalent of a Look or Colnago.

Now that would be a thing to behold.

oxym0r0n

Now if only it came with sliding dropouts…

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Now that would be a thing to behold. fantastically expensive

compositepro
    Free Member

Kva was intended to be awesome

Edric64
    Free Member

Maybe in a larger than 19” size ……… you know for us gangly ones ….

Yes we need frames in adult sizes

Northwind

cy – Member

@northwind – Carbon Soul? Really? Genuinely interested in that point of view.

Purely weight driven tbh, nothing very complicated. I’d like something almost as strong and a little lighter than my carbon 456, with a little better geometry, and preserving as much of the ride quality of the Soul as can. Soda almost ticks the boxes but I loved my Soul with a long fork in.

But that’s wish-fulfilment rather than a sensible model choice I expect.

timc
    Free Member

@nothwind, does a aluminium soul not interest you

ill 3rd the call for a larger soul! bloody midgets

cynic-al
    Free Member

“Aluminium Soul” have you no soul?

Heresy!

boltonjon

Yes please – i’m 6ft 4″ and have been through 2 seatposts since i built my Soul in November

A carbon or aluminium Soul would be so wrong

theotherjonv

i’m 6ft 4″ and have been through 2 seatposts since i built my Soul in November

That has nothing to do with the design of the frame and everything to do with your riding ‘style’

ononeorange

cynic-al – Aluminium Soul +1!!

MrSmith
    Free Member

price seems expensive for what is essentially ‘badged’ stainless tubing that’s made in taiwan (not U.K. made tubes). and not far off the price for a U.K. made frame with real Reynolds 953.

saying that i bet nobody can tell the difference between the 2 tubesets when built into frames (assuming similar o/d and wall thickness)

cynic-al
    Free Member

saying that i bet nobody can tell the difference between the 2 tubesets when built into frames (assuming similar o/d and wall thickness)

If the stiffness of the steels used is near-identical (as it is from DN6 to 853), you can bet on it.

timc
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    “Aluminium Soul” have you no soul?

Heresy!

on the contrary, I have a Cotic Soul, just he is asking about other materials, so thought I ask him the question.

was
    Free Member

seriously…. why not just get a bunch of frames chrome plated? People like the shiny shiny.

Why did people stop chroming bike frames – it was good enough for 80’s BMXers

I had a nickel P7 in 1994… hmmm chrome…

SubstanceD
    Free Member

You’ll be wanting an eco friendly bamboo soul next

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I really like it – takes me back to BMX days when I was a kid. They were chromed steel, but same ace look.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Timc…your joke detector needs turned up.

timc
    Free Member

never mind turning up, a full reinstall i think, lost me now 😥

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Cy:

I’m not a fan of uppey downy forks

Why not?
    Steep head angle/short travel for climbing
    Slack head angle/long forks for descending

What could be wrong with that?

andyl
    Free Member

I dunno about a carbon soul…I am thinking of picking up a steel one to try out of curiosity and one of the appeals of the soul is the ‘good old’ steel frameness.

If you do decide on a carbon version please pay lots of attention to not overbuilding the chainstays in vertical deflection. You could probably produce one for the similar price as the steel one and it would be nice to look into one of the newer manufacturing methods, maybe even see if they can be produced in the UK? I’m a supported of lot of the eastern produced composites but I do wonder if we could do it here for a similar cost.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What could be wrong with that?

The seat angle changes too, I had a set of ‘zocchi Z1’s with ETA on my 456, if the saddle was set up correctly for riding allong, then knocking it 6deg further forewards actualy made climbing slower as the position became uncomfortable. And modern forks don’t bob like they used to so travel adjust is largely redundant IMO.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

The seat angle changes too

Saddle angle stays the same relative to the handlbars though.

So, steep climb, shorten the forks, drops the front end down and you’re sitting more level than you would be, and can get your weight forwards easier.
    Steep descent, extend the forks, lifts the front end up (drops the front wheel down), so you’re sitting more level than you would be, can get your weight back easier.

I still don’t see a problem.

ahwiles
    Free Member

timc – Member
    ill 3rd the call for a larger soul! bloody midgets

Edric 64 – Member
    Yes we need frames in adult sizes

cough:

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I still don’t see a problem.

I was refering to seat angle, as in the angle of the seatpost.

Try riding a TT bike with the saddle pushed forewards on its rails whilst sat upright, its really uncomfortable. That’s why prety much all MTB’s have settled on seat angles arround 71deg, thats comfortable, knocking it foreward to 77deg isn’t, it inhibits everything from breathing to leg strength (they’ve not been trianed to work at that angle). Not quite the 80watt spacer mentioned on another thread, but probbaly inthat ball park (or certinaly felt it).

boltonjon

What you trying to say TheotherjonV – my riding style is soo smooth!!!

timc
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    cough:

that’s not an XL soul though is it, it’s a 29er equivalent 🙄

ir_bandito
    Free Member

knocking it foreward to 77deg isn’t

How adjustable are your forks?!

Besides, steeper seat angle pushes you forward, which is better for climbing, and vice versa.

IMO…

cynic-al
    Free Member

timc – my joke was about Souls being a mainstay of the steel is real brigade.

TINAS shortening your fork changes your angle relative to the ground but not your position/distances relative to bars, pedals etc. Def helps on steep climbs IMO, and at most is going to be around 3 degrees? (50mm sagged)

ahwiles
    Free Member

that’s not an XL soul though is it, it’s a 29er equivalent

very true.

Cy could get some 22″ souls made, but no-one would buy them, because they’d be bloody ugly, just like every man-size 26er.

18bikes are getting (have got?) a large* solaris demo bike, pop in, take it out. Don’t forget to try the flapjack from the wooodbine cafe.

your life will be better for it – i promise.

(*an XL is available)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Ding dong – Stainless 931 Cotic!’ is closed to new replies.