Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • Ding dong – Stainless 931 Cotic!
  • letmetalktomark

Surely 30 of us could group together.

For those who didn’t get the email:

[quote]
    Reynolds have been working on a new stainless steel tubeset to sit under their uber-strong and light 953 products. It’s called 931. It’s basically a similar strength to 853, but stainless. It’s a little cheaper than 953 and Reynolds and our factory (who are partnering with Reynolds as builders) were keen to show us what it could do, so I had them build me a Solaris shaped frame.

Pretty, isn’t it?

Because it’s similar strength to 853, it’s not that much lighter than a Solaris as you have to use similar sections, so you basically save the weight of the paint. This has a 32mm seat tube/27.2mm seatpost whereas the Solaris has our new 35mm/31.6 seat tube/seatpost combo, but there’s not a deal different in the weight of those. This also has a regular 1 1/8″ head tube as they don’t have material in 931 big enough to do a 44mm head tube, so that’s a bit lighter. Overall the frame is about 0.5lb lighter than a Solaris, so around 4.4lb in large. The kicker unfortunately is the price. Even though 931 is lower priced that 953, this would still be a £1,200 frame. Given that it’s not loads lighter than the Solaris, it doesn’t have much going for it apart from being massively pretty.

So, no plans to make them (unless at least 30 of you stump up deposits!!), but something very nice to look at. [/quote]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh

*goes for a lie down*

letmetalktomark

Don’t let Boi see this 😆

titusrider
    Free Member

WANT!! 🙂

Hang on had that got clown wheels? please be a 26er

Actually feeling a bit meh now, what i want really is a 953 soul not a 951 Solaris

wwaswas

shiney and stainless;

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Where’s the pic, although I am just imagining it and it a sexy bike also expensive I would imagine.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So it’s as stiff as an 853 frame? i.e. it overcomes the flopyness of the 953 protptype Cy made?

£1,200

I’m out 🙁

honourablegeorge

I really like that.

But for that money, you might as well have Ti, I’d have thought.

neil853
    Free Member

Lovely, and I mean lovely but too expensive (for me anyway)

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Reminds me of a towel rail.

letmetalktomark

honourablegeorge – Member

I really like that.

But for that money, you might as well have Ti, I’d have thought.

Ti bikes are two a penny 😉

GlitterGary
    Free Member

With massive clown wheels?

honourablegeorge

muppetWrangler – Member

If it was heated, it’d be a PERFECT winter bike.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Looks lovely! Why did I just buy an engagement ring?

eyerideit
    Free Member

How about a matching lid?

letmetalktomark

anotherdeadhero – Member

Looks lovely! Why did I just buy an engagement ring?

Time to swap for a cubic zirconia?

bigsi
    Free Member

I think I’ve just done a little sex wee! 😳

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Time to swap for a cubic zirconia?

shewillneverknow 😆

cy

Paul’s got a 953/931 combo Soul prototype. That’d be about £1,400 though, albeit a touch lighter than 931. His small frame is 3.8lbs.

letmetalktomark

931/953 seatpost on the horizon?

cy

I did a couple of prototypes, but they’d be insanely expensive. They’re very nice, and very light, but I don’t think we’ll be productionising them.

Vortexracing

Right I’m in for a 931 Soul version,

just need 29 others

any takers?

of course I will have to pass this request by the financial advisor (Mrs VR) 🙄

Catsoft
    Free Member

Hi Cy,
    if it would be 26, I will put down the money!

Robert

boltonjon

I’d happily stump up for a 26″ wheel version – that is one tidy frame! 😀

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I could be in Vortex too.

Though I’d have to stipulate mine had mudguard bosses on the dropouts and seatstay bridge – for that money I’m gonna have to use it as the commuter too….

Vortexracing

just one point, will it be stronger/weaker or the same as a Soul?

Just wondering what options you have on tube guage etc. Are the options less than 853?

jp-t853

I’d be interested in a 26″ version

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Before I ordered my enigma I looked into a 953 custom build and several frame builders said they wouldn’t touch the stuff as it was way too temperamental to work with. Is this cheaper version more straight forward?

ourmaninthenorth

Pretty and pointless. And not made in a size to fit me.

Why do I want one so much?

cy

Same strength as the Soul. Pretty much the same tubes profiles, it’s just a different material run through the same mandrels at Reynolds.

Genuinely surprised at the interest. I’ll talk to the factory about a small batch of assorted 26 and 29 wheel sizes. They’ll probably not go for it on grounds of too much variation, but I’ll see.

@ Ivandobski – 931 is much less precious than 953.

yossarian
    Free Member

Cy, you barstardo!!!

I’d rather pay £1200 for that than a ti equivalent any day. Brittle vs Ductile. Know where I’d rather be.

letmetalktomark

Maybe in a larger than 19” size ……… you know for us gangly ones ….

pate
    Free Member

Too shiny IMHO + it would have to have headtube to run tapered forks.

scruff
    Free Member

That finish looks wonderful. If I had spare cash Id condsider one just for the shine.

Shiney 931 Rockit next !

eyerideit
    Free Member

pate – Member
    Too shiny IMHO + it would have to have headtube to run tapered forks.

We’re Cotic going to run 44mm headtubes across all their bikes?

cy

The Solaris/Simple and the Rocket all have 44mm head tubes, yes. The Soul and the BFe don’t.

duckman

Any chance of a 29er Soda in the next couple of years? Just while my youngest child is still small enough to sell to evil mine owners

cy

No chance. Ti isn’t something we’re getting into any more. It’s too expensive to get done properly, and because everyone remembers the days of £1k ti frames, no one will pay the money for frames done properly. Took us well over a year to sell less than 30 of the last batch of Lynskey built Sodas at £1,500 and they’d have had to go up to £1,700 to cover price rises if we’d have ordered more.

I’ve been frankly amazed so many people on this thread are up for a £1,200 frame to be honest. We really thought these 931 frames were pretty but pointless 😉

IA

We really thought these 931 frames were pretty but pointless

TBH though, once you get past about £300 on a hardtail frame you’re paying for “other stuff” rather than any functional benefit. Why not prettiness/nicheness/shiny shiny.

Some folk would spend that coin on a handbag/watch/other expensive tat, and you can’t even ride it!

thepodge
    Free Member

How about chroming some existing frame, most of the wow factor but far less cost.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Ding dong – Stainless 931 Cotic!’ is closed to new replies.