Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dimmable LEDs – Do I need an "intelligent" dimmer switch?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Looking at putting a dimmer switch on some LEDs. They are the dimmable type.

From a quick look on QVS they are selling “intelligent” dimmers for £38.

Dimmer at QVS

Seems hell of a lot espically when the standard dimmers are £5.

Anyone had any problems using a normal dimmer with LEDs?

molgrips
    Free Member

No, you need a ‘falling edge’ one afaik. Screwfix, £20. I didn’t try my dimmer with LEDs but I buggered up a fair few dimmable CFLs.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Yes. I’m no expert, but popped some dimmable LEDs in our bathroom light, to work with the old dimmer.

They would randomly flicker, then be fine for a bit, then flicker again. You could adjust the dimmer switch to a non-flickering point, but they would often start flickering soon afterwards. I’ve just given up and fitted a regular On/Off switch.

YMMV

Flaperon

You need a trailing edge dimmer. Varilight do one (Screwfix as mentioned) but the quality of the dimming depends on the LEDs and despite being marketed as dimmable, some of them will still shimmer.

The Varilight dimmer can be set up (though an insanely complicated method of turning it off and on in various directions) to use one of several dimming curves, and the end point can be tweaked.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh I didn’t know that Flaps.. one of mine has started to flicker at low power occasionally.

tinybits
    Free Member

Yep, what Flaperon said.

Although, if I recall rightly getting the right finish (non brushed stainless I think) was only possible from LED hut, so also try there

duffle
    Free Member

I’ve just popped a couple of these in with some new LEDs. Seem OK no issues, simple to setup min brightness etc though I just replace the dimmer switch behind the faceplate…
    Varilight V-Pro LED Dimmer Switch Module

mudshark
    Free Member

My house had a load of dimmer switches which I left out of ignorance when I put in LEDs and CFLs. All worked OK really but I the CFLs didn’t last as long as they should. The LEDs all seemed OK though. I have now replaced with normal switches.

slackalice
    Free Member

AFAIK, you’ll need a switch that allows you to reduce the resistance, which might be the type of dimmer switches mentioned above. I’m no electrician but just coincidentally had the very same conversation with an electrician a couple of hours ago.

Everyday is a school day 😀

pealy
    Free Member

.. I’ve got one of each in the kitchen at the mo, electrician put the ‘proper’ one in and it has 8 5W lamps connected. I put the ‘normal’ one in, has just three of the same lamps connected to each dimmer button. ‘Proper’ one flickers alot and doesn’t go down to much of a low level. The ‘normal one flickers less and dims more.

Anyone looking for a cheap leading edge three gang dimmer, I got he one from Clas Ohlson which is on offer for 6.99 plus postage. Here

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dimmable LEDs – Do I need an "intelligent" dimmer switch?’ is closed to new replies.