Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Diminishing fork compatibility options (help needed)
  • Kunstler

I’m having to replace my dying Sektor R on my 456 and looking for something similar (lightish xc, around 140mm travel) that’s compatible with what I already have. So it needs to have a straight steerer and a 20mm axle.

What I really wanted, as it conveniently fits with budget constraints is an X Fusion Velvet but this only comes with a 15mm axle.

I’d appreciate any suggestions folks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What’s your hub? Most decent ones can be converted.

Trekster

Wee hijack/piggyback……

Mate is having the same dilemma finding a 120/130 fork for his old Heckler Superlight of “95-96 vintage.
    Any suggestions welcome….

Remember the days on here when it was all about when will the Hecklers turn up and what colour is yours 😉
    Oh how things have changed……

Kunstler

It’s a Hope Pro 2 hub. Just having a look around for adapters, wasn’t sure that was a thing. Is it any compromise to the fork to use them (not that I would probably notice).

iffoverload
    Free Member

I have a sektor with qr straight steerer for sale, lowers can usually be swapped over.check my posts for pics and details if interested.

for a hope pro 2 you can get a 9mm thru axle conversion with a superstar 9mm skewer.
    stiff and cheap

warpcow
    Free Member

A Hope Pro 2 can be converted to pretty much anything.

Northwind

Yeah, convert your pro 2s.

What’s actually wrong with the Sektors?

rocketman
    Free Member

looking for something similar (lightish xc, around 140mm travel) that’s compatible with what I already have. So it needs to have a straight steerer and a 20mm axle.

140 mm RS Argyle RCT. Awesome

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above Hope’s are very easily converted, they are well designed for exactly that purpose.

MrNice
    Free Member

Mate is having the same dilemma finding a 120/130 fork for his old Heckler Superlight of “95-96 vintage.
    Any suggestions welcome….

I’ve a very little used pair of 130mm z1 bombers in the garage. interested? Straight steerer, QR.

Northwind

Isn’t the Argyle RCT just a Pike 426? Looking at the specs it doesn’t look like they’ve even upgraded the mission control to the current specs- no dualflow rebound etc. Doesn’t really seem like a good option here.

MrNice
    Free Member

argyle always used to be a heavy fork for jump bikes and big impacts – am I out of date?

Kunstler

The problem with the Sektors is that there is a significant area of wear on one of the stanchions (a bit bigger than a £2 coin). The coating has completely worn away so muck and dust is going to get in. I got the forks from a friend who has just informed me that they’re still under warranty but that wear may not be covered.

Anybody have experiences of this?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

They’ve basically been run with dry seals. This admits mud and grit in increasing quantities until there is enough to wear the stanchion coating. They will say its a sign of insufficient servicing, because it is.

That said, I open all my new forks because I dont trust the factory fit, and I’ve only ever found one to have enough oil in the foams or semi bath.

Now they’re worn, you’ve got nothing to lose by servicing them and running them. Possibly change the seals too, and the chances are you’ll get a decent load more use from them.

Kunstler

They were serviced just before I got them and then 8 months later. they’ve had a clean out and seals replaced three months after that. Yeah, they still function okay but there was so much crap in them after last winter and general advice was, they’re borked. Might as well run them into the ground – it’s generally what I do with most of my stuff.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Think velvets from winstanleys come in qr format, i have 15mm velvets – great forks but winstanleys not so great!

May be worth asking if they actually have any stock first or try freeborn

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Diminishing fork compatibility options (help needed)’ is closed to new replies.