Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Dilemma…Kinesis FF29 or Sync? or other?
  • mboy
    Free Member

If you can get down to Worcester, you’re more than welcome to take my medium Sync out on a demo.

Be warned though, you’ll buy one!

hummerlicious
    Free Member

OK, so I’ve had both, I bought the FF29 and built it, but it was only ever keeping shed space till the Sync came out. As soon as it was available I got one and sold the FF.

I love titanium bikes and how they ride, I’ve got three!

I was lucky enough to borrow the Sync prototype and use it in a 24 hour race so I had a pretty good idea how it rode. The Sync is a truly awesome bit of kit and will go as fast as you want it too, over pretty much anything if you are that way inclined. I can’t recommend it highly enough.

It does ride differently to the FF, it is slightly slacker and more stable, but more importantly for me with my dodgy back, it’s a whole lot more comfortable.

@myti someone I know is running a pike at 140 on a sync and says it is awesome, I think I will go that way too as soon as I can afford it, currently running a Manitou Tower at 120mm and it is a noodly piece of crap! I really should have kept the X fusion I had before as it was so much better!

DSC01768 by South Downs MTB Skills, on Flickr

Kinesis Maxlight Sync by South Downs MTB Skills, on Flickr

rewski
    Free Member

140 on a Sync? Interesting, might have to give that a try, shorter stem and maybe an angle set headset too.

mattjg
    Free Member

Thread hijack but Mattjg you say you have a mate running a sync 140mm? I’d be very interested to hear how he gets on with that set up as it’s designed to be run 120 max.

I believe it’s warrantied to 140mm but don’t quote me. He had XFusion somethings and switched to 140mm Pikes, very happy with it. I can’t tell you much more as it’s not my bike (and when I did try it, when he first bought the frame, I didn’t really like it, but that’s personal of course).

What I can tell you is I did the same thing on my Canfield Nimble 9, switched from 120mm Rebas to 140mm Pikes. To me it made a big difference to how hard I ride the bike and how much fun it is. I don’t think that’s really just down to the extra 20mm of travel (15mm after sag, and rarely used), it’s more a combo of slacker HA, higher bars, improved damping and a stiffer front so the wheel goes where it’s pointed. That all adds up to a worthwhile upgrade – no good reason not to IMO.

We do, mostly, XC/trail riding around Surrey Hills.

Gotama
    Free Member

What’s the head angle on the Sync? On the website it states it as 70.5 but doesn’t say what a-c that is based on, despite stating a fork rec of 100 – 130mm.

Getting tempted by a trail bike built up nice and light with gears for some variety. FF29 looks good for the money, Pivot Les looks good at the expensive end and the Stanton Sherpa looks like a hoot but unlikely to be particularly light.

myti
    Free Member

Ok great! Anyone want to buy some hardly used SIDs or swap me some 140mm trail forks!?

mboy
    Free Member

140 on a Sync? Interesting, might have to give that a try, shorter stem and maybe an angle set headset too.

Direct fit bearings (no cups) in the headtube, so no chance of fitting an angleset. Not that it really needs one. It’s not designed as an ultra slack hoon bike, it’s the ultimate XC/Trail bike designed around a 120mm fork.

What’s the head angle on the Sync? On the website it states it as 70.5 but doesn’t say what a-c that is based on, despite stating a fork rec of 100 – 130mm.

I think (but may be wrong) it was based on a 100mm fork static, or roughly a 120-130mm fork in the sag. It’s not XC race bike steep anyway, though it’s on the steeper side of general trail bikes (with a 120mm fork at least).

mattjg
    Free Member

@gotama ping me if you want an intro to my friend with the FF29 & Sync.

Gotama
    Free Member

Matt – ta. Will work out what I’m doing and drop you a mail if I head down this route.

rewski
    Free Member

Direct fit bearings (no cups) in the headtube

Oh yeh, forgot about that. TBH can’t see me changing my current 120 set up, feels spot on.

quintet100
    Free Member

Hi
    I have now finished my build of FF29.

FF29 by Quintet100, on Flickr

mattjg
    Free Member

^^ good job

welshfarmer

Nice. We could have a game of Snap!

PS, a fine collection of bike stands on the patio 🙂

quintet100
    Free Member

Thanks.

You can never have enough bike stands.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

but more importantly for me with my dodgy back, it’s a whole lot more comfortable

Rubbish, the Sync has as stiff if not stiffer rear end than the FF29.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Dilemma…Kinesis FF29 or Sync? or other?’ is closed to new replies.