Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Dilemma – shiny parts or shiny bike?
  • tonyd

Hi folks, it’s been a while since I was here (new job, busy busy), doesn’t look like much has changed 🙂

I have a dilemma…. I have a lovely Storck road bike, built it up in around 2007/2008 with lots of carbon and shiny Campag Chorus 10 speed. The drivetrain is worn out however and the tyres are squared off, so I’ll need to buy new rings, cassette, chain, tyres, and might as well do cables and bar tape while I’m at it.

This is going to cost me the best part of £300 which is fine (painful but fine) and I’m wondering if since I don’t race or even ride that much anymore (certainly not 4+ hour road rides anyway) I ought to consider chopping it in. I was looking at the Ridley X-Bow crosser last week, seems like a very nice bike and could be a lot of fun while doubling up as a winter trainer.

Hargroves are selling the X-Bow 10 disk for £900 (RRP £1200) so by my reckoning I could probably break and sell off parts of the Storck (Fulcrum Racing 1s, carbon finishing kit, frame) and along with the £300 I’d have spent buy a new X-Bow.

Will I miss the Storck too much? I haven’t ridden it much at all lately but it is a lovely bike. I live a short ride away from Swinley though so the opportunity to mix up road/trail on a crosser is quite appealing.

Opinions appreciated.

bikeneil
    Free Member

I read as far as ‘road bike’ then hit the back button.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Impossible to answer.

If the cross bike is a lot more sluggish then I’d say no.

£300 is the price of the fun/miles you had.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

took you 8 years to wear out a tyre?

teadrinker
    Free Member

I read as far as ‘road bike’ then hit the back button.

clearly you didn’t 🙄

tonyd

Impossible to answer.

Isn’t it just!

If the cross bike is a lot more sluggish then I’d say no.

That’s a good point, it’s unlikely to feel anything like as quick as the Storck but the versatility might help balance things out given my riding has changed over the last few years. I’ll swing a leg over one.

£300 is the price of the fun/miles you had.

And worth every penny! I just need to work out if I’m likely to have that kind of fun again or should invest that cash differently.

took you 8 years to wear out a tyre?

I’d hope a drivetrain would last a bit longer than a tyre, if yours don’t you should clean your bike more often 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Dilemma – shiny parts or shiny bike?’ is closed to new replies.