Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dilemma: sell my FS for a HT 29er!!!
  • rosscopeco
    Free Member

In the middle of a dilemma and need a shove in the right direction!

2 bike stable:

18″ Orange 5
    Large Cotic Simple

Run both on a Rohloff so simply swap the rear wheel between both as and when required.

In truth the 5 hasn’t been out of the garage for 9 months since getting the Cotic and if I’m being totally honest I never really came close to using it to its fullest potential. 95% of my riding is on local trails. Over the last 5 years I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve been to any of the trail centers. Give me natural stuff everytime. There’s maybe 1 or 2 sections of local trail that warrant or could benefit from a FS but they account for maybe 5% of the overall trails. On the HT these sections are just on the right side of hairy if you scrub some speed. On the 5 I could go faster but I’m liking being on the right side of hairy at the moment!

So here’s the dilemma: I’m really thinking of going down the HT 29er route. It’d mean selling both frames, upgrading 75% of my kit & and going back to a 1 horse stable for the foreseeable future. If and when money allowed I’d maybe consider getting a FS but I guess that depends on how I get on with a HT 29er.

Thinking along the lines of the new Cotic Solaris with some Rebas and Stans rims. If I’m going to do this I want to make it as light as I can without spending crazy money. Need to keep Mrs Rosscopeco on side!

I’ve still to try out a 29er (which may blow everything out of the water anyway) anyone in the Glasgow area with a Solaris?!

Anyone care to push me in the right direction?!

gsp1984
    Free Member

Sounds like it from what you describe…

jambalaya
    Free Member

As @gsp says, seems pretty straightforward. The five is unused, you really only have one bike now, so sel but be patient for a good pricel. Test ride a few 29ers and if you don’t like them upgrade/change the 26 HT.

FWIW I’ve got a 160mm Reign I’ve hardly ridden in 4 months since getting my BFe which pedals better and makes the standard Surrey Hills singletrack I ride more fun and is capable of doing everything I can.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat, much as I love my Nicolai CC I don’t really ride it much anymore.

This year I’ve done 10 times the mileage on my 29’er HT and the vast majority of my riding has been on local trails or trips out & about on natural stuff.

To the point where I’m considering upgrading my 29’er HT frame & drive train to some new blingy 10spd XT gear

ask1974
    Free Member

Surely it’s not what or where, you ride, it’s how you want to ride….

A HT is more efficiant, great for XC, makes you focus more on technical decents and climbs better. A FS allows you to push harder on technical decents and take on jumps/drops with a greater degree of confidence.

If you’re using your HT more often you’ve pretty much answered the question yourself. I live in Surrey and spend the whole time looking for steep, techincal fun and want to ride it as fast as possible… I couldn’t ride the way I want to on a HT so it’s FS all the way for me…

If I was to by a HT it would definitely be a 29r.

khani
    Free Member

I had a five spot and a soul, built a Gary fisher Xcaliber about eight months ago and sold the soul, not ridden the five spot since and just built up an El Mariachi 2..which is ace… 😀
    I keep looking at a Titus rockstar but I’d have to split and sell the spot to do it, but I’m torn by the decision 😥

Stoner
    Free Member

When my last FS cracked 5 or 6 years ago, its replacement FS frame was horrible. Got rid and went 29er HT. Havent looked back since. For a few days of the year when I just about did the FS justice on far flung welsh trails, it was fun to have. But 95% of my riding is local trails. I now ride 98% of my miles rigid SS 29er and love it. I have kept a geared HT 29er for welsh days out, but that’s still only a few days of the year.

weeksy

HOrses for courses.

I have a Bionicon Supershuttle and a Giant XTC 29er. Both are amazing and both are not…. just in the exact opposite way 🙂

I wouldn’t enjoy the GIant at FoD/Afan, in the same way, i don’t enjoy the Bionicon nearly as much on my local XC.

They’re so different it’s like 2 different forms of transport completely.

jet26
    Free Member

Just got rid of a full sus and got a Solaris with the build you describe.

No regrets at all. On most stuff doesn’t seem much (if any) slower down and faster up. Also means mixed road and offroad rides from the door seem a lot more fun.

If you pass through south yorks feel free to have a ride…!

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Thanks all for the push, guess I need to find some ‘brave’ pills 😕

Anyone here built up a Solaris with a Rohloff and can tell me what overall weight I can expect?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I would say between 25 and 200lbs. Might be closer to the 200. 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

top of my head, I think my ‘hoffed scandal comes in around 27/28lbs=ish with rebas.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I’ve still to try out a 29er (which may blow everything out of the water anyway) anyone in the Glasgow area with a Solaris?!

I’m about 25 miles away and have a large Solaris you could have a go of, although its longer forked and heavier built than you want.

Edit: As a previous Rohloff owner, I would say close to 30lbs for a build unless you use silly light bits.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dilemma: sell my FS for a HT 29er!!!’ is closed to new replies.