Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Dilemma – Commencal HT SX / Whyte 905/901 Steel / On-One 456 Evo / Gen Latitude
  • b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

OK, I have 1000 squid to spend on fun / play bike, would prefer steel, slack HA and something I can chuck around without worrying about it.

Final choice is:

Commencal Meta HT SX
    1 x 9
    SRAM X5
    XFusion 140mm Velvet
    Slack HA
    Looks kinda cool (OK it is pink!)

Whyte 905
    Great reviews
    Not Steel, so ride may be harsher
    Nice components, Reba Fork

Whyte 901 Steel
    Decent 631 steel
    Lots of adjustment in the frame
    Good SLX spec
    Fox F120RL Fork

Genesis Latitude 10
    Deore kit
    Recon Gold Fork
    Reynolds 520
    Maybe not as checkable as I want

On-One 456 Evo 2
    Deore Spec
    Sektor RL
    4130 Steel
    Slack HA

stripeminister
    Free Member

456 but I am biased already owning one…

tymbian
    Free Member

Commencal in stealth pink…

endurogangster
    Free Member

I didn’t find the 905 that much fun! And quite harsh compared to the bfe and hand job I have had since. From your list I would probably go with the commencal or the 456 evo

this_wreckage
    Free Member

No brainer for me, on-one all day long.

brant
    Free Member

Parkwood

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

Parkwood

Would love it, I think it looks perfect, but have a window of about 3 weeks or so due to C2W scheme 🙁

Think the 456 Evo is the leader at the mo. Best in terms of spec and price. Love the Commencal, looks a lot of fun, can’t find that many reviews, plus spec will need upgrading sharpish !

brant
    Free Member

45650b?

riddoch

Fatty?
    Where have you found the whyte 901 for under 1k,I’ve only seen it for about 1200.

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

£999 in Winstanleys, only is a large.

alpin
    Free Member

kit on the 456 looks best to me. would always take Shimano over Sram, especially X5, and the forks are from a more proven/reliable firm (GF has Sektor fork, it’s good).

in fact a mate has just stuck a Sektor on his 456 (previoulsly had a Lyrik) and he is happy.

456 is a very capable frame.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I would get the 45650b as it has 44mm headtube that means it can take tapered forks for some reason on the EVO 2 Brant kept the old straight steerer size.

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

I know the Sektor is a decent fork, really wanted to try out the X-Fusion Velvet, after it beat the equiv Sektor / Fox etc last year in the MBUK test.

The Commencal just looks LOTS of fun !!! But agree the components look shoddy and I’ll prob upgrade the brakes ASAP.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I would get the 45650b as it has 44mm headtube that means it can take tapered forks for some reason on the EVO 2 Brant kept the old straight steerer size.

Bugger, isn’t it? I have shedloads of 26 inch wheels/tyres/tubes/tubeless kit and quite fancied getting a 456 frame but need a frame that takes tapered.

Toyed with the idea of running 26 inch wheels on a 45650b but thought better of it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Dilemma – Commencal HT SX / Whyte 905/901 Steel / On-One 456 Evo / Gen Latitude’ is closed to new replies.