• This topic has 42 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Dilemma – balance bike or stabilisers…. need the help of the collective…
  • Kryton57

Right. Kryton jnrs a tad short for his age. We want to get him a balance bike for his 3rd birthday in Jan. However, with all that we’ve tried he’s only just getting to tip-toes when sitting on one.

On a mini bike with stabilsers he’s fine though, just needs a tad more learning to use the pedals properly.

So I’ve heard its best for them to learn on balance bikes first?

Is that right and should we stick with it? Or not, and go for the mini bike with stabilisers?

Appreciated in advance…..

Junkyard
    Free Member

Balance bike and hope he grows
    No skill to pedalling but there is to balancing
    Both mine just got a push and off they went when they got off the balance bike and went on to pedal bikes
    How small mine were small but still found a couple that were fine – what about taking the pedals of a non balance bike?
    Put them on when he has that sussed – did that with the youngest

spikyjames
    Free Member

Yeah, balance bike all the way, my girl had a Ridgeback Scoot from around 2ish, much like Junkyards two, she was straight on a bike with pedals when ready,no stabilisers needed.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wors

either.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Stabilers for my lad and he was around 5 when he learned to ride

Balance bike for my little girl, she was riding at 3 🙂

Have to seen the smaller early rider balance bike (called the lite I think). She only had little legs, but it fitted her okay when she was under 3. Also they were a great company when I had a problem with it.

postierich
    Free Member

Balance!

Thumbs up by Richard Munro, on Flickr
    But she was racin @ an early age on a 3 wheeler!

mountain mayhem 170 by Richard Munro, on Flickr

sugdenr
    Free Member

Both at the same time, when she had done some scooting around on the balance she would jump on pedaller. I made really big and very noisy stabalisers out of old lawnmower wheels and got her to try and pedal so she didnt make any noise – i.e. lean away from whichever one made a noise. Worked really well.

curvature
    Free Member

Balance bike.

My daughter learnt with stabilisers – no stabilisers at 6.

My son had a balance bike – no stabilisers at 3.

sugdenr
    Free Member

You can have this for nowt, or price of postage if you like

balance

Simon

Both my girls learnt to ride on a cheap Raliegh with stabilisers.
    The metal of the stabilisers was thin and bendy, so the wheels bent up from the ground. To keep upright they had to balance, which they did pretty quickly. When we took the stabilisers off at around age 3 1/2, they rode without them at the first attempt.

AD

My son learned on a Ridgeback scoot balance bike and my daughter is learning on the same bike (albeit with some additional pink stickers…) – but from seeing friends kids learning on bikes with stabilisers I honestly don’t think it makes any difference!
    Both my son and his friend the same age started riding ‘normal’ bikes at exactly the same time.
    For what its worth I’d say it is more important that the bike fits properly so in your case go with the stabilisers.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Has he not currently got a trike?

If he has then just leave him with that until he’s big enough for the balance bike.

OR…

Do what we did and get a small bike, but take the pedals off.

Both my kids used small bikes (£1 each from the tip) for about 6 months with no pedals. When we put the pedals on, they both just rode off, turned around and came back without so much as a dab. Amazing to behold. I wouldn’t even think of going down the stabiliser route as the balance option is just so obviously better when you see it in action.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Balance bike and hope he grows

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Professional opinion – definitely balance bike – or as has already been said, take the pedals off an ordinary bike. Make sure you get one with a brake as well – some don’t have one.

TiRed

Stabilizers. Both of mine were riding without them by three. Just remove them when they can ride a scooter, take off one of the pedals and have them scoot along a kerb until they get the hang of it.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Our slightly below average height 18 month old just fits on her strider balance bike, so unless you’re talking incredibly short, I’d guess it’d fit. Not cheap, but seems pretty solid so far (only a week)

alexpalacefan

I teach little ones for work, and the difference in ability and confidence between stabiliser and balance-bike kids is huge.

Balance-bike FTW.

APF

Kryton57

Cheers all – especially sugdenr for your offer.

Mrs Kryton wants to get him a Spec Hotrock, so we’ve found a deal and it looks as though I’ll get pedal removing duties so we can double as balance bike now and proper bike later – great idea that.

Many thanks.

Mike_D
    Free Member

Um. If he’s too short for a balance bike he’s not going to be able to scoot a Hotrock. How short is he?

kcr
    Free Member

Agree with the above comments, an ordinary bike with pedals removed will work if your son is big enough. However, if you are finding it difficult to get a small enough balance bike, a Hotrock will be far too big.

Not all balance bikes are created equal. When I was looking for a balance bike for my daughter, the Islabike Rothan was a couple of inches shorter than the nearest alternative, and the only thing that would fit her. If you search recent discussions about balance bikes, I think someone mentioned an alternative that is as small as the Rothan.

winterfold
    Free Member

My daughter had a balance bike, hated stabilisers stopped riding then one day just got on and road because she felt like it.

I learned – don’t be pushy with your kids.

And then forgot it, hassled her into doing the biggest bombhole on Winterfold ( twice ) and have not been up there with her since – even though she did it no bother 🙁

I am reminded of what I learned – don’t be pushy with your kids.

geologist
    Free Member

I got my lad a balance bike when he was 2 and a half, he is 3 in 3 weeks.

He too is a short arse (shortest in his nursery year group).

When we got it he was on tip toes, he still is ish, but now he can push off on his tiptoes for couple of metres, when we got it, he couldnt even stand over it without it toppling over on top of him, all in 5 months 🙂

GW
    Free Member

er.. why didn’t you get him a smaller one?

geologist
    Free Member

In my experience, balance bikes only come in 1 size, I tried a spec, scott and a couple of unkown brands, in the end, only the Islabikes push along allowed him to get his toes on the ground, and that was with the seat post chopped!

GW
    Free Member

islabikes is not the smallest by quite a bit

geologist
    Free Member

I stand corrected.

Mike_D
    Free Member

Although last time this came up no-one managed to suggest one that had a significantly lower minimum saddle height IIRC. It’s true that they’re not all the same size, though.

Shows the huge variation in sizes at that age, though. My lad’s two and a half and there’s about an inch of height left in his Rothan.

geologist
    Free Member

Very True Mike_D

I went to every bike shop in the west mids that had a push along, it just so happenend that my local shop (Islabikes) was the only brand that he could touch floor on.

He can count to 20 in french though :). I cant even do that.

GW
    Free Member

Have a quick search (it’s not difficult!) and I think you’ll find more than one suggestion (one of which from me) for balance bikes smaller than an islabikes Rothan

my 2 yr old (who actually is French, so bilingual 😉 ) has very short legs for her age and has been scooting around on her balance bike since 18mths old

weeksy

my lad had 3-4 weeks on stabilisers then straight into the frying pad.

This was 3 weeks after his 3rd b’day

Mike_D
    Free Member

Have a quick search (it’s not difficult!) and I think you’ll find more than one suggestion (one of which from me) for balance bikes smaller than an islabikes Rothan

If your suggestion was the Amazon 10in wheeled one, then that claims 29cm lowest. Which is the same as a Rothan.

GW
    Free Member

forget “claims” it’s lower. (others are too)

joemarshall
    Free Member

Strider is 28 cm at lowest. Just fits my at most 50th centile 18 month old (25th at 1 but has grown impressively since!) . I suspect there is a bit of a range in what these measurements by people selling bikes actually mean though, as I’ve never seen a 2.5 yr old anything like as small as Rose, so I’d guess the difference is more than the 1cm number suggests. Lowest point on saddle is slightly lower than top of the wheel, is roughly 28 cm off the floor.

Also, there are videos on YouTube of strider bikes on just the wheel rims with 12 month olds on them! Obviously only good on carpet / grass though and probably only while they are at the walking stage.

Mike_D
    Free Member

forget “claims” it’s lower. (others are too)

They claim the seat doesn’t go as low as it actually does? They’ve missed a trick there.

Go on then, how much lower? I had to actually measure a Rothan (Islabikes gives a recommended minimum rider height but not a saddle height), got a minute to do the same to yours?

doof_doof
    Free Member

postierich – any idea where your daughters pink bike top is from?

GW
    Free Member

don’t have the bike here to measure but I remember her inside leg measurement was 10″ when she got it, and the saddle wasn’t fully slammed.

Mike_D
    Free Member

Hm. Her inside leg was 11″ on the last thread about this 😉 Anyway. I’m sure potential purchasers would welcome the information next time the bike comes to hand. I’d certainly like to know, people are always asking about the Rothan so something a full inch or more lower would be good to know about.

GW
    Free Member

sorry, my mistake on the other thread 😳
    it was actually 10″

AlexSimon

I can’t believe how confident my 5yo is on a bike after starting on a balance bike. They’re the best bike innovation ever.

GW
    Free Member

Stabilisers can be fine too.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAgb3FEjBN8[/video]

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Dilemma – balance bike or stabilisers…. need the help of the collective…’ is closed to new replies.