Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • digital switchover advice please.
  • bobbyspangles

i still have not sorted out our digital box and the switchover is COMING!!!run for your lives….

any tips on which box to go for would be apprecited please, not that interested in all the bells and whistles as our telly is a vintage B&O crt!

thanks

MartynS

I got a Hummax PVR and its brilliant.

I would be inclined to have a good think about getting a bells and whistles one, there will be far more HD stuff coming in the near future and it’ll save you having to swap boxes again soon(ish) If your telly dies tomorrow you’d go and get an HD one wouldn’t you!

still on an old CRT here as well btw…!

project
    Free Member

Avoid the cheap ones from Argos, theyre crap and dont work wih a booster, they know about it and still sell them, only for you to have to take it back nextday, and have anargument with the staff,(due to freeview boxes being non refundable)who usually exchange a dead dog for a new one with no questions asked.

Farticus

Similar issues here … only CRT Mitsubishi here.

Thinking about this Sony, based simply on the fact that 1TB is bigger than 500GB and so must be better.

No idea how I’d get recordings to DVD from it as I’m a numpty on all these sorts of things.

tron
    Free Member

Pretty much all but the most ancient and cheap CRTs will have a SCART, so you’ve got no problem with connecting the thing up. I expect an old B&O will probably have S-video, SCART, Composite and Component sockets on the back, so you’ll be sorted.

I’d get a PVR (ie, a recorder) because they’re not that pricey, and they’re ace – record entire series of programmes, pause and rewind TV etc. You may find that you need a new aerial.

I’ve got a Humax PVR, and it works fine. Everything is as it should be, doesn’t crash all the time, the remote is sensible, menus all make sense and the guide works well. I’ve never felt the need to take things off the recorder and onto a DVD, as there’s tonnes of room and I just delete stuff after I’ve watched it.

I’d avoid the real cheap kit as it can be a pain to use and to crash a lot (never imagined a time when a telly could crash!). Try and have a go on the kit in the shop, as some can be horrible to use.

Gribs

As you’ve not bothered so far then the cheapest one Tesco’s do will be absolutely fine.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘digital switchover advice please.’ is closed to new replies.