Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Digital SLR over a simple compact: sell the idea to me
  • jhw
    Free Member

Bearing in mind that all my favourite photos to date have been impromptu, spur of the moment photos that I was able to take with zero notice because I can carry my little compact everywhere just in my pocket, point and shoot.

I’m not into difficult, arty compositions so much. I mean I am, but the ability to carry a camera everywhere and take pictures with no warning is way more important to me.

e.g. there is no point having a dirty great SLR if that SLR’s sheer weight prevents you from getting to the peaks where the photos are

At same time though I feel I could do better than my current cheapo compact

Any suggestions? Was thinking of getting a £300 Olympus introductory DSLR

glenh
    Free Member

How about a mirrorless intechangable:

Small enough to easily carry. Better image quality than any compact.

molgrips
    Free Member

What do you feel is wrong with the images you currently get?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    5thElefant
    Free Member

Or… have a look at m4/3 – Olympus (e-p1, e-pl1), Panasonic (gf1). Or Sony (Nex-3).

Almost compact sized and almost as good as a dslr (or as good in most circumstances and almost as good in others).

EDIT: too slow 😆

nickjb
    Free Member

Sounds like a compact suits your needs better. Maybe spend £300 on a decent compact with plenty of manual settings if fancy having a play. I went through the same process a while back and settled on a Lumix LX3, I just don’t believe I’d have an SLR with me and ready to shoot nearly often enough to justfy it. YMMV

ahwiles
    Free Member

don’t bother with an SLR if you can’t afford to buy extra lenses.

on of my even more geeky friends has done some testing, comparisons, and stuff, and found that the lenses in high-end compact cameras are suprisingly good.

and the lenses that come with cheap SLR’s are rubbish – you might be getting a good ‘body’ but that’s pointless if the lens attached to it is cack.

i’ve seen the results and have to agree.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s not that simple though.

Even a brilliant lens on a compact will still fail to isolate a subject or produce poor low light pictures compared to a dslr with a crap lens.

AF on compacts is inferior too, so you may not have got the photo to compare to the dslr from the compact anyway.

ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s not that simple though,

it depends on the compact camera…

😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

Not really. It’s down to sensor size and AF approach. You don’t get large sensors or PDAF on compacts.

molgrips
    Free Member

and the lenses that come with cheap SLR’s are rubbish

Not necessarily.

glenh
    Free Member

The small sensors in compacts are physically incapable of producing low depths of field, or low noise in low light.

5thElefant – Phase detection AF is certainly best, but contrast detection AF is getting closer in performance all the time.

AlexSimon

Trying to work out whether an SLR is right for you is definitely going to be tough.
    What you haven’t done is explain why an SLR might be of benefit. If you are just wanting every photo to be that bit ‘better’, you’re barking up the wrong tree imo.
    A Canon s95 or a Panasonic LX5 or a slightly bigger Canon G12 might well give you all that you’ll need.
    Or, conversely you can trade fidelity for something which is the most versatile (an iPhone for e.g.)

If however, you wish to become a photography student; experiment with photography, flash, filters, playing with motion, depth of field, etc, then an SLR is a great way to learn. It’s also far, far more expensive than you probably imagine.

jhw
    Free Member

This is all very useful.

I find my existing camera (cheapest Canon digital) takes alright pictures in the sense that if I take 3 different shots of each item, one normally comes out alright. But it just doesn’t knock my socks off, catch the tone of the light, etc., and don’t get me started on action shots and low light (although low light doesn’t matter so much). If a compact will address all these issues I’d prefer that, but my reference point really against which the compact falls down is an old retro Pentax SLR I used to have – so I think a “proper” lens is required.

AlexSimon

I would try and get hold of one of the ‘prosumer’ compacts to have a play with. They are very good as long as you know what you can never achieve with them. (noise-free ultra-low light, shallow depth of field, etc).
    Some don’t have viewfinders either, so you have to play.

They do definitely manage to capture subtle light more than cheaper compacts though.
    Learning to shoot in RAW and having something like Adobe Lightroom can help a lot in this regard too.

AlexSimon

For e.g. this was taken with the LX3

The highlights on the Chameleon were blown but apart from that it’s done a very good job (I precessed from RAW in Lightroom).

5thElefant
    Free Member

and don’t get me started on action shots and low light

A view finder and a big body really helps for action shots. If that is a priority a dslr is certainly worth considering over compacts or mirrorless interchangeable lens format cameras.

Pentax dslrs might be a good place to start looking.

Aus
    Free Member

I was in your situation – wife got me a 2nd hand Nikon d70 and 50mm lens. Not pocket friendly at all, but surprised me how quickly I chose to take the Nikon over my decent little Canon Ixus, simply as the pics on average were much much better, and it ‘encouraged’ me to take more / try stuff (a decent bag makes life easier).

If you go secondhand, you can always sell with little loss, but def worth a go

TooTall
    Free Member

I was happy with a digi compact. However, the pics my dad took of our daughter with his old 5mp Canon DSLR were so superior I wanted as good a picture for recording her growing up. I settled for the Sony A390 for £300 new. I researched and the lens is well-rated too, all good so went for it. I can say I’m chuffed to monkeys with it and getting some brilliant shots even with it as standard – a great big step up from any compact. Not too big, not too heavy and fun to explore the different settings.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Digital SLR over a simple compact: sell the idea to me’ is closed to new replies.