Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Digital slr
  • alba23
    Free Member

Help please. Digital slr recommendations please. Wife wants one for family photos after the attempted robbery by Venture Photography. What shell lenses flashes. Best value preferred over the highest price .
    Thanks

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Decide how much she wants to spend, then wander around the camera shops and get her hands on everything in her price range. There aren’t really any lemons, so it just comes down to what she likes the feel of. Some may have simpler menus or more buttons or whatever; but I’m not sure that any particular camera will be miles ahead of another at a similar price. Kit lenses – 18mm-55mm/100mm sort of range – are decent enough and versatile enough until she gets into it and wants specific things from her lenses. She also need software with RAW capability and you can expect to pay up to around £250 for something like Abode’s Lightroom.

What was the problem with the Venture folks?

alba23
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice will take a look in the shops soon. She wants to spend about £1k.
    Venture
    10 photos on a 4gb memory stick £615 with 3.5gb free space so resoloution will be low, despite what we were told. One print 6″x6″ £259 on special offer crazy prices up £2995 for multiple pictures in special frames.
    We have an IMAC and abobe suite, bride, in design, photoshop ….as she has her own Interior Design company. the bloke scoffed when we questioned any of the work as it looked like lazy photoshop. We booked after being told there was no hard sell and affordable. There was a promotion outside Sainsburys in Calcot Reading not waitrose in Knightsbrige. Some of the shots were really good but the attitude of the photographer/seller was shocking.
    We have just had underwater swimming shots of our 5month old by Waterbabies these cost £150 for 3 10″x8″ and are stunning. No hard sell and relaxed way to view and purchase, i guess i expected this from Venture.

Cougar

A grand should get you a good starter kit. Your heavy hitters are Canon and Nikon, they’re of comparable quality overall but very different user interfaces and designs. As Fishy says, go to a shop and have a play, personal preference is key here.

Ballpark figures,

Canon 1100D + kit lens, £420
    55-250 zoom with IS, £180
    Fast 50mm prime, £85
    3rd party wide angle lens, £300.

Dunno about Nikon but I imagine they’re largely comparable.

That leaves you a few quid change for a camera bag to put it all in. Probably better off just getting the body + kit until you work out what you actually want to do with it though.

For bodies, it’s worth looking at the second hand market. Lenses hold their value very well and you don’t save much by going second-hand; camera bodies depreciate vertically due to the rate at which new ones are released.

Molgrips will be along shortly to tell you all about Olympus 4/3s.

sweatyyeti
    Free Member

You’d get a lot more for you money if you went second hand. My Canon 40D is still going strong 4 years on and the photos are just as good as the more modern cameras.

It would leave you some spare cash to get a lighting kit if you wanted to do studio style photos at home.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Hope you don’t mind me asking but was it the Prices of Venture, or the attitude that put you off (being within the industry its a constant dilemma of price point for myself and many many others).

Im assuming the 6×6 was framed with mount? So from my perspective I’d be charging around the £200 (inc VAT) mark for a similar product. Given an archival frame will be around £55+vat dependant on glass quality. Giclee / LCD print £8 mounted, around an hours work to prep the image from raw (including file handling and archiving etc), and another 30 minutes to frame and package.

Even if u applied the lowest end of charge levels as the interior design industry which are similar in qualification / application to photographers (BIDA suggest between £35-£200 per hour) there is an extremely fine margin.

Obviously thats not taking into account the marketing cost to get you there, the studio time, initial image prep or associated overheads, equipment write down etc.

Certainly not defending Venture as I know they can be very hit or miss quality wise given they are a Franchise group but I personally think their pricing is more realistic as a sustainable business model than the opposite end of the spectrum of £10 a print on the home inkjet printer.

Obviously if it was the attitude of the staff … all the above is moot and I’d suggest feeding back to the Studio Owner your thoughts.

50 meg per picture is low res?

Conqueror
    Free Member

Your heavy hitters are Canon and Nikon,

There’s more to consider than just these two manufacturers

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/79383/show.html

this is going to be very hard to beat for sheer VFM even going 2nd hand

obviously it helps to go to a shop and try some of these things

—————–

But perhaps question whether a DSLR is even needed … you can achieve excellent results with a “compact system camera” (micro four thirds and sony nex) and will probably take more picture because these setups and significantly lighter/smaller – if you travel a lot this can be a significant factor

I’m going to be buying a Sony A55 – won’t tell you all about it, as there are plenty of reviews, but it may be worth waiting for the highly anticipated A77

alba23
    Free Member

When I pay for a service I expect to get something of a higher standard than what I can produce my self. Don’t have your promoters telling one thing and then offer something else when your in the studio looking at the pictures if you children. Offering finance as well means that people will buy more than they can afford. Fine if you get away, everybody wants easy money but don’t get ahitty when I’m not impressed with what your selling.

How Much space do you loose when you format? The res of the pictures was 1024 x something. Less than the screen on my 13inch laptop. The files were not going to be large. . But he assured me they were. I have dabbled in computer graphics for years. Since my low power low memory Amiga 500. I no howuch memory is used by a jpeg.which is the format we were told was used.

Moaning over
    Thanks for the bits of advice

molgrips
    Free Member

TOP TIP:

In the Olympusmarket eBay store on eBay.de refurbished E-450s with 14-42mm kit lens are going for about 200 euros. By far the best value you’ll find anywhere, and a great little camera.

Also the same site has E-PL1s going for similar prices.

olympus
    Free Member

Don’t get an Olympus 4/3. There’s serious uncertainty about the future of the format. Go with canon or nikon as they have massive market shares, with guaranteed 3rd party equipment.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Sounds about right for a lot of the Studios unfortunately. Worth shopping around other studios still as there are still plenty that do an outstanding job (both independent and franchised).

Regards the res of the images, sounds like they are produced for HD screen resolution. True HD resolves 1080 vertical lines (potentially interlaced or upscaled), by whatever the ratio of the screen (minimum 1920).

Your 13 inch screen probably has the same pixel resolution as the majority of 50 inch LCD TV’s (or any other HD screen) as the pixels are denser on the majority of laptops, hence looking noticeably sharper (think Apple Iphone retina display vs earlier versions).

I assume the are marketing them for digital display as their images are normally heavily copyrighted?

Print resolution would require at least 250 DPI, so at that resolution 4 x ??? inch prints before quality would start to degrade (if at all possible).

Regards equipment, I’d place portability above the majority of features, no point having all the bells and whistles if you never carry it anywhere.

Second to that a good bright lens, as already given a cheap 50mm (or equivalent) prime allows natural light portraiture, good drop off and nice bokeh at a very low price.

Thirdly, if utilising flash then off camera / hot shoe, with some form of diffusion (Gary Fong or similar).

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

(including file handling and archiving etc)

Just what does that mean?

user-removed
    Free Member

I’m guessing it means the fact that photographers have to spend money to archive files (external hard drives / DVDs, and also the time taken to do this.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t get an Olympus 4/3. There’s serious uncertainty about the future of the format

That’s a possibility, but there have been repeated assurances from Olympus that that won’t be the case.

Hard to know what to think all the same. But still – 200 euros is insane. If you aren’t going to go mental buying lenses for the next 5 years then it’d do nicely.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Just what does that mean?

Downloading the file, adding into library, converting from RAW to TIFF, Any adjustment / colour balance / photoshop work, preparing to print size and colour space, printing (either internal or external), then saving to archive (at least 3 separate locations both in house and out sourced).

On average for a sub 16×20 image approx one hours work, obviously longer if the image is larger or requires more editing work.

Havent factored in the cost of the physical archive system as that would come under associated costs.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I’ve just bought the pentax K-R in the jessops link above. So far i’m very pleased and have taken a few exceptional pics with virtually no skill or talent.

donsimon
    Free Member

If the OP wants to do this

So far i’m very pleased and have taken a few exceptional pics with virtually no skill or talent.

and not develop any skill or talent then any old compact, pseudo DSLR or even DSLR kept in auto will do. If the OP wants to take photos properly a DSLR is the only answer.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

If the OP wants to take photos properly a DSLR is the only answer.

I’d best throw out my M8, Mamiya RZ, Sinar P, and GF1 then …

donsimon
    Free Member

Best you do. 😉

fivespot
    Free Member

I am just considering the opposite, that is selling my DSLR gear, Which will be a bit less than £1k.

Gear consists of:
    a Fuji S5 Pro body (same as Nikon D200, but with a Fuji sensor)

Sigma 10-20mm EX F4-5.6 (Nikon fit) lens.

Sigma 18-200mm F3.4-6.3 DC OS (Nikon fit also).

The body has only had 1700 shutter actuations, and these are also the only use these two lenses have had. All are mint and with original boxes.

Pics available if required. Only selling as I don’t use it enough to keep this much gear sitting in my wardrobe.

amaan
    Free Member

This is a bargain for the price, the lens alone goes for £600 to 800 on ebay, and the Body sells for approx £600/700 too

Canon EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera (Inc EF-S 17-55mm IS Lens Kit) £999.97
    Go through quidco and get a £50 discount voucher of hotukdeals and you get another £75/100 off

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.211-1426.aspx

molgrips
    Free Member

Unless you are a) loaded or b) going to get really into it, don’t spend a grand. There’s no need.

Conqueror
    Free Member

Unless you are a) loaded or b) going to get really into it, don’t spend a grand. There’s no need.

this

This is a bargain for the price, the lens alone goes for £600 to 800 on ebay, and the Body sells for approx £600/700 too

Canon EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera (Inc EF-S 17-55mm IS Lens Kit) £999.97
    Go through quidco and get a £50 discount voucher of hotukdeals and you get another £75/100 off

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.211-1426.aspx

Although that’s a good price if you want that.

The significantly less expensive K-r will still hold its ground against that

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_60D-vs-Pentax_K-r

You’ve still got 520 left over after the buying the K-r deal against that 60D deal too which could go on a lens or a holiday or anything! Yes Canon/Nikon have more lenses and probably offer better zoom lenses than Pentax. But the Pentax gear is smaller and arguably their prime lenses are amongst the best – boils down to what you shoot

btw I don’t own a Pentax camera and never have so not biased (sticking with my micro four thirds G1)

If I was spending all of grand on a DSLR it’d have to offer something more/different… weather resistance or insanely good video… which atm would mean a Pentax K-5, Olympus E-5 or Panasonic GH2 or possibly the Sony a55 mentioned earlier

molgrips
    Free Member

Not sure I’d get an E-5 tbh – weather sealing is nice but it’s what, £1500.. and is basically the same as my E-600 which was £330.

It’s amazing to see how much money people drop on these things now btw. Go somewhere touristy, and the number of people lugging enormous DSLRs around and taking no pictures or just a few snaps is remarkable.

Btw picked up a Sony something in a shop on Saturday – might’ve been A55 not sure, it was about 600 euro, and the viewfinder was awful. Everything looked stripey flickery rainbow coloured when it moved. Admittedly it was a shop copy so it might’ve been borked in some way.

stumpy01

It’s amazing to see how much money people drop on these things now btw. Go somewhere touristy, and the number of people lugging enormous DSLRs around and taking no pictures or just a few snaps is remarkable.

molgrips – you should be pleased about this 🙂 The more people buying these things and spending above their needs, the more the high-end stuff will trickle down to the low end stuff.

Also you don’t know what else they use them for. I use my SLR for ‘snaps’ but also for erm, ‘proper’ photography. Maybe they do too.

I think I spend about £1200 on my first DSLR bits and pieces (D80), but the prices have come down now for quality kit.
    I got the D80 & 18-135 kit lens for £699 (I think, might have been £799), 70-300 VR lens was £350 or thereabouts, 2x UV filters + 1x polariser was about £80, Lowe Pro Slingshot bag was £60, mem card was £20-30.

The OP mentioned getting a camera to get some portrait shots, rather than using Venture or a similar place.
    Would these be out & about type pics or ‘studio’ style ones? If the latter, you’re gonna more than likely need at least one flash, if not a couple, plus a backdrop. Might be worth factoring this in.

molgrips
    Free Member

I use my SLR for ‘snaps’ but also for erm, ‘proper’ photography. Maybe they do too

True, but you don’t see many people taking photos at all, or looking around for potential pictures, so it does make you wonder.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

True, but you don’t see many people taking photos at all, or looking around for potential pictures, so it does make you wonder.

What a totally ignorant comment. How long do you follow people for to make sure they’re worthy of owning a DSLR?

molgrips
    Free Member

Re-read my post. I said it makes you wonder. I didn’t say (or mean to imply) that they weren’t ‘worthy’ of anything, since that would be very snobbish and very judgemental, both things I aspire not to be.

Food for thought. It is true though that many people buy some piece of equippment or other because it’s great in some way, and never use it for that for which it was designed and intended. Which is a shame I feel, and can also become a corrosive habit.

stumpy01

It is true though that many people buy some piece of equippment or other because it’s great in some way, and never use it for that for which it was designed and intended. Which is a shame I feel, and can also become a corrosive habit.

Probably true, but kinda irrelevant. Just let them get on with it – don’t worry about it.
    Just feel smug in the knowledge that the people who buy them thinking it will turn them into some kind of photography god are helping you get better kit next time you make a purchase.

I dread to think what people think of me (although in reality, I don’t actually care) mincing around on my Stumpy fsr.
    I was probably pretty unnoticeable on the original silver Elite, but since the frame has been warrantied to the carbon one, I must look like a right old ‘all the gear, no idea’ – considering the cheapest carbon version available in 2010 was £3k.
    Thing is, my LBS did me a great deal on the original bike (considering it had only just come out) and it only cost me £1870 instead of £2200. Then I paid £50 for the carbon upgrade under warranty……but people who see me about on it don’t know that. Some probably wonder what I am doing riding a £3k 140mm bike round Thetford.
    Do I care if others judge me for that. Nope.

Cougar

t is true though that many people buy some piece of equippment or other because it’s great in some way, and never use it for that for which it was designed and intended.

I think you’ve just described a large percentage of smartphone owners.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

molgrips,
    Tell me more about these 4/3s bargains pls.
    I don’t know if I “need” one but how well do you think they would satisfy my requirement which is :
    Capture moving subject in low-ish light (eg jumps in overcast conditions or in the woods)
    Low weight/bulk

Basically, I think its a case of not being able to get enough light into my compact (Cannon Ixus 70) so I’d be interested in how well these might fit the bill.
    Ta

stumpy01

Cougar – Member
    t is true though that many people buy some piece of equippment or other because it’s great in some way, and never use it for that for which it was designed and intended.
    I think you’ve just described a large percentage of smartphone owners.

Performance car owners
    Kenwood Chef owners
    PC/Mac owners
    Global knife owners
    Mountain Bike* owners (* insert most sports here)
    Diving watch/Chronograph owners
    ………. 😆

Cougar

… Microsoft Office users.

Giallograle

Take a look at the micro four-thirds standard. Interchangeable lenses, great image quality and easy to handle. You’ll probably take a lot more pictures.

I got a Panasonic GF1 rather than a DSLR with the 20mm pancake lens – based on a Leica design – and the ultra-wideangle zoom. With the pancake lens it fits in a jacket pocket and I carry it around most of the time. No regrets.

You have full control with this and probably pick one up on eBay as it’s discontinued. The GF2 and GF3 are simplified versions and maybe less appealing if you want control which the DSLR suggests. Shoot raw for higher quality or jpegs for family snapshots.

The Olympus Pen E-P2 looks like a good alternative – check out dpreview.com.

molgrips
    Free Member

mincing around on my Stumpy fsr

If your MTB goes out on the trails regularly, then that is good. I’m not talking about being amazing at whatever it is that you use kit for, just that you DO it. The bikes I am talking about are the ones that gather dust in garages after a few rides.

Re the E-450 – go here and search – there are usually three or four E-450s on the go at any one time:

http://stores.ebay.de/OlympusMarket_Digital-Kameras/_i.html?_fsub=2&_sid=230374705&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

The same sensor as in all their E system and Pen cameras, and the same lens that I have in mine. It was claimed to be (might still be) the smallest and lightest DSLR around. It’s the real deal, no corners cut, although the body does not have image stabilisation (my E600 does but is consequently larger) and the lenses don’t come with it either. Small size appealed to me for portability reasons, but some don’t like it.

Good things about E-system include (but are not limited to )the excellent quality cheap standard lenses, including high levels of zoom for cheap; bad things include less third party support, and fewer second hand kit bargains.

Take a look at the micro four-thirds standard.

It’s a good call – there are some silly cheap E-PL1s on that eBay shop too. Only disadvantage I see is the lack of phase detect autofocus which will probably make focusing slower than a DSLR – but they manufacturers claim not by much.

Cougar

Ah, I think we’ve just encountered the middle of this conversation.

(-:

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I said it makes you wonder.

It makes you wonder, not me. You wonder; you question ‘why?’; you question somebody’s choice. Same thing, different words. I can walk around all day with my D5000 hanging off my shoulder and never even look through it. If molgrips saw me, he’d wonder why I needed such a device. And here’s one for you: I use my eyes to find a photograph, not wander around peering through the viewfinder on my camera. You may not be a snob, but your judgemental side certainly needs some work.

molgrips
    Free Member

You wonder; you question ‘why?’; you question somebody’s choice. Same thing, different words.

Not at all. I wonder about lots of things. I am fully aware though that I do not have all the information (because it’s obvious) so I keep my musings to myself and do not judge.

I use my eyes to find a photograph

As I said – I watch people and see if they appear to be looking for a photograph. For some time too, often, since when you are at a zoo or museum or something you tend to follow the same people around a bit.

but your judgemental side certainly needs some work

As I’ve said many times: I do observe, but I don’t judge. When I brought up the subject it was to raise the phenomenon of people buying expensive kit they don’t need – which DEFINITELY happens. The people a the zoo yesterday were not necessarily in that category. How could I make that judgement without knowing them? That would be ridiculous. If I’d been judging I’d have said something else.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Digital slr’ is closed to new replies.