Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Digital radio with good reception?
  • jools182
    Free Member

Currently got an intempo dab radio but it’s on its last legs

I bought a Roberts to replace it but when I tried it I couldn’t get a single digital station on it unless I stood outside

Anyone know of a dab with good reception?

The intempo one isn’t available any more

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fit a dab aerial, or use your ipad/Phone with the radio app

CountZero

I’m surprised at the Roberts. I’ve got one of those cheap plastic Pure One Mi radios at work, which is a room with mostly steel walls, inside another larger steel walled building, and it gets a good signal most of the time, unless the transmitter is playing up, which it did today for a while.
    Personally, I’d have a look at one of the supermarket ones, like Tescos or Sainsbury’s, pretty cheap, sound ok; I’m getting one soon for work, so the Pure can go into my other workspace without me having to take it back and forth.
    Using your phone is fine. If you have unlimited data, and somewhere with really good signal strength and data.
    You’ll use around 500Mb/week, using it for around 30-35 hours/week. That’s half the standard monthly data allowance, right there.

momo

I’ve got a £25 tesco one in the kitchen, better reception than my Pure chronos in the bedroom (and better sound too now that the Pure has developed a whine).

It’s this one

kjcc25
    Free Member

I have a two Roberts and the reception is excellent on both. One is a small portable with its own aerial and the other is a larger radio which I have in the bedroom and this has a short wire aerial which I have extended. I have noticed that with the car digital radio there are pockets where the reception is very poor. Where I live there is a street I go down and in the same place, a matter of no more than than twenty, thirty metres there is no reception at all.

redstripe
    Free Member

If your radio takes a plug in aerial, I got one of these for poor reception:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SLx-Indoor-DAB-Digital-Radio-Aerial-F-Type-plug-/230728522179?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_PortableAudio_Radios&hash=item35b87dd9c3

works well, no drop outs or dalek voices now

jkomo

Get the Logitech Internet radio, it’s ace.
    http://www.whathifi.com/logitech/squeezebox-radio/review
    It’s called something else now, but the sound is great and you can stream your itune library and play an iPod through it.
    Alternatively you can make a DAB aerial, mine works:
    http://www.audiobritain.co.uk/Aerial.html

ransos
    Free Member

We have two Pure radios – one has excellent reception and the other is pants. Maybe their QC isn’t up to much?

traildog
    Free Member

If you have a smart phone then use that. Connect it to as good an active speaker system as you want. The sound quality will be better than dab.

craigxxl
    Free Member

It could be the area you are in. I have DAB at work. In the previous office I had full reception, new office only 3 miles away from the old one I can not get the majority of stations including the BBC ones which are usually the strongest.
    I’ve brought both my Sony and Roberts from home to try in the office. The Sony was even worse whilst the Roberts was able to pick up a few more stations but not a great improvement.

BTW the Roberts is normally excellent.

kimbers

weve got 2 pure ones, a mini and a posher one, reception never been a problem with either

CountZero

traildog – Member
    If you have a smart phone then use that. Connect it to as good an active speaker system as you want. The sound quality will be better than dab.

See previous comment about data allowances. Unless wifi is available.

jools182
    Free Member
    traildog
    Free Member

See previous comment about data allowances. Unless wifi is available.

Well, since it’s indoors then I would guess wifi is available and if not then might be worth thinking about adding if possible. But if not, my unlimited data is is costing me 3 pound a month and gives me much more options. You obviously still might have reception issues though.

You have to factor in the speaker and amplifier in the cost.

Like I say, sound is much better than any DAB set I have heard.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’ve got internet radio via my TV into the hifi. Sounds better that way.

Solo
    Free Member

Roberts radios are pants, ime. I won’t have another and I’d suggest you consider alternatives.

stumpy01

We got a cheap Roberts digital radio for the kitchen and it works really well. One speaker and it doesn’t go very loud (loud enough, but no good for banging dance toons), but for what it cost and what we use it for it is fine.
    Not tried many others to compare it to, so perhaps an equivalent priced other brand would be better….?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Digital radio with good reception?’ is closed to new replies.