Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Digital Piano – KORG SP-170SBK or Yamaha P35
  • Earl
    Free Member

I know zero about this but I’m looking for something basic for my daughter to learn on with weighted keys.

Both coming out to be around £350 with wooden stand

Either of these 2 or something else?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Just looked on ebay at completed auctions and you could get a P90 for around that, or a little bit more, depending on where you are – as many seem to be collection only.

That has graded and weight keys, whereas I think the cheaper ones are just graded.

I bought one as my wife had been making noises towards wanting to learn the piano, but she hasn’t really used it.

Are you anywhere near Surrey, I could see how she feels about getting rid?

Earl
    Free Member

I’m in the South west – unless you can send?

BlobOnAStick

I have the SP250, which was around 650 iirc.

I had the choice between a Yamaha and a Korg, and went for the Korg – it has many different and useful voices which she may appreciate if she starts playing songs she knows or with others in a band. A chap who plays for a community choir came and played it and said he wished he’d bought one instead of the P95 he had just bought because of the range of instruments it emulates.

Other than that, I don’t think there’s much difference.

Ben

thegreatape
    Free Member

Roland F-20 might be worth a look as well? It can link up to an iPad and stuff, although I’m too old to have bothered trying that. Not sure what it’s selling for now, mine was about £5-600 15 months ago. I preferred the feel over the Yamaha and Korg equivalents, but that’s horses for courses.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

A bit big, heavy and awkward to send – I reckon the P&P could be a fair whack.

Get some open-ear headphones for listening to it – very realistic grand piano sound – my sennheiser PX100s worked well but my Koss didn’t as their bass is bloated, making the piano not sound realistic.

My mate in Cardiff bought himself a prper grand and has put in the converted barn.

Unfortunately there is quite a bit of moisture in the air and the piano wouldn’t like it, so his leccy bill is now higher as he has to run dehumidifiers constantly !!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Digital Piano – KORG SP-170SBK or Yamaha P35’ is closed to new replies.