Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Digital Photo Frames – resolution question
  • robbo1234biking

Does 800 x 600 give a good resolution on a 7 inch frame? Or would you need to go higher? Any reccomendations for a good frame?

stumpy01

I've got a Jessops photo frame that's 8" I think and 800×600 resolution is fine.

I've resized all the images I've put on it too, so you can literally get thousands on a small SD card.

The issue I have with it is the viewing angle. It's not great and so I have had to prop up the stand a bit to get it to look right. If you can view the frame before you buy, I would do that. Mine was a gift so I didn't have that choice.

Check out the features like how it displays photo's too. Mine has slow, med or fast slideshow timing, but even the slowest setting is 20 seconds or so, whereas my parent's digital frame refreshed every 5 mins or so, which would be better IMO.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I have 8" Advent from PC World, was not cheap but the resolution is very good indeed. Model number A8WDPF09 also has remote control, and wifi + mpeg etc

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GrahamS

I find the whole digital frame thing deeply unsatisfying. It's a fine idea but I've yet to see an implementation that comes remotely close to what I actually want, namely:

– look like a 'proper' picture frame (wood and mat inset)

– use properly high-res, colour e-Ink display (i.e. very low power, good viewing angles, and reflective rather than transmissive so not distracting in a dark room)

– use wifi to connect to home network to get photos from existing storage.

– allow remote control over wifi (e.g. via a phone app)

– allow a properly long delay between photo changes (e.g. a day, maybe more)

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

GrahamS,

Pardon?

They are there for display of pic's that would normally be hidden away…
    I doubt that anyone really would be taking in the finer details of photography – how many people on here have expensive DSLR cameras that download images onto a bog standard monitor / laptop screen?

coffeeking
    Free Member

download images onto a bog standard monitor / laptop screen?

There's not much other choice TBH!

GrahamS – there are ones about that do all of that bar the reflective technology, as you're aware I'm sure.

GrahamS

Yeah, sadly the display is the most important bit really!

Unfortunately I've yet to see signs of colour eInk displays making it any further than lab demos and geeky news stories – so such a thing may still be many years off.

The current crop of digital frames are all just little low-res crap quality TFT screens. The backlight means I find them far too distracting to have sitting on a shelf or hung on a wall, not too mention the extra power required.

How many
    people on here have expensive DSLR cameras
    that download images onto a bog standard monitor / laptop screen?

True. I'm using an NEC EA231WMi – it's a pretty decent screen (23" IPS 8-bit sRGB) but it still doesn't show the full colours that the camera captures. I thought about going for an extended gamut monitor – but what's the point when most folk are viewing the final pics on crappy 6-bit TFTs?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Digital Photo Frames – resolution question’ is closed to new replies.