Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Digital EPO
  • Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

About time a performance enhancer for the average “racer” came along

Digital EPO

b45her
    Free Member

thats the strava leader boards rendered absolutely pointless then.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

haha thats brilliant.

jam-bo

can it cut corners too?

GrahamS

Loving their “Skata” page: http://digitalepo.com/skata.php

richpips
    Free Member

There’s an ex pro round here who has been known to drive round with his GPS on then upload it to Strava.

It’s a bit of fun, don’t take it to seriously.

(I did get a KOM today though) 😉

wwaswas

I think it’s a good thing – it should be about competing with yourself more than trying to attain a KOM for the sake of it.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve got into Strava recently, mainly as a tool so I can see that what I think is fast, really isn’t…

Maybe everyone faster than me is editing the files first 🙂

Northwind

Maybe if people cheat digitally they’ll feel less need to wreck trails and ride over babies’ faces.

wwaswas

Maybe everyone faster than me is editing the files first

I’ve been editing mine to show I’m slower so as not to embarass other riders. Honest.

monkeychild
    Free Member

It’s been around for a bit that there site. I really don’t understand why you would use it though??? Saying that I don’t really use Strava as I found that different devices give some right spurious result so it’s a bit pointless.

brakes
    Free Member

look at online computer game leaderboards – they’re full of ridiculously unachievable scores put there by hackers.
    I’ve been suspect of some KOMs round near me for months – this can not be a new thing.
    like wwswasaswasas says, it’s better as a tool for competing against yourself than a roadie programmer.

wwaswas

it’s always been possible to fiddle with the times on a ride file before upload. This tool just makes it accesable to all.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Saying that I don’t really use Strava as I found that different devices give some right spurious result so it’s a bit pointless.

It’s a sport based arround riding for hours to get back to where you started. I don’t thing Strava makes it any more pointless!

LoCo
    Free Member

Suppose it’ll save me fuel for the moped…

woody2000

It’s a sport based arround riding for hours to get back to where you started. I don’t thing Strava makes it any more pointless!

Hole. In. One 🙂

cookeaa

I have 1 KOM, there are only 2 of us on the board though, and I set the segment up,

It’s a 10 mile stretch of my normal commute, I was all pleased that I’d beaten a Stranger with my awsome sporting prowess on my fixie, then I looked properly realized that he was on the return leg of a 100mile loop while I was on a sub 20mile jaunt… Sort of pissed on my own chips there didn’t I…

I should start cheating…

monkeychild
    Free Member

It’s not pointless. It’s point to point! It just so happens in most cases that both points are in the same place 😛
    Chasing KOMs on Straaaaaaaaaavvvvvvaaaa is a bit pointless though 😀 don’t get me wrong I think Strava is a great idea, it’s just a shame idiots spoil it.

martymac

group of us are going out on thu night, the one guy who regularly mentions how quick he is on runkeeper wont be coming.
    i sense a plan hatching . . . . . .

epicyclo

Kitz_Chris – Member
    About time a performance enhancer for the average “racer” came along…

That’s the sales of electric bikes buggered then… 🙂

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

This has always been a problem with strava, Anyone with any knowledge of strava can write themselves a KOM, The rest can just use a car.

If it pisses you off. Stop and think about what your doing.

soobalias
    Free Member

where did you get the sticker

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Its a surly one, Charlie the bike monger will probally have some, or on the ebay

Haze

Don’t really get what people get out of fixing their own times, seems a pointless exercise.

No big deal, the obvious ones will get flagged and those that don’t will give me something to aim at.

It’s satisfying to bag a hard earned KoM, and great fun trying 🙂

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

It’s a site created by people who spend more time at a pc than riding. Hence they are not as fast as they thought they were so then created the programme to rubbish it.

And people that use digiepo are the same.

And people who moan about strava are the same, especially those on forums.

It’s just a bit of fun you know, I really believe people imagine that users are more serious about strava than they really are. It’s just fun.

Superficial
    Free Member

That’s lame.

I love Strava. I don’t claim to be the fittest / most radical rider ever but I love the challenge of racing against other local people. On hotly-contested segments on the road, I’m nowhere near the fast boys, but off road I see a lot of KOMs as potentially attainable targets.

Obviously it is just fun, but that doesn’t make it OK if someone spoils it.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

I think you may have misunderstood what I typed.

I mean strava is fun not the digitalepo that’s just sad losers

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Haze – Member
    It’s satisfying to bag a hard earned KoM, and great fun trying

Like that one you had off me the other day. 😉 I haven’t forgotten about that- I’ll have another go at it soon.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As a tool for motivating, pushing and encouraging people to go faster, longer and better it’s great. Like anything there will always be cheats.
    Ride for fun, see what you got. Use it for training see where you get too.
    One scary insight was a local pro admitting to looking through peoples segment times if they were “faster than he thought they should be” for gps irregularities and flagging them.
    It’s a bit of fun, there are no medals, the only person you are cheating is yourself.

Haze

Like that one you had off me the other day. I haven’t forgotten about that- I’ll have another go at it soon.

Do your best, I may try a little harder next time 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I really don’t understand why you would use it though???

Just to make this absolutely clear, it’s a joke. It does work, but so does using a car or editing the files by hand.

surfer
    Free Member

I have a number of the local running ones and people tend to use their own names (I use mine)
    I can simply scan the results of the local races to tell when people are cheating. I suspect people running back to back sub 5 min miles on Strava shouldnt be running 30 mins for 5 in a race.

oink1
    Free Member

Propper EPO! 8)

Had my last dose Saturday!

njee20
    Free Member

I must say someone uploaded a reasonably dubious looking ride to me the other day, but a) if he wants to cheat then fine, it’s only a bit of fun and b) it’ll spur me on to go and beat him!

He seems to have got very quick in a short space of time though, and has a habit of reclaiming a KOM by a fair margin the day after you take one off him! I’m sure it is genuine, but I did find myself wondering!

pebblebeach
    Free Member

It’s a site created by people who spend more time at a pc than riding. Hence they are not as fast as they thought they were so then created the programme to rubbish it.

I use strave, I rode 240 miles last week, which is an average week.

IanMunro
    Free Member

If I were the person who’d written the digital EPO site, when it rescales the data I’d add a specific rescaling signature to the data periodicity, as it’s not particularly difficult.
    Then after say a year or so I’d produce a strava app that checks for this signature in leader boards.
    Just saying like 😀

ormondroyd
    Free Member

It’s pretty **** to mess up Strava, given 99% of people using Strava are just having fun.

It’s like being the loser bully kid who stomps on other kids’ sandcastles on the beach, because the other kids are actually interacting and having fun together. You know, they know sandcastles are all a bit meaningless and temporary, and if they really want to build something they should become a civil engineer, but it’s a bit of fun together and oh-for-****-sake-that-kid-has-jumped-on-it-again-what-a-tosser

ChrisI

He seems to have got very quick in a short space of time though, and has a habit of reclaiming a KOM by a fair margin the day after you take one off him! I’m sure it is genuine, but I did find myself wondering!

Someone my missus used to work with suddely got very quick at our local trails. Dont think he’s cheating as they are group rides so you’d expect him to be caught out if he was cheating. Maybe he uses real EPO 😆

If I were the person who’d written the digital EPO site, when it rescales the data I’d add a specific rescaling signature to the data periodicity, as it’s not particularly difficult.
    Then after say a year or so I’d produce a strava app that checks for this signature in leader boards.

That would be class. Give it to Strava and they can flag up the cheats. Although it would be easy to overcome by adding your own “fudge factor” into the files by changing a few of the values yourself.

Unless the files are signed with a specific algorithm from Garmin or whoever that Strava can validate against then it will be very difficult for this stuff to ever be easily proved. And I’m not sure Garmin/Sunnto/etc could be bothered with the faff.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

It’s pretty **** to mess up Strava, given 99% of people using Strava are just having fun.

Well if people are just doing it for fun what difference does depo make?

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Well if people are just doing it for fun what difference does depo make?

Messing up other people’s fun is ****. The gentle but fair competition is part of the fun.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Digital EPO’ is closed to new replies.