Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Digital cameras and kids. Advice on what to get?
  • pguy78
    Free Member

Looking to get my eldest (6) a digital camera for her bday. To save he wanting to use ours every time we are out. We have been looking at standard and “tough” cameras specifically the Nikon cool pix l31 but wondering if ther is any tough type cameras which are worth a look at.
    Any advice would be great slightly lost on this one.

stumpy01

I think a lot of it comes down the individual kid and how well they take care of stuff.

One of my nephews has got a basic Canon compact camera that is at least two year old – I think he got it for his 6th or maybe 7th birthday.
    But he is quite good at taking care of things and looking after them.

His brother has just got a compact camera for his birthday and I expect it will survive a couple of months before it is either dropped, filled with mud/sand or dropped in the pond.

You could look at a tough camera, but they can’t really be had for much under £150 – and you could buy a couple of half decent normal compact cameras for that…..

Stoner
    Free Member

I just get el cheapo one from morgancomputers and spend the rest on rechargeable bateries.

They will leave them on, with the screen viewer burning electricity while they run around the place. Then they might lose it…

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/c/426/Digital-Cameras/

tomd
    Free Member

I had an older version of that Nikon. I used it for bike photos for about a year and it was decent. It got wet, muddy, dropped and generally abused but kept on working despite the abuse.

The image quality was OK in good conditions, ultimately I sold it on and got something with a better lens and sensor as I got more into photos.

Go for it, nowt wrong with that for a kid. I sold mine on ebay for £30. This model or very similar versions have been around for a while you should be able to get some bargains second hand.

Stoner
    Free Member

just received in my inbox, morgancomputers are doing a discount on their cheap nikon and it comes with a free SD card now too

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/searchresults/?searchterm=Nikon+L25&redir-to=

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Aldi are doing Vivitar cameras for £18 – I saw the ad yesterday – can’t speak for the quality though, I just noticed the advert.

A friend of mine bought this:

I wasn´t surprised to see that VTECH is continuing their tradition of selling slightly worse versions of normal tech for kids! I mean, they don´t even have the lens and flash the right way around!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Digital cameras and kids. Advice on what to get?’ is closed to new replies.