Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Digi SLRs again – Canon 650D or 60D?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Thinking about getting the 650D as it seems to have some good features but also considering the 60d.

Anyone have any experience of both?

Think the 60d is older, has an older processor, no touch screen and is slightly larger but is seen as an intermediate model with the 650d a beginner model.

I reckon the 60d will be upgraded soon to the new processor and maybe touch screen so would be miffed if I had opted for the 650d. I know impossible to predict but any other reasons to wait or not go for the 650d?

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I have a 60d if you have any specific questions on the model. I have no idea what the 650d is like but have had 450, 500, 550 and still have a 600d.

Serious question; why would you/anybody want a touch screen on a DSLR?

Ian

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I had a serious look before christmas.
    The 650 was touted as being a big breakthrough at the price but didn’t seem to be.

For similar money I was shown the Sony Alpha range – there was a thread about it

Basically an evolution of the Minolta range they picked up a few years back. I was impressed enough to look that way. More FPS for sports stuff and the electronic view finder meant for action stuff it would be better.

Picking up good reviews in the same category as the Cannon 650

d45yth
    Free Member

I’d much rather have the 60D. It has an info screen on top of the camera, I wouldn’t want a DSLR without that. I prefer to see the settings without using the main screen or looking through the viewfinder. The screen that pops out would be better for shooting video and protects the screen when folded away too. It is also more solidly built, more like a plastic 7D, meaning it’s sealed better from the elements.

Serious question; why would you/anybody want a touch screen on a DSLR?

+1 on this! I’m currently using a Nikon D7000 and love all the extra buttons on the outside. This is so I can change settings without going into the menus and using the screen. You’d be constantly having to clean the screen when checking your shots too.

hydrophil
    Free Member

For what its worth, Ive got the 30D (5 years old) and a good friend of mine has the 10D (8 years old) and they both take fantastic pictures. Dont worry about the future proofing of the 60D, it’ll be out of date before you buy it. Worry more about the quality of the lens you buy and you will take great pictures. Go for the 60D if you can afford it.

scraprider
    Free Member

nikon d5100 looks a good cam at the mo , some good features as well , body only as low as £290 from eblag inc cash back ,a tamron 70-300 mm lenes for £90 makes this a strong contender imo.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Do you need video?

If not the 40D really was the sweet spot of noise and amount of mpx you can squish on a crop sensor..

justinbieber

yup – no one needs a touch screen, that’s just a marketing gimmick.

The ergonomics of the camera will be more important than you think – as has already been mentioned, more buttons outside of menus the better. Go for the 60D.

zokes
    Free Member

If not the 40D really was the sweet spot of noise and amount of mpx you can squish on a crop sensor..

That’s a pretty worrying statement, given the reputation of the 40D for poor noise handing at anything approaching high ISOs

tmb467
    Free Member

Ask yourself why you want to shoot in high ISO. Is it sports photography (fast action) or nighttime shots ( low light)

Technology moves on but the essence of every digital camera is that you have a limited number of sensors on a ccd of a fixed size. Fast ISO on a digital camera is to do with the processor, not the number of sensors/size of ccd

Newer cameras have faster processors so if you want better tech go for a new camera. Older cameras (the 60 an 40 D) were designed more robustly (weather proofing / stronger cases / better ergonomics) but the technology is now superceded. If you can stretch to a 7D get that – otherwise you’ll probably not be able to tell the difference between a 60d photo and a 650d photo. The 60d is more robust – 650 is newer.

Get whatever is cheapest and spend the money on lenses instead imho

grum
    Free Member

Not used either camera so take this with a big pinch of salt, but I’ve used a 40D and a 550D. If the differences are still the same, basically the xxD gives you less features for the price, but a more solid, professional feeling camera with better ergonomics.

As you’ve said the 60D is older so more likely to get superseded soon. You can get 7Ds for not too much now from grey import places, which is a proper professional camera. I’m a fan of flip out screens though – good for tripod work low down, and great for video.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have a 600D and am very, very impressed. I agree that the info screen on the top might be useful, but it doesn’t really bother me, mainly because of that flip out screen. As above, great for tripod stuff, odd angles etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

Fast ISO on a digital camera is to do with the processor, not the number of sensors/size of ccd

It is to do with the pixel size and density, a lot. The processor is just trying to iron out the noise that the sensor generates.

grantway
    Free Member

Found these reviews on back to back tests

Canon 60 v 650

Canon 60 v 650

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2EtxQ6Obik[/video]

Personally a bright view finder is a great help

tmb467
    Free Member

Point taken – my explanation wasnt the most accurate

Trying to compare a 40d and 650d in terms of how they handle high ISO isn’t really fair though

The sensitivity of the ccd may have changed slightly over the years (less so than the number of pixels on the ccd) but it’s the ability to handle the overexposure at a pixel level that relies on better software / processors

Anywho – my point is still buy the cheapest camera that takes good shots and spend the difference on better lenses

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Discounting some of the utter codswallop on this thread with regard to pixel density and build quality all the cameras mentioned are more than adequate

40D was ok, I had two, but are very dated now and many suffered from shutter button problems,60D is halfway house between xxxD range and 7D

Has extra features such as top LCD, rear control wheel and more direct control buttons plus pentaprism instead of mirror, but has polycarbonate body not the magnesium one of the 7D

In your position assuming you already have Canon lenses I would probably go for the 60D. If make isn’t important have a look at the Pentax K-30, top camera for the money

butcher

I have no experience of the cameras mentioned, so you can take my comments with a pinch of salt, but in my experience of older models the main differences between the XXXd series and XXd series are robustness, size, and the layout of controls.

It’s a shame that newer XXd models done away with the magnesium bodies, but the layout of controls wins it for me and I’d genuinelly find it difficult to go back to the XXXd series. The control wheel and seperated autofocus were a revelation to me. The top mounted controls and screen too. Much more satisfying to use. That’s a personal thing of course, but the XXd series definitely has the more seasoned photographer in mind in terms of controls. It’s very efficient.

On a technical level, I suspect there’s very little in it. And 6 months down the line there’ll be something newer again.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anywho – my point is still buy the cheapest camera that takes good shots and spend the difference on better lenses

Exactly, it’s what I did.

Although I went for more lenses rather than better lenses, but that’s just what I wanted to do 🙂

Actually I’ll qualify that – identify some practical features you particularly want. By practical I mean not some slight improvement in shadow noise but stuff like flip-out screen (which is massively useful) or I dunno.. high fps or something.

toppers3933
    Free Member

mrs toppers has a 60d and loves it. we compare it with the 650 and the 7d and decided that we couldnt justify the cost difference to the 7d (which was a great camera btw) but she preferred the layout of controls and menus on the 60d. it feels a bit more substantial too which always seems strangely reassuring.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Discounting some of the utter codswallop on this thread with regard to pixel density…

That would be wise.

Here’s what the inventor of the CMOS, Eric Fossum has to say:

Generally, image quality improves with pixel count, assuming ideal sensor technology. There is only a sweet spot according to a specific technology. The sweet spot is constantly migrating to higher pixel counts. And I am pretty sure that in our life time, there will be gigapixel sensors.

Fill factor is indeed improving and BSI was a big step for improving FF and reducing crosstalk. You can expect pixel sizes less than a micron within 5 years in consumer products and digital biinning of sub-micron pixels to a larger pixel and lower pixel count will give better SNR for the same optics than the equivalent single RGBG kernel size from say 5 or 10 years ago.

All this whining about the megapixel race is a waste of your time and breath. This race results in a rising technology tide that floats all boats, from VGA laptop sensors to DSLRs and astronomical applications. Don’t worry, be happy.

And the supplier of industrial test equipment and software used by the manufacturers (DXO) say this:

Contrary to conventional wisdom, higher resolution actually compensates for noise

organic355
    Free Member

Ive been reading the rumour mills and it looks like the 60D will be replaced by the 70D by March.

Rumor: Canon’s 2013 Roadmap (Lenses, New Rebel, EOS 70D, High Res DSLR)

As this would be for my birthday in Mid february, I am gonna wait and see what happens. The 70D sounds tasty, although it will probably be silly expensive when it is released?

EDIT:

[Rumor] New EOS 70D And 3D Tidbits From Japan (Update – Illustrations and Specs)

Canon EOS 70D
    Compact Body with better AF and continuous shooting than EOS 7D
    22MP and DIGIC5+
    19-point AF
    6 FPS
    Vari-angle display
    Magnesium body
    Photo/Video live view modes
    AFMA

AlexSimon

I didn’t see this mentioned, but may have missed it. The single biggest difference for me between the 650D and the 60D is the viewfinder.
    Bigger and brighter on the 60D (even more on the 7D). Makes all the difference imo.

Other differences that would also sway me to the 60D – Top screen, easier navigation, feels better in the hand (650D feels ok with a grip added, if you like those).

Interesting about the 70D (although there hasn’t been any solid info at all). I’m hoping to buy a 60D when the price falls to £400 on import (currently £475).

I agree that the 40D is still a great camera. There is definitely more to cameras than megapixels. Wouldn’t swap my 40D for a 650D after having tried a 600D for a day.

ampthill

I think you need to go into a shop and try both cameras. The image sensor performance of the 60D and 650d are basically the same.

try and work out what you might want to change while out shooting and then try making the changes. For me that would be

how do i set aperture priority
    how do i change aperture in that mode, where can i see the apertur, shutter speed and iso
    how do i move the Af point
    how do i change the iso
    how do i apply exposure compensation

personally i wouldn’t hold out for the next model. However i might let it supress the price of the current models.

For me the priority would be getting a kit lens with a wider zoom range that the standard 18-55

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I had a good look at these 2 and bought a 650D
    Why?
    Same sensor, same features, same processor (or is the 650 better?) same everything basically. The 60d has some slight detail improvements and an extra display. Big deal. Plus it’s bigger and heavier and I prefer smaller and lighter.

The touchscreen isn’t a gimmick either. I imagine those that are saying so don’t have one..?

d45yth
    Free Member

I’m laughing at those saying go for the 7D if you can stretch to it…the cheapest you can get one for (with lens) is just a touch under a grand, more than twice the price of any of the cameras mentioned. 🙄
    I’d been lending one and was hoping to buy my own due to the quality, mag body and sealing…I ended up buying a Nikon D7000 due to the similar specs but much lower price. Turns out that I like the Nikon more! It has more in-built features plus more buttons which give greater control without having to go into the menus.
    For anyone looking at importing…have a look at Portus Digital. They sell imports but you buy them here in the UK, for similar prices as those from Hong Kong and come with a dealer warranty. I bought my Nikon from them for £619 with lens. 🙂

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I started out with a 450D and moved up to a 60D. 60D fantastic and I much prefer the size/feel and the lcd display on the top. As above, go instore and have a hold of each and see what you prefer. Biggest difference for me was quality of lens, the 18-55 that usually comes with kits will do for the short while but highly likely you will need/want better as you progress…

grantway
    Free Member

Found this test

Canon 60D v 550D v 7D

After reading the above i would be buying the 60D The pivot screen so important

molgrips
    Free Member

Pivot screen is the one non-standard feature I use more than any other.

grantway
    Free Member

Found this deal at Currys for the 06D
    Canon 60D package deal at currys

organic355
    Free Member

thats the 600D

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

After reading the above i would be buying the 60D The pivot screen so important

600 & 650D both have that.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just had a look on the Canon site

650D has a better processor than the 60D, a higher ISO rating, more shooting mode options, better metering

60D has the extra screen, 0.5mp more resolution, higher battery capacity, higher possible shutter speed 1/8000th agains the 650s 1/4000th (I can’t ever remember going over about 1/800th) and a higher flash synch speed of 1/250th against the 650s 1/200th

650D is stainless steel and polycarbonate construction where the 60D is aluminium and polycarbonate
    Both have virtually identical (650 – 5, 60 – 5.3) frame per second rates but the 60 has a bigger buffer so can shoot nearly 3 times the 650s 22 shots before the buffer is full. (Who shoots 22 frames in one go? not many people….)

Of all that lot the only thing that would be any use to me would be the higher flash synch of the 60D. Other than the 650 is, in many ways, the better camera……

Obviously different people need different things, but I can’t see any point lugging around a camera thats nearly 1/2lb heavier and costs £100 more for a little screen and a couple of other bits and bobs…… 🙂

Cougar

thats the 600D

And you should be able to get a better price than that.

Also,

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Canon_EOS_60D
    http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-650D-vs-Canon_EOS_60D

(take with a pinch of salt, but may be helpful)

Ewan
    Free Member

The pivot screen so important

For what? Seems completely pointless to me – isn’t the point of an SLR that you look through the nice bright view finder?

d45yth
    Free Member

For what? Seems completely pointless to me – isn’t the point of an SLR that you look through the nice bright view finder?

Video, but for anything else I agree.

grum
    Free Member

Not really, for me it’s mainly about the image quality. I really like flip out screens – great for when using something like a gorillapod really low down on the floor, or holding the camera way above your head.

5thElefant
    Free Member

You don’t get a “nice bright viewfinder” on any apsc dslr,you get a dark tunnel.

Ewan
    Free Member

My 7D view finder is pretty big.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d/5

Grum – surely the image quality is rubbish compared to looking at the actual image?

Cougar

Useful when you can’t get at the OVF; for instance, when the camera’s up in the air on a monopod, or on the floor doing macro work, maybe.

EDIT – as Grum said. As you were.

grum
    Free Member

Sorry I meant the point of DSLRs is image quality, not the viewfinder.

It’s also handy being able to do stuff you can’t do with an optical viewfinder, like zoom right in to check focus, or see a live histogram. Some Sonys have focus peaking which is good for manual focus lenses. I think there’s a bit of snobbery about flip-out screens for some reason.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Digi SLRs again – Canon 650D or 60D?’ is closed to new replies.