Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Digging on Baildon Moor again (West Yorkshire content)
  • mrelectric

Apologies if you’re not in West Yorkshire.
    There has been some serious digging in & around three old bell-pits NE of Glovershaw quarry. The deal agreed with the Council is that people can cycle on the Moor & Glen but digging is ONLY allowed in the quarry itself.

I know the digging below Dobrudden stopped 2-3 years ago so I’m guessing this is young jumpers/BMXers at work. If anyone on this forum sees/knows any of them can you please ask them to stop immediately before it all kicks off again. There’s a time and a place etc…
    Many thanks.

FYI full FoBM user guide is at: http://baildonmoor.org/wordpress/?page_id=173

Some of these mining pits are 400 years old and are part of our heritage; plus there is a lot of much older archaeology in the immediate area, not to mention rare plant & bird life.

We are fielding some complaints about anti-social riders on other parts of the Moor so don’t want grief for this too.

Cheers,
    David

Chair, Friends of Baildon Moor
    CTC Right to Ride Off-Road volunteer
    Bradford Local Access Forum member

mrelectric

I spent several hours repairing the damage to these 4 bell pits this week. Seems like it was some young BMX lads here. Think I left the site in decent and safe order; visually its not too bad now, but the old natural straight “bomb hole” runs are not as good as they were. There are some natural berms around the edges that are all legit.

We’d appreciate it if anyone who rides up there could pass on the facts of the current policy: that digging is only permitted within the Quarry.
    If there are any more future proposals for the quarry like a pump track or even to stop cycling on the Moor, that would help the cause.
    Many thanks.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What type of anti social complaints are you getting, and which part of the moor?

Will keep my eyes open as I tend to run over the moor once or twice a week. I’ve been keeping off riding up there though as its been so muddy for nearly a year now 🙁

Sancho
    Free Member

The whole Baildon moor access is a piss take, the council tells us all that we need to respect the moor blah blah blah blah, yet they turned half the moor over to a **** golf course which is totally alien to the environment and then go on about respecting the wildlife etc etc until the council destroys the golf course and treat everyone the same they can **** off, the bunch of ****, I cant **** do with the double standards the morons try and impose, we should all start building jumps on the bunkers and **** them off totally and let them get the message that handing over half the moor for a bunch of ball pushers isnt acceptable then and only then will the moors usage reflect the majority of users

Mugboo

Too much beer Sancho 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Lol get you Sancho.

To be honest I don’t like the lads who build stuff up there. Always appears to be spotty teenagers, who do it for a couple of years or so, and then find beer and girls and forget about it after that.

I bet there bet there are more ball pushers up there than anyone else in terms of usage. What is bad though is the amount of dog shit by the swingers car park (other popular moor users)

I like the golf course its great for sledging in winter.

Oh and lets not forget the M1 footpath that was bulldozed right through to the quietest, most pleasent part of the moor 🙁

mrelectric

Thanks for posting all.
    I’m not a golf fan myself but I’d say to each his own. The golf course has been there for over 100 years and to be fair, they keep an eye on the place, do some maintenance on moorland while their rent to the Council helps pay for general upkeep.

The very few irresponsible dogs owners are a concern for fouling and for the effect on ground-nesting birds (season now runs to end of July).

I’m writing up a wider plan for paths and access for the Moor and woodlands. The linking section between the end of the Sconce path and the cabin needs urgent attention & I’ll post options for consultation soon on FB etc.

FuncyDunc, cheers. There are a number of muddy bits but many clear up quicker than I’d expect. The frost has been brilliant.

Some of the complaints I can discount and others are may be due to walkers not being used to bikes on the narrow path (I hear similar things between other user: dog walkers with leads and runners). Other reports though are about groups of riders on the Scone path (your “M1” lol) passing close and at speed without warning. Not good PR and easily avoided.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Mr Electric –

I’m writing up a wider plan for paths and access for the Moor and woodlands. The linking section between the end of the Sconce path and the cabin needs urgent attention & I’ll post options for consultation soon on FB etc.

To be fair I missed this consultation.. however why the hell did it need urgent attention and how on earth did such an eye sore of a bull dozed path get permission to be built over the nice in obstrusive path that was there?

So what it got wet and muddy in winter but that added character. The problem was drainage from the golf course, not the path!! Why not just dig decent drainage channels at the side of the fairways?

I’m afraid to me it makes a nonsense of your initial remarks about digging above, when you then go and put in a big path through one of the quiter more unspoilt parts of the moor.

The only people I ever saw walking/running/cycling up that path were people who know the area and like the solitude/remoteness of it. Now it will become dog walkers paradise and has lost the character of the area.

It beggers belief some times about where money gets wasted… 🙄

johnellison
    Free Member

Dammit. I had high hopes for this thread after mis-reading the title… 😯

compositepro
    Free Member

Dammit. I had high hopes for this thread after mis-reading the title…

why would jogging give you such high hopes for a thread

Euro
    Free Member

Few things more annoying than some do-gooder wrecking jumps. Why didn’t you just make them prettier? Kids riding and building MUST not be tolerated!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Digging on Baildon Moor again (West Yorkshire content)’ is closed to new replies.