Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • digging allotments over……………..
  • ton

omfg
    how **** hard is digging….
    father in law has acquired a allotment from the council.
    it has not been used for 20 yrs, it had been weed killed and strimmed.
    so i volunteered to dig it over.
    my arms, back, knees and hands are in pieces.
    far worse than riding….

FoxyChick
    Free Member

No idea about allotments ton…but some bloke lower down was asking about hiring a camper van… 8)

naokfreek
    Free Member

rotovators are your friend

djglover
    Free Member

I dug my whole garden over to lay turf last weekend, after smashing up a patio with a sledgehammer. Digging is much easier than breaking up concrete. This weekend someone asked me if I had been working out 😆

Ambrose

Just wait until you have to double dig. OMG- it’s SUCH hard work. But my God- it tones you like an Adonis. And then you see the little old blokes in their 70’s and 80’s who have been at it for years and they make it look so easy…

So far this weekend- one big ride plus a load of gardening. Riding is by far easier!

johnhoo
    Free Member

watch out for the potato police.

one stray weed on that newly dug-over patch and you’ll be out on your ear before you can say Alan Titchmarsh

meehaja
    Free Member

Work those abs! I’ve had to dig mine and our lasses… its the blisters that kil me!

tankslapper
    Free Member

Ton

Its easy mate – I’m just about to break my new allotment in – with a digger!

That said a mistake I make when digging over ground is to use a blokes spade, that was until I saw ‘He who shall remain nameless (Alan Titchmarsh) boasting he uses a ‘ladies’ garden fork. I thought this was twaddle until I tried it myself. Saves your back, arms and legs if your doing a large area manually.

If its not been dug in 20years consider digging plenty of humus in – or book a hastily contrived trip to Alpe d’huez 😆

Creg

For the last week Ive been digging over our garden for the parent, hasnt been touched in over 15 years.

7 days, of 8 hours a day of just digging…**** isnt the word for it. Finally got the last of it done today, double dug as well. Now I have to start on making the beds and planting the veggies.

🙁

jimster
    Free Member

Aah, takes me back to when I acquired my allotment off the council. They said it’d take two months to clear the area – I volunteered to do it myself and had it rent-free for two years. 😀

Then went onto to double-dig it – the woman of the house couldn’t believe how much more toned I became. 😀 I felt awful!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘digging allotments over……………..’ is closed to new replies.