Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Different tyre front & rear (pro & cons)?
  • sefton
    Free Member

I’m going tubeless (as I have Shimano MT65 tubeless ready wheels).

I would like a top quality tyre (that’s relatively light)

I ride around the west Pennines (Rivington/Belmont) and a monthly trip to the lakes.

I ride Rock Lobster HT.

I’ve heard good things about Nobby Nics but I’ve also noticed lots of people running Nobby Nics up front & Ralph’s at the rear.

What are the pro’s & cons of running this combo?

As I’m new to Tubeless I need something reliable & relatively tough too.

Thanks

neninja
    Free Member

I run a 2.25 Nobby Nic front with a 2.1 Ralph rear during the Summer. It’s great when it’s pretty dry but the Ralph struggles if it gets too muddy.

sefton
    Free Member

bloody hell different widths too??

wider up front? I would assume a wider rear would be better (I know nothing though)! ha

chiefgrooveguru

The Bontrager XR4 2.2 is a great all-rounder, front and rear, especially for tubeless. I’d run them both in the front direction. Heavier, knobbier, tougher and cheaper than a Nobby Nic and holds up well with low pressures. If I was running tubed I’d swap the rear for something quicker but just as big (CrossMark?) in the summer. I like big rear tyres on HTs and then the front has to be just as big to grip enough.

sefton
    Free Member

The BikeRadar shimano mt65 review says:

“The 19mm rim just about supports 2.2in trail tyres, but we wouldn’t ?t wider ones”

I do like the idea of slightly fatter tyres.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not a fan of this tyres stuff Rivvy is hard as you a want a crossmark type tyre for the metallised [stony tracks]roads bits but if you ride any of the mud sections you want a grippier tyre
    That said I have never crashed there due to tyre choice so I think it is generally a load of guff that folk worry too much about get what you like
    I ride a rock lobster there amongst other hsave use mud tyres – too much resistance on mnon mud sctions
    Panracer cinder – ok
    Crossmark – not very grippy but fast rolling and low wear – I cycle on road to get there so tend to use this tbh
    conti something or other was ok
    etc

DaddyCool
    Free Member

I run 2.35 Maxxis Minion DH Single Ply (Front) on front and rear. Running them tubeless fine. Would defo recommend this set up. Back steps out predictably and front seems to hold well. A good winter tyre set up. Gotta be high rollers for any summer riding! (if its dry…)

sefton
    Free Member

just ordered 2 nobby nic tubeless.

how much weight do you think I’ll save (I’m currently running panaracer fire xc with tubes)

plus I always carry 2 spare inners!

lunge

Ignoring the “what tyre?” question and instead focussing on “why different for front and back?” the theory is as follows:

Up front you want something nice and grippy as if the front slides you generally end up on the floor. In theory at least a big tyre has a bigger contact area so is more grippy. You’ll also find people run soft compound tyres (SuperTacky) on the front for this reason.

At the back a lot of people choose to live with a little less traction in exchange for a tyre that has less rolling resistance. These are often a slightly harder compound and sometime a little thinner.

Using your example, a NN upfront is a grippier than a RR which rolls a little faster.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Different tyre front & rear (pro & cons)?’ is closed to new replies.