• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Different saddle on the turbo trainer?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Does anyone use a different saddle when using the turbo trainer? Or does it always get uncomfy getting on for an hour?

Saddles that are fine on the road, are just torture on the turbo. Some better than others but it’s probably the discomfort on a lot of sessions rather than the effort that causes the trouble.

scaredypants

same saddle here – that said, I’m in a much more static position on the turbo than I am on the road so I can see that it could be more likely to cause trouble

beej

I use my usual saddle on a usual bike. I’ve done 4 hour sessions, it does need the odd bit of standing up as you don’t tend to move as much on the turbo.

How well does your saddle fit though? It took me years to find the right one – I can do 12 hour rides without any problems now.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I use the same roadie saddle outdoors that I do indoors on turbo. Hurts WAY more on the turbo, it’s definitely because of it being a much more stagnant position. I try to keep moving around as much as possible, stand up a bit and just generally sit up etc.

jonno101
    Free Member

My winter (turbo) bike has way more padded seat. Also try small towel folded couple of times. Bit annoying when in and out of saddle but helps.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Long turbo sessions I’ll often have a short break every hour or so, just a couple of minutes and a change of shorts (sweaty pads are not nice.) Have played around a bit with saddle on the turbo now just ride the same as on the road bike in the same position, it gets uncomfortable but they all do. I will sometimes switch the bike between road and TT setup and do a block in the middle in TT setup, the changing of position makes things less uncomfortable for a while.

stumpy01

I find the saddle I use on the road gets very uncomfy on the turbo. Thinking about swapping it for a nice cushy WTB..

schmiken

I use the turbo bike to break in saddles. It’s uncomfortable but works.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yeah, seems I find most saddles either comfy or bearable out on the road, but on the turbo being in mostly the same position must be the issue.

Just wondered if anyone was going to advocate a bigger more padded saddle or if it was just a losing battle.

fossy

Same saddle, but it’s because you aren’t up and out of the saddle like you are outside which causes the discomfort.

simondbarnes

Spesh Toupe, which I’ve used for years on road & cross bikes and find v comfy isn’t great for me on the turbo. Spesh Power (which I’ve been using on my fixie) also find v comfy works well for me on the turbo.

TiRed

I use a different saddle, just because that’s on the bike on the turbo. Just get up and down more if it’s uncomfortable.

Arione on all my road bikes, Aliante on the turbo, slightly more comfortable design, apparently, but then I spent 12 hours on the tip of a TT saddle, so I’m probably not the best judge!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Different saddle on the turbo trainer?’ is closed to new replies.