Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • difference between float r and rp23
  • alex222
    Free Member

What is the difference? If I were to get a pushed float R or a pushed rp23, obviously one has more adjustment etc but what do they have? I never fiddle with settings at all once I've had them tuned for me. Currently have a swinger air can which is poo and I want to upgrade.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, you shoud fiddle! 🙂

RP23 has selectable Pro Pedal. Turn it off, it desends better, turn it on, it climbs better, in a nutshell. And then you have 3 levels of Pro Pedal to choose from. Find which you prefer, or which suits todays particular ride, and stick with it. 🙂

Having had one, I wouldn't get another Float R shock where I couldn't turn the PP off and on, they just aren't sensitve enough IMO.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think it depends on the frame geom – mate has a Float R on his Marin quad link (2010) and pedal bob is not too much of a problem so desn't miss the RP23?

I wouldn't like the R on my Orange five though think it would bob too much on the uphills 🙂

glenh
    Free Member

*slaps head again*

Float R has propedal. You just can't switch it off.

alex222
    Free Member

I have a reign. As for fiddling, I used to wind my forks up and down, then I gave up because I kept forgetting to wind them back out before decsending. As for settings once my rebound and compression are set I very rarely change them. I fiddled with the flood gate a bit on my pikes but not much.

alex222
    Free Member

Right so as I've got a maestro link I don't want propedal?

foxyrider
    Free Member

No – float R is basically no off/on pro-pedeal unlike the RP23 – 2 part = 2 adjustments i.e. pro-pedal on or off . 3 part = 3 different softness's of propedal – firm, medium and soft (nearly off). If your frame is not susceptable to bob then you may get away without needing pro-pedal on and off and therefore the R set to your level of softness maybe all you need i.e. for the descents 🙂

Pro-pedal is basically increased dampening for speed on teh flats and to prevent pedal bob 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

For a fit and forget (except checking air pressure/sag occasionally) a custom tuned Float R will work quite well.
    For more choice after the tune RP23 as already said 'soft/medium/hard' Propedal/low speed compression option and on/off too.
    Either way it will be an improvement over the swinger.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hi Alex, I have a Reign with an RP2 (large air can).

It's very plush but goes through the travel very quickly without the Propedal on – and very taut but loses a bit of traction with the PP on.

I was going to get it Pushed, because I had the Float R done on my Trance and it was a fantastic improvement. Taut but supple and controlled. Never missed a propedal lever.

But now I have a new 5" bike arriving this week so I'm going to sit tight and see if I really need my Reign any more.

Basically I'd go for the Pushed Float R if I were you. I think it'll be better than the RP23 in any of it's several settings.

chakaping
    Free Member

Pushed shock is better if you're not a fiddler too, obviously.

alex222
    Free Member

The cost was the main reason for me asking, nearly £80 cheaper for a pushed shock form tf.

lyons
    Free Member

I had a dw link bike, with no need for a propedal shock. They sent me out a new float r with max propedal after I blew up the 5th element that came on it. It felt rubbish so got them to swap it for one with minimum pro pedal… It was amazingly plush… Basically, if your frame doesn't need it, get the float. Ride it for half a dozen rides then get it tuned?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘difference between float r and rp23’ is closed to new replies.