• This topic has 19 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Difference between Black Box & 2014 Motion Control DNA – experience please
  • Vortexracing

Got some forks off JHannibalSmith off here, (cheers they are spot on) I wanted them for my 5 Spot, for two reasons, they are new and they are black (vain I know, but what the hell). The current fork I have on is a Revelation RLTi with black box damping.

This is, and has been a great fork, It works really well on Rocky descents such as in the lakes and keeps things stable and composed.

So I know the latest motion control damping with DNA is different than the original (such as fitted to the first Pikes etc).

The question is this

is the Motion control DNA (2104) as good as the black box damping in my existing forks?

cheers

Chucky

benpinnick

The Black Box damper adds some weight tweaks etc, but mainly its the addition of high speed compression to the compression damping, which offers more control on the big hits… whether you would notice that or not…

Vortexracing

just the same as when I got my Motion control pikes ‘Pushed’ then?

which by the way made quite a difference IMHO.

benpinnick

Pikes aren’t moco – they are Charger, charger dampers have all the ‘Blackbox’ type valving in them already.

Northwind

benpinnick – Member

Pikes aren’t moco

Except the moco ones- 426 etc

Vortexracing

It was the old 454/426 ones I meant, not the new ones

retro83
    Free Member

Push upgrade on old Pikes is a rebound mod. I know nothing of blackbox but from the posts above it sounds like this is a similar (speed sensitive) setup on the compression side.

benpinnick

Except the moco ones- 426 etc

True Dat.

jairaj

but mainly its the addition of high speed compression to the compression damping

Note the high speed compression is not externally adjustable. I *think* you can modify the shim stack if the setting isn’t suitable for you but there is not adjust knob.

Also do both Black box and DNA versions contain the dual flow rebound circuitry too?

I upgraded a set of 2011 RS Revs with basic RL damper to RCT3 and Loco suggested I upgrade the rebound damper to the newer dual flow version as in his opinion it would be more beneficial than just popping in a new damper.

Vortexracing

Also do both Black box and DNA versions contain the dual flow rebound circuitry too?

These 2014 Revs RL do have the dual flow rebound which Loco has just informed me is the same as in the BB.

Additionally does anybody know if the gold/silver adjuster on the top of the BB damper just controls threshold (floodgate I think it was termed) in the locked position or does it control threshold in all the low speed positions?

LoCo
    Free Member

The rebound dampers in the DNA and RLT TI/Team are both Dual flow units (or Rapid recovery in latest models)
    This is similar/as good as to what Push used to produce, with stops the fork from ‘packing down’ on repeated hits.

The RLT-TI compression damper threshold/gate gold dial adjusts the amount of lift on the base/flow plate of the damper that the compression dial rotates covering or uncovering the ports into the damper and has an effect through out both dials movement as they are interrelated.

Vortexracing

Thanks Loco, I didn’t want to ring up and bother you again, and it was one question I forgot to ask. 😳

Thanks for your time on the phone this morning.

So the gold dial has an affect in all blue dial positions?

LoCo
    Free Member

No problems.

Yes to a certain extent, although you can just think of it as a ‘blow off’ on when the fork is fully locked out.
    Saying that I just used to put mine on full so the fork used to lockout fully when needed for road sections etc

Vortexracing

Saying that I just used to put mine on full so the fork used to lockout fully when needed for road sections etc

that’s all I do with the current RLti

oh and lastly will a RCT3 compression cartridge out of a 29er Rev fit the 26er Rev, just like the BB one from the RLTi?

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes all interchangeable, we’ve done quite a few conversions/custom builds to RCT3/dual flow/rapid recovery into 32mm Pikes, sektors & Revs.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve used both systems on the same fork. I couldn’t honestly say I noticed the difference. The dual flow/Push-type rebound upgrade on older Pikes is a much more significant change, but the compression side is far less noticeable ime anyway.

Vortexracing

Cheers loCo, no more questions I promise 🙄

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes, certainly the difference between the ‘old’ rebound system and newer Dual flow/ rapid recovery systems was very marked.
    The performance on the compression side less so, unless going from basic RL to an RCT3 unit.
    Still waiting for them to produce a Charger damper for the rev 😉

Vortexracing

Still waiting for them to produce a Charger damper for the rev 😉

does that wink mean there is one in the wings?

LoCo
    Free Member

Not as far as I know.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Difference between Black Box & 2014 Motion Control DNA – experience please’ is closed to new replies.