Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Diets for increased activity…
  • BIGMAN
    Free Member

Currently I ride twice a day. Two 11miles commutes.
    On the days I don't commute I will ride the BMX track or the Dh bike.
    At a weekend I will do Two 20mile rides as well as getting out on the DH or 4x bike both days.

At the moment I currently consume

Protein Shake in a morning.
    Sandwhich for lunch – 2 slices of seeded bread.
    Proper Tea ( although if in late I will have another shake)

During the day I will snack – flapjack is a favourite.

Drink 3 litres of water a day as a minimum.

Asking people in the know do you think this diet is sufficient? Should i eat somthing more substantial in a morning?

clubber
    Free Member

Hard to say. I've certainly trained hard and eaten less than that when deliberately losing weight and been fine but it's very dependent on you individually.

Some people can get up in the morning and ride for 3+ hours with no food, others would bonk after 30mins.

Why are you asking? Are you losing lots of weight/feeling weak/faint/hungry?

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

If you're feeling fine, and maintaining your weight (assuming you're not trying to lose weight) then stick with it. If you're losing weight and you don't want to, try and get more calories and what not in your diet. Its a matter of making small tweaks and seeing what happens.

I'm no professional in the matter but everyone is different so it strikes me as just keep going with what works for you.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

I seem to be gaining weight at the moment even though my calorie intake has not really changed..

On days i eat less though I find the intensity I can ride is reduced.

I just wondered if anyone had any meal type suggestions! Is the protein shakes adequate when skipping meals?

HTTP404
    Free Member

Your activity level looks high and your diet looks ok. I find the protein shake thing questionable. But I am also wondering why you're putting on weight. Weight fluctuates through the day. Do you weigh yourself at the same time everyday?

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you are not losing weight then you have enough calorific intake.

You don't seem to eat much fruit/veg tho.

molgrips
    Free Member

You don't need a protein shake. Only body builders need to drink those. Normal athletes (at least those doing the amount you are) get all the protein they need from a normal balanced diet. Bulking up would be counter-productive for a cyclist. This might be why you gain weight.

Also you might have a tendency to gain weight during exercise by building muscle. The only way to get around that is to go longer and slower I think. But that changes your riding style. Sounds like you could be the type of athlete that has more fast-twitch muscle, or the sprinter's physiology.

Oh and flapjack is usually very fatty and extremely high in energy. Don't eat it!

MSP

"don't eat flapjack" are you insane man!!!

Esme
    Free Member

I think the key is: "During the day I will snack – flapjack is a favourite."

As molgrips says, flapjack is very high in fat (and sugar) – and only okay in limited amounts

Could you snack on fruit, or delicious crunchy carrots, instead?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Have you looked into liver lollies as a tasty protein shake replacement?

hels
    Free Member

Your food list a bit vague, if Proper Tea involves loads of cheese, bread and other fatty stuff that might be your culprit.

If Proper Tea is a nice big healthy salad with lean meat then you are OK.

And what is in a protein shake btw ? Flapjacks have loads of sugar and butter too.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Generally its a maximuscle shake in a morning. Only reasone for that over eating is a have 3 horses to do before my commute so I can drink it while walking to the stables.

Lunch comprises of
    2 slices of seeded bread
    low fat margarine
    2 slices of ham
    2 slices of cheese
    cucumber & tomato
    low fat mayo

Evening meal is
    Chicken/Fish/Red Meat
    Some form of carbs
    At least 2 veg

Unless stated I am in late and I somtimes skip.

Yeh I think the flapjack thing needs to be cut out. Only tend to eat them really if I am having a longer session on the bike that night.

Also eat dried fruit as a snack and apples.. Not a huge fan of bananas although there good for me.

molgrips
    Free Member

You'd be better off with energy bars or cereal bars or something for breakfast I reckon. Protein is not fuel for exercise at all. You'd ride better with some carbs inside you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Diets for increased activity…’ is closed to new replies.