Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Diesel track world – Oil extractors
  • Ewan
    Free Member

Does anyone have an oil extractor – I’m thinking of getting a Pela 6000 one which seems to get good reviews. The only problem is my new van (2010 Renault Trafic) has about 7L in the engine and the Pelas capacity is 6L. The bigger ones cost more so is there any issue with just sucking out 3L, emptying and then sucking out the rest?

Also, not having had a diesel before / done oil changes, what on earth do you empty the old stuff into. I was planning on buying some 5L mineral water jugs and using that before taking to the tip (/leaving in my shed for 15 years)?

swillybey
    Free Member

I use a Pela one, nothing stopping you from emptying out a bit of old oil before you remove the rest from the sump.

I have a bunch of old 5l containers full of old oil in the garage. So start with full new oil, empty old oil into Pela, put new oil in engine, bang old oil from pela into now empty oil container, store on shelf for 15 years.

Helps if the oil is warm / hot before you do this as its less viscous and easier to pump.

I’ve done the last 10 or so changes like this and the pump pays for its self after the first couple.

andyl
    Free Member

hmm, that would save me having to remove the undertray. But I generally take the chance to check things over while I am under there.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Suggsey
    Free Member

So all the sludge and metal filings are left at the bottom of the sump ready for the fresh oil to circulate it into the fresh filter? Surely it’s got to be easier to just traditional sump drain?

garage-dweller

That looks blooming ace, just you tubed to see how it works. If I end up on home car maintenance again that’s going straight on the shipping list.

garage-dweller

And Suggsey, might have just ruined it for me…although I don’t recall heaps of sludge ever coming out of my sump when doing a change.

andyl
    Free Member

So all the sludge and metal filings are left at the bottom of the sump ready for the fresh oil to circulate it into the fresh filter? Surely it’s got to be easier to just traditional sump drain?

In all honesty I’ve never found “sludge” or filings in my oil drained from the sump or when I have removed the sump and cleaned it out. It is also possible for sludge and particles to sit somewhere inside the sump and not drain out as sumps do have largely flat bottoms. I don’t doubt there are very fine metal particles and other nasties in the oil but I think they are pretty well contained in the bulk of the oil not as deposits in the bottom of the sump waiting to be easily drained out.

I do share concerns over pumping the oil out though, but if you can run the engine first to warm it up and the probe goes right down to the base of the sump then it might be okay

Ewan
    Free Member

Lots of people worry about the sludge. Lots of other people say that modern oils and changing the filter t the same time make it a non issue. Others point out that they get more out with the pump than with the sump drain point. Others still point out that boats don’t have sump plugs and do ok…

I’m lazy and apparently garages tend to use oil extractors, so I’m going to get one… sounds like my plan will work if i find some containers.

Point noted on the make sure it’s warm before you do it.

swillybey
    Free Member

No problems here pumping oil out over the past 4 years and about 80k miles.

The pumping method also allows you to suck oil from the filter housing and all the little nooks and crannies, and obviously the end of the tube can be poked and moved about within the sump to get any corners or pockets of oil that might be sat there.

I go with the ethos of buying my own oil and filters for about £30 a shot and doing it twice as often (5k miles) than paying £60 for someone else to do it.

But hey each to their own. If you have the facilities to jack the car up place axle stands, remove under tray, remove drain plug, fit new drain plug, replace under tray and remove jacks then go for it, some people are limited to the road outside or whatever.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have seen sludge out a badly maintained diesel, the oil was so thick I’m surprised the engine hadn’t expired. If they were that great and such a comprehensive oil change device why aren’t all the service depts using them? Answer is because they don’t remove all the contaminated oil etc.
    There was once an ace device that replaced your standard sump plug for a one way valve plug that you just push fit a hose into it to drain the oil……that didn’t make it in into the automotive field either.
    If you want an easy oil change just spend a couple of £100k on the new sports car with oil cassette…. (Sorry can’t remember the motor)
    Seriously if you’re planning on keeping the van and not paying out for a new engine at some point do the job properly….

andyl
    Free Member

I maintain my cars properly, use decent (OEM) filters so anything should really be in the filter. If you do a lot of mileage so do regular oil changes (more than once a year) then pumping could save a lot of messing around say every other or 2 out of 3 changes.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I can see the reasons you may use the pump method I’m just anal when it comes to vehicle maintenance…..use a torque wrench, new sump washers etc etc etc but then I tend to get huge mileage out of my cars before I get rid of them, plus I always have the time, tools, and a driveway.

Edric64
    Free Member

What`s an oil change ?!I just buy cars that burn oil and keep topping it up !

Ewan
    Free Member

If they were that great and such a comprehensive oil change device why aren’t all the service depts using them?

From what i’ve read on the internet quite a few do. The example most frequently cited is BMW.

Obviously this is what i’ve read on the internet so may be bollocks.

The van has been well maintained so i’m hoping its not full of sludge. The first time I do it i may also open the sump plug once i’ve got rid of most of the oil just to see if there is any sludge or not. (Plus that way I don’t have to find a 8L washing up bowl!)

falkirk-mark

To everyone saying about getting all the sludge out you need to remove the drain plug that is only fine if your car does not have a recessed plug. the manufacturer recommends using a vac pump on the 1.6 HDI engine in my car. If you want to be anal remove the sump in your car and half the mileage that you change your oil.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I’ve got one and have used it a bit. Sometimes I use it to suck out the majority of the oil, then jack it up and drain via plug too. Saves the hot gush up your arm…..

Only ever get an extra 100ml or so out of the plug, and it’s not sludgy.

I’d say regular (10k or less) intervals and the suction method are fine.

timba
    Free Member

Speak nicely to the local school caretaker, plenty of empty 5L cans available; just swill the last bits of disinfectant, floor polish, etc out

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Suggsey – Member
    I can see the reasons you may use the pump method I’m just anal when it comes to vehicle maintenance…..use a torque wrench, new sump washers etc etc etc but then I tend to get huge mileage out of my cars before I get rid of them, plus I always have the time, tools, and a driveway.

Flip side I’m not…
    Of the last 4 UK vehicles I had 3 were diesels and filters were changed about 3-5k late each time. Of those the Van had hose issues when I sold it, the Audi had lots of none engine issues and the golf was just beat up, all three were over 250k miles, mostly done with halfords filters and oils.

Not advising it as best policy but suggesting correlation not causation from your observations.

Xylene
    Free Member

Why use jugs to keep it in? Just pour it down your neighbours drain at night time.

Ewan
    Free Member

Well i’ve bought one…. I will let people know how I get on!

squirrelking
    Free Member

On suitable containers see if you can get a hold of a 20l oil container, we use them in work all the time and they have the handy pull out spouts for emptying at the tip. Mobil use them, other brands are available. General contents seem to be bearing oil but I have seen truck engine oil as well. Marine services may be a good place to look.

Oh and some manufacturers dont have sump plugs, I wouldn’t worry…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Diesel track world – Oil extractors’ is closed to new replies.