Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)
  • Diesel or Petrol?
  • amatuer

Just got rid of a petrol Mondeo and bought a diesel Accord and I'll never make the mistake of buying a family sized petrol car again. What a difference! The mondeo wouldn't pull you out of bed and only got 34mpg on a good day. Took the Accord up to the ski slopes last month and got 54mpg. Not got it service yet, but the insurance was only £20/year more.
    Had diesels before I had the Mondeo and I have to wonder where you guys get your cars serviced. Cheaper servicing was one of the reasons I bought the petrol and was shocked at my first servcing bill – not cheaper at all.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mastilles – so 2.0 petrol that squeezes two people in the back, is good on fuel and sporty – hmmm. Audi A3 TSFI? BMW 120i? Golf GTi mk5 or 6?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Or maybe Seat Leon Cupra R?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Audi TT (new style) 😀

(And I can get two full grown adults in the back but it is very funny watching them get in and out).

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I wondered about the TT actually.

My diesel estate is much quicker 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My diesel estate is much quicker

Go on then – do tell…

(Mine is pretty damn quick but I do accept there are much quicker cars out there).

But I bet mine will go into and back out of a corner MUCH quicker than yours though 👿

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

335d Touring.

Yes it's an auto, diesel estate but it has over 300bhp and 428lbs/ft 😉

I like the latest TT – wasn't keen on the last one. I see a black TTS every day – nice car.

Our other car is a 1.3 Jimny (wifes) – about the slowest car you can get but great off road and for parking 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

335d Touring.

Yes it's an auto, diesel estate but it has over 300bhp and 428lbs/ft
    Nice – on my list for the next car (need to get a family car when the lease is up on this one).

I was gonna get a 325 coupe but the lease on the TT was over £100 a month less so it was a no-brainer. I do like it lots though 🙂

I also drove my cousin's RS4 estate a few weeks ago. Not as quick to 40 as mine, but MUCH quicker as your speed goes up. Lovely motor.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Well if you ever need any info, do shout. I'm am a total 335d bore! My first BMW though – the image put me off for years but glad I bit the bullet and went for one – it's a very good all rounder.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I must admit, on seeing those figures, it will be high on my list next autumn 8)

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

If you're brave you can go to DMS/Evolve and bump that up to 350bhp and 520lbs-ft – I'm not brave enough though – it can already be a bit of a handful in the wet (with traction off) and them tyre bills would be eye watering!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Whatever I get it'll be on a lease (paid through my business) so there will be no tinkering at all.

Still, a RWD with traction control off would be fun (RWD was the reason I initially wanted the 3 series coupe).

Mine just spins on itself if I switch off the electronic nanny.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Jeez, have you heard us 😆

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

MF – I had a Golf R32 (mk4) a while back with similar AWD to your TT (assuming you don't have a FWD one?). Very competent but not as fun as RWD.

This sort of chat got me thrown off BikeRadar – the car hating nazis got me…!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I only have the FWD variant. Driving the RS4 made me realise that for the majority of the time in the UK I would be better off with AWD (when I want to get decent grip in anything but perfect dry conditions).

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

The TT system is Haldex though (like the Golfs was) so very much FWD biased. The RS4 has "proper" torsen 4WD like Evos and Imprezas have.

I tested an Evo FQ360 (IX) a while back and was utterly gobsmacked at how well it stuck to the road while doing an impression of a ballistic missile. Proper weapon but shame it does around 15mpg and needs servicing every 4500 miles! It honestly made an RS4 seem slow in comparison (a mate has one).

will
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – Member
    Yep – 2.5 times worse than a V8 Range Rover due to being made all over the World and using nasty stuff in the batteries. Not good. The Prius makes me angry.

Not only do you have one of my favourite "normal" cars, you also hate the Prius 😀 Hero 😆

I'm not going to bore everybody but my 175bhp Seat ibiza is great, wouldn't swap for any other fuel. Ow yeh, it's a diesel 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Decent diesel + hill = :mrgreen:

andrew156
    Free Member

This sort of chat got me thrown off BikeRadar – the car hating nazis got me…!

You left you didnt get thrown off…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

No – I got banned just after telling them to stop being such pillocks. Seems a few here agree with me.

andrew156
    Free Member

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12696104&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

..of mods locking my threads for no good reason other than some weird hang about my hefty knowledge of cars and decent motor.

So cheerio chaps – I can do without this board if that's how the moderation is to be carried out.

I may return if you stop being so bloody childish.

Looks like you and your 'hefty knowledge'left of your own accord…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Andrew – well when I tried to reply to a few PMs (in support) it said I am banned.

So I guess I got banned!

Who cares anyway?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Wife has now just pointed out the Honda Jazz. Anyone know what they're like for fitting bikes in?

john_drummer
    Free Member

no but they come with free flat cap, travel rug & thermos flask 😉

will
    Free Member

As well as a top speed 15mph below the limit of the road… stay clear!

bikefish85
    Free Member

my hefty knowledge of cars and decent motor.

And you wonder why people take the piss.

You got banned, as everyone can see, for your massive inferiority complex.

jam-bo

and not the first forum you've thrown your toys out of the pram on….

molgrips
    Free Member

We looked at Honda Jazz, they look brilliant! The seats fold away into nothing and there's tons of room. Great – I'd have seriously considered one if they came in diesel.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Are we saying it's a car that's going to get me a bit of stick from my mates?

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Personally: 1.6 or smaller engine: petrol. 1.8 or bigger engine: diesel.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Honda Jazz's are very good – and the Yaris was until they all broke.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

And I think aka is spot on there re engine sizes.

tonyg2003

Surf-Mat

I'm thinking of changing cars and the 335d touring is a strong contender. How do they ride – are they really hard? I'd like a diesel auto next and there aren't many quick diesel autp alternatives around. Nothing maybe except anyone german diesel 6cyclinder.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Tony – it depends slightly on how you sped it. I went for 17" wheels and ditched the Run Flats as soon as I could – this improved the ride very much. With big wheels and run flats they can be a bit crashy. Once that's sorted it's a very comfortable car – 3 hour drives are a breeze. I've got M Sport suspension on mine (it's an SE) which sharpens things up a bit but SE set up is fine and even comfier.

Also look at the Merc E350CDI and possibly the Audi A4 Avant 3.0TDI – but the Beemer is a fair bit pokier, quicker and better on fuel. Not much else that you can get that's similar (and non German).

MTT
    Free Member

traildog
    Free Member

I've been going through this myself. One of the problems is that most of the advice work out that you keep a car 3 years, which isn't very long in my opinion.

I have kept my car 10 years and am now considering changing. It's a fast(ish), 2 litre petrol and while I get low 30s if I drive it hard, I can get over 40mpg on mixed driving and 45+mpg on motorway driving. Servicing is 100pound a year generally but it's just had a major for 180. It's a Primera so a similar size to the Passat mentioned above which is getting 50mpg and is being branded as great economy. In comparison, it's looking good value for money and it's a big car which is where a diesel should be better. Economy and performance drops if it's laden up and I guess this is where a diesel would excel.

I quite fancy a Honda Jazz also and would probably get a petrol.

molgrips
    Free Member

Traildog – newer cars are heavier than old ones because they have a lot more metal and safety features.. a 10 year old Primera will be lighter than a new one and probably slightly smaller too.

In the modern range of cars you're looking at a 25-50% improvement in mpg with diesels I reckon.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Same here. WE're now wondering if it's worth getting something new. We imagine having a new car for 15 years or buying a three year old car and having it 12 years. Just wondering if the extra money up front is worth 3 years extra piece of mind.

molgrips
    Free Member

Onzadog – don't buy a new car. It's a rip off. I'd say buy at least 1 year old or possibly 3, and save a ton.

I bought my car 3 years old, cost about half what it new, and it's still to all intents and purposes a new car. Plus the dealer gave me a year's warranty. Sure, new new is quite nice but at double the cost? No way.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I know you speak sense…but it's soooo shiny!!!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘Diesel or Petrol?’ is closed to new replies.